• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New weapons for Vergil

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Anyone thought of new weapons that can suit Vergil?

New melee weaponry & firearms?

Yamato & the summoned swords are getting boring.

How about Vergil wield a rapier, new gauntlets & shinguards since Beowulf, a polearm.

A shotgun can be useful for Vergil for a change too.

Viper

Premium
It's usually a well-known canon that Vergil avoids guns.
Maybe they could explore fighting styles and Japanese weapons beyond the katana? They had plenty to go through, although I don't think iron fan would quite fit Vergil, unless there is a mission where he crossdresses as a geisha. XD

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Vergil avoids guns, but it's not like he's never used one.

He doesn't need guns as his summoned swords act as projectiles.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
As far as I know, only once, and just in a brief moment of brotherly comradery, to finish off an enemy. He wouldn't use guns as one of his main means of fighting, so giving him a gun in a future game would be totally out of character.

Not exactly. As far as we were shown, it was only once. However, it could denote some sort of past experience/potential partnership with Dante that had him using guns as weapons.

Because DMC's story is so ambiguous, we're unlikely to ever know.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
However, we can't but assume that he does not, in fact, use guns, since everything points to that.

Also, considering his natura superhuman abilities, I don't think being good with a gun is unachievable without having used them extensively before.

Good point.

But I agree, I don't think it would ideally fit him as a character.

He has his summoned swords, so bullets are kind of pointless.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Hmm, personally I just can't imagine Vergil with any modern weaponry - especially guns, well maybe something old like a matchlock pistol would be cool.

I can however totally see Vergil stylin' with some traditional Asian weaponry. I'd say that suits him the best given his themes.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
he and Dante even have a signature move involving guns

They don't have a signature move with guns, they have a signature word they used to say as kids. In that moment, they thought it was cool to say it again after a long time as they shot the final bullet into Arkham.

Really, Vergil regularly using guns to fight would be like a Predator using a nunchaku. Just... out of place.

Last edited:

Gray Knight

Re-suggesting the idea that he uses his summoned Sword as melee weapons. Switching between two swords or one sword at a time. Use of one sword at a time would give a Force Edge esque moveset, use of two swords could give some call backs to Agni and Rudra moves.
Use of the swords like Dante used Lucifer in 4 could be an option if Vergil focused on gaining more control of them.
As a ranged weapon I could see him using a longbow.
If one wants to fit with the japanese theme I could see him use a Naginata.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
As a ranged weapon I could see him using a longbow.
It's gotta be Japanese style archery, am I right? :wink:

I also see Vergil as more of a spear guy, rather than a heavier polearm like the Naginata.
800px-Estampe-p1000685.jpg

Gray Knight

It's gotta be Japanese style archery, am I right? :wink:

I also see Vergil as more of a spear guy, rather than a heavier polearm like the Naginata.
800px-Estampe-p1000685.jpg
The Archery thing is partially that, partially the philosophy of it. The Bow requires the strength of the wielder to pull it, whereas a gun can be seen as a crutch to lean on by the weak. (that's why they are called the great equalizers)
I see Vergil as using his summoned swords because he wished to use power that was his own (his devil trigger), that he inherited (force edge/yamato) or that he earned (Beowulf).
Eh, he can use the heavier stuff, Beowulf is actually a pretty heavy hitting weapon and Force-edge is a rather large Broadsword so I can see him going for something a bit above average.

Top Bottom