• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Mechwarrior Reboot Dispute

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
I'm wondering if anyone would happen to know anything new about the dispute over Mechwarrior Reboot. Apparently US Robotech Licenser, Harmony Gold, has decided to step in and cause a fuss over mecha from Catalyst's MWReboot game that look too similar to mecha of the Robotech franchise.

TAKE NOTE THAT THIS ISN'T A NEW DISPUTE EITHER. Harmony Gold destroyed FASA Corporation over the same thing.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/04/mechwarrior-reboot-could-be-caught-in-trademark-dispute

These are the mecha designs

Mechwarrior Reboot "WARHAMMER"
3779299091_62426294a0.jpg

Robotech/Macross SDF "EXCALIBUR"
mbr-04-mk6.jpg

Yes, the mecha DO look similar, but is it really so bad that a legal dispute has to be had over it? I know this is old news, all of the way back from late 2009, but I'm just now catching wind of it and am sorely disappointed as I was VERY excited over this game.

And again, I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything new.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I never knew about this... Just because it's similar to a Destroid doesn't mean it's copied, HG. >.>

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
Back when FASA was still in control of the Battletech Franchise, the mecha in the starting boxset were copied off of the mecha from HG's franchise. And FASA was torn down because of it. Afterwards, the new owners of the BT/MW franchise hid the images of all of the copied mecha for a while, dubbing them as the "Unseen"...but then they came out with new artwork after that, so...in essence, yes the above image is a copy of the other mech, but it's a reworked copy...which is what disappoints me. HG is still coming after Battletech and Mechwarrior =_=

Top Bottom