• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Monster Hunter, Hunters gather here!

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
With the new Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate being released in US and soon to be released in Europe, I thought I would bring some discussion here with fellow hunters for tips, hints and maybe even some hunting together.

I'll start off by which version of MH3U will you be getting?

Myself, I'll start off with the 3DS version since I don't own a Wii-U yet.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
I only have the psp monster hunter games and MHP3rd is very similar to MH3U so I suppose I can provide some input from my 500+hours of experience. I do hope that the Vita gets a MH game soon though.

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
I only have the psp monster hunter games and MHP3rd is very similar to MH3U so I suppose I can provide some input from my 500+hours of experience. I do hope that the Vita gets a MH game soon though.
What weapon do you like to use? I myself used Longsword and Great Sword in both MHFU and MH Tri but was thinking on trying something new in MH3U. How fun are the Lance and Gunlance?

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
What weapon do you like to use? I myself used Longsword and Great Sword in both MHFU and MH Tri but was thinking on trying something new in MH3U. How fun are the Lance and Gunlance?
Lance and Gunlance users have relatively low mobility but their large shields make up for it. Having the Guard+2 skill makes any lance or gunlance user nearly indestructable but I recommend having guard+1 so that you can improve other skills. Lance users generally play more aggressive than gunlance users as they can counter attacks and they also have a quick triple upwards strike. Gunlance users have these things called shells. When a gunlance fires a shell, it shoots out a fiery burst that deals a fixed amount of damage. Firing a shell also allows you to shorten your recovery frames after attacking and you can almost immediately attack again after firing a shell. Gunlances also have an attack called the wyvern's breath which deals really good damage but it has a long startup time so you should use it when your enemy is dizzy,sleeping,etc.

Lances and gunlances are for those who like taking on an enemy head on and be able to hold their ground unlike other weapons which require players to move around a lot. I main the gunlance class and I can say that it is a pretty balanced weapon and the shield really helps when you are in a pinch. It is fun when you master it but I believe that it is one of those 'easy to use, hard to master' kind of weapon. Feel free to ask me anything else.

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
Lance and Gunlance users have relatively low mobility but their large shields make up for it. Having the Guard+2 skill makes any lance or gunlance user nearly indestructable but I recommend having guard+1 so that you can improve other skills. Lance users generally play more aggressive than gunlance users as they can counter attacks and they also have a quick triple upwards strike. Gunlance users have these things called shells. When a gunlance fires a shell, it shoots out a fiery burst that deals a fixed amount of damage. Firing a shell also allows you to shorten your recovery frames after attacking and you can almost immediately attack again after firing a shell. Gunlances also have an attack called the wyvern's breath which deals really good damage but it has a long startup time so you should use it when your enemy is dizzy,sleeping,etc.

Lances and gunlances are for those who like taking on an enemy head on and be able to hold their ground unlike other weapons which require players to move around a lot. I main the gunlance class and I can say that it is a pretty balanced weapon and the shield really helps when you are in a pinch. It is fun when you master it but I believe that it is one of those 'easy to use, hard to master' kind of weapon. Feel free to ask me anything else.
I tried both lances in the 3DS demo and I gotta say that I have taken a liking to the gunlance.

Does the armor skill Gunnery affect the shell shots from the Gunlance?

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
I tried both lances in the 3DS demo and I gotta say that I have taken a liking to the gunlance.

Does the armor skill Gunnery affect the shell shots from the Gunlance?
The gunnery skill increases the damage your shells do but I don't recommend having it as shells do pitiful damage and are generally used to extend combos and troll your team mates. You should aim for a full set of silver rathalos armor in the full game.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
.....please don't tell me it's plate are one of those 2% drop items.
You bet it is. However, that 2% rate only applies to low rank rathalos. It is about 12% for high ranked rathalos. IIRC, you also need a rathalos ruby which is harder to obtain than the plate. Grab a bunch of friend to play with you and it won't take too long.

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
You bet it is. However, that 2% rate only applies to low rank rathalos. It is about 12% for high ranked rathalos. IIRC, you also need a rathalos ruby which is harder to obtain than the plate. Grab a bunch of friend to play with you and it won't take too long.
Unlucky for me though, I only got the 3DS version so far and my other hunter friends doesn't live on my island.

Welp, time to grind for those plates.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
I'm not sure about this but MH3U has G-ranked missions and I believe the drop rate of plates from G-ranked Rathali are much higher than HR Rathali.

Top Bottom