• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Mortal Kombat Review (PS3, Xbox 360)

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Another most anticipated fighting game this year. This game returns back to old Mortal Kombat days, with the return of Fatalities and bloody violence.

Storyline

961031_20101808_screen004.jpg

The Story Mode takes place after the events of Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, but will travel back time to the first Mortal Kombat tournament.

The story takes place after Mortal Kombat: Armageddon events. Every fighters are killed in a fight brutally, with only two survivors at the tournament. Raiden and Shao Kahn. Shao Kahn was about to deliver the final blow to Raiden, but Raiden sends a warning and visions to the past Raiden in order to prevent this outcome. Then, the past Raiden changes his decisions of choosing fighters in fighting the tournament in order to change the future, in the first Mortal Kombat tournament, and the upcoming two more tournaments.​

The game's Story Mode is a great mode where we can enjoy the altered storyline of the first three Mortal Kombat games. There is more exposure to the characters that flesh out their personalities, like Cyrax, Smoke, Sektor, and others. Most of the characters in the Story Mode have their own highlight moments, giving equal exposure to them. My favourite characters would be Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Kitana, Smoke, and Kung Lao, and I am pleased to see that their personalities did not change much.​

The storyline is very well made, great for both new players and long-time fans to view. With great characters and story, the game has one of the best storyline in a fighting game.​

One problem in the Story Mode is that you can's skip or pause during cutscenes. Only after completing the Story Mode, that you are allowed to skip cutscenes.​

Also, by finishing Arcade Ladder with a specific character, you can view his/her ending, giving some kind of new start for the characters.​

Gameplay

961031_20100903_screen002.jpg

Good old Mortal Kombat fighting, giving bloody experience to all players.

The game features similar gameplay like previous Mortal Kombats. It is a one on one fighting, and the you need to win 2 rounds in order to win a match. You have 4 attack buttons, Front Punch, Back Punch, Front Kick and Back Kick. Each attack buttons attack specific body parts, like Tekken series. Also, you have a Throw button as a grab attack, Block button to block attacks, Tag button to switch characters, and Flip Stance button to switch your fighting stance.​

961031_20110418_screen009.jpg

Fatalities are back in this game, along with Babalities and Stage Fatalities.

After you defeated your opponent in two rounds, you have the option to execute a Fatality, Babality, or Stage Fatality on your opponent. Those moves are violent moves that will kill your opponent outright. In order to do so, you need to perform a button combination to do it.

Each characters have their own special attacks and combo attacks that will help you win in winning the match. If you need help, go to the Moves List in your Pause menu to see what are his/her special attacks and how to do it.

A new feature in this game is a Super Meter. By hitting your enemies or get hit by them, your meter will fill. There are three levels. The first level allows you to use Enhanced versions of your special attacks, the second level allows you to use Breaker to counter an opponent's attack at the right time, and the third level allows you to use X-Ray move.

961031_20110418_screen010.jpg

X-Ray move is one of the most finest addition in this game. All character's X-Ray moves are brutal, but Kitana's is the most brutal.

One of the newest addition in this game is X-Ray moves. Each character have their own specific X-Ray moves that can deal huge damage to enemies. Each character's X-Ray move have different timing. For example, Sonya Blade's X-Ray move can be activated instantly and she will rush down to the opponent, while Sub-Zero's X-Ray move needs to be charged up so that it can deal maximum damage. Learn to use each X-Ray moves to see when to use it, because the X-Rays of each characters are different in terms of usage.​

Arcade Ladder is similar to other fighting games' arcade mode. By defeating an opponent, you will progress further and fight Shao Kahn finally. Each matches will be different opponents, and there are some hidden opponents in a certain level that requires certain conditions to fight.​

961031_20110304_screen006.jpg

You can also have a partner to join you in a Tag match.

You can also play Tag matches with your friends. You can choose two characters of your liking and use them in Tag match. Using Tag Assists are important as your opponent can switch characters anytime they want to. The objective is to defeat both characters in two rounds.​

You have basic Arcade Ladder match, Tag Ladder match, and other types of matches. I will detail those in the Replay Value section. The game features more than 20 characters, which allows players to choose which one as their favourites. I am glad to see my favourite characters return in this game, like Kung Lao, Sub-Zero, and others.​

The gameplay is well made, suitable for all kinds of players. Not much complaint here, but I must address the problem that Shao Kahn in this game are very overpowered, he can just shrug off damage and execute his own move to defeat us, not to mention he has high health and attack power. I have to Retry many times just to beat him in one round.​

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Graphics

961031_20110405_screen004.jpg

One of the best looking fighting game.

The graphics in this game are top notch. Detailed looking characters, bloody, and stylish designs. Also, you can see their damaged models if you have damage the characters enough, like you can see their brains, teeth, bones, etc. You can also see character's internal organs in X-Ray modes, etc. The environment are also well detailed, giving distinct visuals to players.​

The Story Mode is said to use motion capture for the characters, creating great and convincing character's facial emotions.​

Sound

961031_20110418_screen007.jpg

Good soundtrack, with great voice acting.

The game has good soundtrack, for stages, cutscenes, and etc. The game also sports a great voice acting cast, voicing each characters authentically and greatly. My favourite voice actors would be Sub-Zero's, Scorpion's, Kitana's, Smoke's, Kung Lao's, Shao Kahn's, and Raiden's voice actors.​

I have yet to find the option to use custom soundtrack in the PS3 version. I will update this later if I can find it.​

Replay Value

961031_20110405_screen005.jpg

This game have tons of replay value.

Needless to say, the game have a lot of replay value. Here is a list of things you can do in this game, besides playing Arcade Ladder and Tag Ladder.​

• Story Mode - Enjoy the game's revamped and great new story. You will play different characters in each chapters.
  • Test Your Might! - A minigame where it tests your strength to destroy an object.
  • Test Your Luck! - A minigame where roulette reels will give bonuses or penalties in a match.
  • Test Your Sigh! - A minigame where it tests your sight to guess where an object is located under three or more different objects.
  • Challenge Tower - With 300 challenges, complete a challenge in order to proceed and get Krypt Coins.
  • Online Play - Play King of the hill matches, or play online with your friends.
Krypt Coins are used to unlock a number of things, like concept arts, cheat codes, and etc. You can get Krypt Coins by doing Story Mode, the minigames, Challenge Tower, winning matches, and etc.

For PS3 players, you have a bonus character, which is Kratos from the God of War series. He has his own special moves, as well as his own Fatalities.

The replay value in this game is simply a lot, with lots of things to do. It is worth the money of buying it.

Conclusion

961031_20110418_screen003.jpg

Great game with tons of replay value. Plus, Sub-Zero is back and I liked playing him in his human form and alternate form.

This fighting game boasts great gameplay, awesome graphics, great sound design, etc. With some minor flaws like overpowered Shao Kahn and other problems, this game is worth buying for fighting gamers, and to Mortal Kombat fans.​

Score

Story - 10/10​
Gameplay - 8/10​
Graphics - 9/10​
Sound - 9/10​

Final Score: 36/40 or 9.0/10.0.​

Pros and Cons

Pros​

- Great and stylish characters.​
- Easy to learn fighting system that allows new players and hardcore players to adapt easily.​
- Great voice acting.​
- Great graphics, like well detailed characters, environments, and etc.​
- X-Ray moves are a fine addition.​
- Fatalities are back, along with Babalities and Stage Fatality.​
- Great storyline for the Story Mode.​
- The bloody violence is back.​
- Lots of replay value, like Challenge Tower, minigames, etc.​

Cons​

- Shao Kahn is clearly overpowered in this game.​
- Difficulty in this game are a bit too high for some players.
- You can't skip or pause during cutscenes in Story Mode, but you can skip cutscenes after completing the Story Mode.

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
Awesome review of an awesome game :D the only thing is, it may be cause I had completed story already but on my second play-through I was able to skip the cutscenes in story, I just had to wait a couple of moments then I think X or A skipped them, don't think they can be paused though.

Satsui no Hado

BUY ONE THOUSAND GIFTS!!!
Definiatly gonna try and get this game,though I was hoping Taven and Daegon from MK:Armageddon would appear.But hey,this game cleary can't let that happen but it still looks good.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Awesome review of an awesome game :D the only thing is, it may be cause I had completed story already but on my second play-through I was able to skip the cutscenes in story, I just had to wait a couple of moments then I think X or A skipped them, don't think they can be paused though.

Already tried it, and it works. We can only skip cutscenes after completing the Story Mode. Thanks a lot. :D

Top Bottom