• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

My Batman v Superman review

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Wow okay, I think the last time I was this mixed on a superhero movie, was, and no surprise there, Man of Steel.
So things I didn't like
First of all, the first half of this movie was BORING, like really boring. Not to mention disjointed and all over the place, there were quite a few scenes that could have been taken out to help with the pacing.
Also, now there were three casting choices for this film that got public outrage, and of those three, the only one I did not have a 180 about is Jesse Esienberg as Lex Luthor, I kept picturing Michael Rosenbaum who played Lex in Smallville, or Bryan Cranston (who was rumored to be in the running) and either one would have been ten times better, I haven't seen this horrible of a miscast in a comic book movie since Topher Grace as Venom.
I also didn't like that Doomsday was in it, he should have been the big bad at the end of like a Superman trilogy, and using him this soon (and that "cliffhanger" ending, I use quotations cause we know it's bull) just killed it
....Now then, what did I like about the movie?
Well, even though the first half was very slow, the second half did pick up, and the overall plot (again minus ending) was decent, and had potential.
It also looks nice, from the cinematography, to the costumes, some of the effects.
Plus, most of the actors were great, Henry Cavil as Superman (bare one shot that had me scratching my head), wasn't as stiff as a 2x4 this time, actually allowed to emote a bit more, and did get p!ssed off at parts. Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, wasn't in the film alot, but was decent with what she did.
But, the big one, lot of people said it, and now that I saw the film, I agree, is Ben Affleck as Batman.
So what do I think of Ben as Batman? Whelp, sorry Christian Bale, but Ben Affleck's my favorite Batman now, yeah I said it.
Ben Affleck is the best Batman yet, he was intelligent, brooding, determined, and just downright brutal, and unlike Christian's (Though admittedly, a little unfair, due to the grounded tone of his Batman movies) this is a Batman I can see taking on super powered beings.
Add the fact that Ben actually looks like he came straight out of the comics, with the costume, and with his physical presence, and the use of a digitally altered voice instead of a series of growls (even if it's never stopped me from liking Christian's Batman), I think Ben's the definitive Batman. So much, if it wasn't for him, I'd probably have scored this film even lower, and, the main silver lining, I can't wait to see Ben Affleck in the character's solo movies, hopefully the rumors of him directing them are also true, he's actually a great director.

EDIT: Overall I rated it 3/5

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Nice review. I pretty much agree with most of the points you made. I'm glad you also made sure it was spoiler-free. I appreciate that :thumbsup:

Now, I also can't wait until we see Batfleck in the solo movies. The funny thing is, I've never been that fond of Batman. I did enjoy the Dark Knight trilogy, and I did like Christian Bale's performance, but I was still never that big on Batman. However, considering that he was the best character in BvS -in my opinion- it's made me like the character a lot more. Which is something that I didn't expect.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I did get called a hypocrite for calling Batman v Superman slow, when 2 years ago, I praised Godzilla 2014 for it's slow build-up.

Difference being, Godzilla, none of it's plot felt like filler trying to set up for latter movies.
Since Gareth Edwards was more concerned with making the first film good (FYI, a couple of years away, but I so can't wait for Godzilla 2 and 3).
Something Zack Snyder could learn a thing about.

EDIT: Also, I can't think of much, if anything, I'd cut out of Godzilla, Batman v Superman....I spent a lot of the first hour going "That could go" "They didn't need this" "Wtf is that?"

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I agree with most of the points, and realizing it now, I think the main reason I like BvS enough to watch it a lot had more to do with seeing WW, and Batman in action. Other then that, the rest of the movie, I was mixed on. I still liked some of the themes and philosophical views it had, but I still stand by my 7.5/10 score.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I agree with most of the points, and realizing it now, I think the main reason I like BvS enough to watch it a lot had more to do with seeing WW, and Batman in action. Other then that, the rest of the movie, I was mixed on. I still liked some of the themes and philosophical views it had, but I still stand by my 7.5/10 score.
Oh yeah I loved the themes too, hence why I mean it did have potential.

I also loved the Dark Knight Returns nods, I got the ultimate edition (Parts 1 and 2 of the animated movie together) downloaded on my ps4, might rewatch it to see how many I can spot

DragonMaster2010

I also loved the Dark Knight Returns nods, I got the ultimate edition (Parts 1 and 2 of the animated movie together) downloaded on my ps4, might rewatch it to see how many I can spot
I especially liked the biggest nods being that "particular" line he says during that "one" scene. I'm sure you'll believe me.

DragonMaster2010

I grinned like a fool during that one

When he busted in I was like
CaT5Z48UMAEGEsh.png

Top Bottom