• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Lets discuss :The difference between anime and manga

Does manga portray more darker themes ??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I've been surprised quite recently after reading manga of an extremely depressing anime and much to my surprise the manga is 2X more disturbing than the anime

IN most of the cases for general anime it always seems censored and edited whereas manga seems like dark and unrestrained counterpart of the anime

Take Dbz manga for example It has cursing and adult references whereas in the anime it is edited

V

Oldschool DMC fan
In my experience yes, the manga of anime stories are more detailed and 'adult' versions of the same thing... or if anime are created from manga that exist before them, they are lighter or less 'heavy-going'. I assume because anime is often aired on regular TV in Japan, and the audience is wider and may include children. Also some things are routinely censored by Japanese film and TV censors, more than you'd think, considering.

Manga itself comes in all 'levels' though. You get manga for kids and you get explicit manga, you even get educational manga or manga cookbooks. But I know what you are getting at. So I'd say yes, the manga is often read if the reader wants the more in depth and darker version of something. I also think the censors are not as harsh on manga because it is not film, just as we here do not have age-ratings on books, although even in some of the heaviest mangas I've seen that they still somewhat 'censor' things that the Japanese culture finds offensive, unless it is indeed some sort of hentai.

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
I think for me sometimes anime can be also dark and scary besides manga. I watched some of them on YT rips of Toonami, some on late night Polish gaming TV channel called Hyper ( on that one I been introduced to SE anime Full Metal Alchemist but thanks Square- I will not watch again this thing after you telled that Philosopher Stone is maded from innoncent beigns blood) I really hate animes who have occult themes and when used is innoncent blood.

Demon619

Deadman walking
Anime does tend to be much lighter then their Manga counterparts.

Besides the obvious edits that anime go through (like detailed and gory injurys that happen in the manga that are toned down alot in the anime [Arm getting cut off = Getting cut on the arm), the over all dialogue and various other things in anime tend to be more friendly and kid-freindly.

As Lexy pointed out, Anime is basically like the daytime cartoons of Japan and such. They have to be more friendly for despite their darker routes. They are on daily on tv and have to be able to be veiwed by a younger audiance. But Manga dosn't need to rated like Tv does, and so their themes can be much darker.

I can't help but point out something similar happens to cartoons based on our own comics. (Alot of the Batman comics tend to be much darker then anything we animate even if its the same story).

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Your probably watching censered anime. Cuz anime is the same as manga just with filler. Using DBZ is a horrible example because DBZ anime was censered in its early runs and the DBZ manga (as of today) is censered.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Anime does tend to be much lighter then their Manga counterparts.

Besides the obvious edits that anime go through (like detailed and gory injurys that happen in the manga that are toned down alot in the anime [Arm getting cut off = Getting cut on the arm), the over all dialogue and various other things in anime tend to be more friendly and kid-freindly.

As Lexy pointed out, Anime is basically like the daytime cartoons of Japan and such. They have to be more friendly for despite their darker routes. They are on daily on tv and have to be able to be veiwed by a younger audiance. But Manga dosn't need to rated like Tv does, and so their themes can be much darker.

I can't help but point out something similar happens to cartoons based on our own comics. (Alot of the Batman comics tend to be much darker then anything we animate even if its the same story).

You're right ! spiderman's last comic was pretty dark Ah i hate PG ratings i don't know how can horror anime which has depictions of murder, profanity and drug abuse can become kid friendly by any type of censoring its just soooo stupid !

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
You're right ! spiderman's last comic was pretty dark Ah i hate PG ratings i don't know how can horror anime which has depictions of murder, profanity and drug abuse can become kid friendly by any type of censoring its just soooo stupid !

Sorry to burst you bubble but Spider Man is a comic not a Manga.

Autumn

Welcome to my world....
I can only give you opinions on anime/manga I’ve read together since I mostly just watch the anime (cheaper and leaves more bookcase space). The only manga I've read alongside the anime are Death Note, Tactics and Black Butler.

Death Note was pretty much the same, word for word between both anime and manga (until about half way through the anime where I feel they started to rush things). I still find both the anime and manga were just as dark as each other.

Tactics manga was very different from the anime. It had the same characters but mostly different stories. The anime seemed more toned down than the manga when it came to sex references and such.

Black Butler is totally different. The anime follows the story to beginning with then as the manga starts to get darker the anime gets lighter. I also felt they change the chacters too much in the anime, they even made them seem nicer than what they should be.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I've not watched the full DMC anime yet... it is lighter than the DMC manga?

lorddemolatron

Premium
Yes it is lighter than manga also for some countries its edited

In Poland i never seen DMC anime as censored. I have full DVD boxset with rating of series for 16 age old :?, so censored DMC anime versions exist ??

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
In Poland i never seen DMC anime as censored. I have full DVD boxset with rating of series for 16 age old :?, so censored DMC anime versions exist ??

Its all upto the Broadcasters and the Nation's polices though box-set shouldn't be censored as it is upto the adult consumer it has blood,swearing and violence so yeah it can be censored anyway its just 12 episodes

lorddemolatron

Premium
^ In Poland some games and movies are distributed on 16 age old mark as If they have not so gruesome violence, if it get bloody or realistic then 18 rating is added but that sometimes blocks things to buy for underaged people, that only provokes people to download, well my country have high piracy rank.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
^ In Poland some games and movies are distributed on 16 age old mark as If they have not so gruesome violence, if it get bloody or realistic then 18 rating is added but that sometimes blocks things to buy for underaged people, that only provokes people to download, well my country have high piracy rank.

In my country There is no such "Age rating" except the Tv everything else is unrated and raw :lol: dvd's to games i've even seen a 13yr old getting God of war 3 lol that kid was buying a sh!tload of mature games and i felt like a poor guy at that time because i was buying a ps2 game :(

Top Bottom