• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

MVCI Dante (Spoilers)

Veloran

Can we talk about how at the end of this game the clock suddenly strikes Dante O'clock?

TL;DW:
Near the climax everybody has been infected with the Sigma virus and only have a few hours left at most before they fall under his control, and are gearing up for a final attack to take him down.

However they need the fourth infinity stone, the Soul Stone, in order to have a chance at beating him, and Jedah (Who is effectively the antagonist that caused all of the world-collapsing to happen in the first place) still has it and is hold up in Makai.

Dante takes the responsibility of going to defeat Jedah and retrieve it, alone, while everyone else goes on with each of the other missions. If he doesn't come through on this, the entire plan fails and everyone dies. Of course he does beat Jedah and take the stone, but then the stone basically reveals that even with four of the six infinity stones at once, there's no way that they can beat Ultron-Sigma, and Dante says that he'll just do it his own way instead.

Flash forward. Everyone is losing to Ultron-Sigma really hard, when suddenly he reveals that he knows their plans and that it's already ruined - Before they ever got inside his citadel, Dante came to him and offered the Soul Stone in exchange for joining Ultron-Sigma and surviving, betraying them all. Of course this was a ruse, and when Ultron-Sigma attempts to use the Soul Stone on them, it instead backfires and destroys his perfect form because he is a soulless being, and twists him into a monstrosity that can actually be defeated. Subsequently the penultimate fight is basically "save Dante from Ultron-Omega because he's so goddamn angry" and the final fight is Dante and Captain Marvel beating him up while X charges up the big infinity stone buster to destroy him for good.

So, looking at this in totality, I'm actually astounded by how much emphasis they placed on Dante here. I think he has more screentime and story relevance than even Ryu, he beats one of the most powerful Darkstalkers while even more supped up than he ever was in the canon of that series, he tricks and backstabs two of the most intelligent beings in multiple universes to destroy their plans, and at the very end he's the Capcom posterboy for the last battle. In the epilogue, I'm even pretty sure Dante is entrusted with the damn Soul Stone permanently because they can't figure out how to separate the universes yet.

I'm kind of awestruck. This is literally the most story content that Dante has had in like ten years, and it's actually pretty good. The showdown between him and Jedah is basically the highlight of the entire game, not that what it's being shown against is exactly stellar. There's even this great moment after he wins where Dante momentarily pulls a Vergil and is transfixed by the alluring power of the stone, a character trait showing his similarities to Vergil that was basically just informed and not shown for years.

It boggles my mind that they actually gave him this level of focus, even if it was just towards the end.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Yeah, I saw the ending with the betrayal and I still find it... meh. Dante looks so odd and the story feels rushed, like they should've taken a bit more time to do and say stuff rather than going by really fast. It wasn't as bad as I thought but I still can't get behind this game. I think this will be the first game I don't buy with Dante in it. I own most of the other ones, even just cameo titles.

Last edited:

Veloran

Yeah, I saw the ending with the betrayal and I still find it... meh. Dante looks so odd and the story feels rushed, like they should've taken a bit more time to do and say stuff rather than going by really fast. It wasn't as bad as I thought but I still can't get behind this game. I think this will be the first game I don't buy with Dante in it. I own most of the other one, even just cameo titles.
He looks like a sack of bricks rubbed with talcum powder, yes. And yeah, I get that it goes way too fast, even if that's just how crossovers (And most fighting game stories in particular) normally go. Seems to me that they're going to end up running some kind of Injustice-style prequel comic with how much they talk about the "Convergence" and lay out the time-table and all that.

Anyway, the point I was making was that I simply can't believe they actually put so much focus on Dante at the climax. It's almost freakish.

berto

I Saw the Devil
@Veloran
Yeah, I know. From what little I had seen before I thought they were going to glance over him, just have him there because it's a requisite now, I guess. I've yet to see the full story, just started and with 3 hour videos skip is a bit of a delicate thing.

Anyway, I'll keep watching and see where this goes.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Yeah this game had Dante pretty much front and center near the end. I wonder if this is Capcom's way of tying us Devil May Cry fans over until we actually get a DMC5 announcement? Whose to say, really since TGS is coming up. BUUUUUT I've been disappointed before, and so fingers crossed.

Side note: The story feels like one-big rushed Avengers comic from its dialogue to the way they explain things. I get its a fighting game and story has not always been a fighting games bread and butter (Dead or Alive 5 is the biggest example for me) but I just expected something a little...better, I wanna say? It's not bad, just...meh.

The only real genuine good thing though, is the character interactions. Some are cringeworthy, others are genuine fun, and then some just come out of left field.

And I know there wasn't any shown in this cutscene movie, but is it me, or is the gameplay in this game slow as hell? Like Street Fighter sluggish? I saw it in Dante's gameplay, and then in others. I hope it's just me.

Also, yep, everyone still looks terrible. I think it's because Dead or Alive 5 and Injustice 2 have spoiled me when it comes to the way the characters and the environment looks, but this game looks really clay-like. I don't know a better way to explain it, but it looks a bit clay-ish. And some of the male characters look way too bulky like they were drawn by Rob Liefeld.
r9qt6po05e3z.jpg

Other then that, I don't have any other complaints on their looks at all--
yWxbMNL.jpg

A-At all--
marvel-vs-capcom-infinite-06-23-17-1.jpg

A-At--
maxresdefault.jpg

1502908117234_by_dragonswordking2012-dbnw1sw.jpg

Yeesh

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I thought it was a fun suprise but i went in with no expectations so...i'm not dissapointed.

I just really want a DMC x Darkstalkers game because there is a lot of potential in that crossover. To hell with having Bayonetta and DMC in the same world, Capcom should just make DMC/Darkstalkers take place in the same universe.

MVC3 had a marvel comics writer do the interactions between the characters (Frank Tieri) so maybe they did it again?

berto

I Saw the Devil
I think the dude at IGN said it best, that Dante and Chung-Li were made to look like badly produced toy versions of their characters. Here's hoping for future patches.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
DKIuH8HWsAAAtDY.jpg

An artist who does work for SNK drew their own pitch for Dante in a pipe-dream future Capcom vs. SNK game. I have to say, I'm kind of wishing Capcom would recruit artists from their competitors if they aren't going to model the characters effectively themselves.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Goldsickle that would be extra funny if Dagger of cloak and dagger fame was in that scene, being she has light based powers.

or the other captain marvel Monica Rambaeu who goes by Spectrum or Photon.

Veloran

There should have been a scene where Dante is on his knees, cradling a dying Spiderman in his arms, crying: "I SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE ONE TO FILL YOUR DARK SOUL WITH LIIIIIIIIGHT!".
At least he got to be like "You've got no soul, and no way to channel the stone's power!"

Close enough, even if there was no wild inflection.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Veloran
So after watching the game i think Dante had some standout moments with Morrigan and Ghost Rider.

Morrigan trying to flirt with ghost rider was funny tho.

I think him and Dr strange is a partnership you could mine a lot out of.

Him against is Jedah is still the crowning achievement of the game because it made me want DMC x Darkstalkers even more.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
in all honesty, and you can live with denial here, but mvci dante looks like a mix of DMC and DmC.. mainly the more likeable ones..

DMC3 body --that stiff and broad shoulder and skin ofc-- and hair, and body to guns proportion

DMC4 hair and body proportions

DmC face and awkwardly put hair of classic dmc skin..

resulting in a horrendous work of art.. is capcom even serious when doing dante here?????

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
in all honesty, and you can live with denial here, but mvci dante looks like a mix of DMC and DmC.. mainly the more likeable ones..

DMC3 body --that stiff and broad shoulder and skin ofc-- and hair, and body to guns proportion

DMC4 hair and body proportions

DmC face and awkwardly put hair of classic dmc skin..

resulting in a horrendous work of art.. is capcom even serious when doing dante here?????
I have this theory that they originally wanted new Dante to be in MVC Infinite during earlier production (around the time of 2013 or so) and when the negativity hurt the sales of DmC they had to put a white wig and red coat on him at the last second to have classic Dante back.

Last edited:

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
I have this theory that they originally wanted new Dante to be in MVC Infinite during earlier production (around the time of 2013 or so) and when the negativity hurt the sales of DmC they had to this a white wig and red coat on him at the last second to have classic Dante back.

Given the result, i'm buying this theory..

Top Bottom