• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Kinect .. Any Good ?

Damien

Anti - Little D
Premium
Im buying Kinect at midnight 2moro ( 10 of November ) and was wandering as Kinect has already been lauched in the US , is it any good and does it live up to the hype surrounding it ?

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
My friends and a gaming magazine reviewer in Malaysia seems to be impressed with Kinect, but felt that the lineup games are not really good. I suggest you buy it when it has more good games to be played.

Meg

^ Agreed.

Not only that, but no piece of hardware comes without problems. I say wait for more games and price drop. Also, you need at least 6 feet to use it.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I can't see this taking off in the UK, and so I wouldn't buy one right off in case it flops, and turns out to be a waste of money...

Several reasons:

#1 Don't have the space. American households have on average much more space than UK ones, and sometimes separate gaming rooms. My place is microscopic. You need a min six feet away from/around the device, and if you want to actually move freely you might as well expand that to nine or ten feet.

#2 Software lineup doesn't look that great. Will this be much like the Wii, in that there just aren't that many good games on it, and it's been marketed and hyped mainly at old people and young kids and family gatherings, not for 'hardcore gamers'.

#3 It's expensive. And if it doesn't take off and they make better games for it, it could be a big waste of money.

#4 I'd wait for more reviews and reports on its performance first.

I am intrigued by who they are marketing this at. If it's to be some kind of alternative to the Wii, and the target audience of that was the old, the very young and the 'casual gamer' - are they going to spend all that money on this device and buy an Xbox to run it? Doubt it. They could just buy a Wii cheaper, which has cornered that market. Perhaps households already owning Xboxes and with young kids and cash to spare would bother to buy one but again they will need lots of space, or else this thing needs diverse software to appeal to all kinds of gamers. All I have seen for it so far is a bunch of dance, sports and kids' games like Kinectimals or Harry Potter that don't interest me at all.

Damien

Anti - Little D
Premium
Of course you get the family games as launch titles because it will be a cool family thing for christmas but wait until a FPS makes its debut on Kinect.
I know that queing at midnight is really sad and lame but hopefully it will be amazing and the reviews so far have been postitive but of course you will see the odd negative from some magazine that doesnt like microsoft .
And launch titles when the 360 and PS3 were released were just as bad e.g for the 360 there was Fifa 06 - road to the world cup , NBA 2K6, King Kong, Tiger woods and lets face it all were crap .. and there were some good ones like Gun out.
PS3 launch title were Fifa 07 - Sonic the hedghog (worst game ever) Virtual tennis , Marvel ultimate allinace .. who wants to play a tennis game on a monster machine like the PS3 ..

Agreed the line up on luanch titles is a bit weak for Kinect but theres hope in sonic free riders , although some bad reviews it is mostly good. This will change the way people pay video games for the future and when the next console comes out , it has alot to live up to.

And at a £130 , its not that much really considering the consoles are £230and that doesnt inculde X-box live or headset or extra controller.. Who ever doesnt get this is going to missing out on one of the best gadgets of the year..

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Will it really change the way people play games though - like the Wii did? Hmmm...

Far as I can see the Wii didn't impact much on 'how people play' at all. People are still playing games with normal controllers for various reasons, and one of those reasons is that not everybody wants to stand up and wave their arms about, etc. or move about to play a game. The Wii hasn't really 'taken off' despite the motion sensor hype for that.

It is right now, as you say a gadget, a novelty item - not a 'must have' for gaming.

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
^ we've pre-ordered one. I don't know much about it. I was just convinced that I'll apparently like it. Reading this now I don't think we have the space! :( well I am dying to move house, so there's an excuse - we need a bigger living room!

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Well he may be right and it might be the next big thing... I don't know. But I do know that way back when we thought the Wii was the next one and it's been gathering dust between the PS3, PS2 and the XBox for four years now. We've got 7 games for it and 2 of those came with it. It barely gets used, except to play old Gamecube games. This is the problem I'm thinking may happen with Kinect if they don't bring out a variety of good games for it and if it doesn't take off.

The hope is that Microsoft will not go Nintendo's route which was to not really bother with all that many innovative games for the Wii. All I can think of that were the Wii's big ones from Nintendo were Zelda Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy, along with possibly Okami or the Umbrella Chronicles from CAPCOM. It seems Nintendo is just into trying to get people to do keep fit stuff on it.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I have no interest in it and wont ever purchase it as its not my sort of thing but my friends (who arent usually into this sort of thing either) work in game stores and have had a lot of time to play with it say its superb. The technology it uses is apparently really impressive and they are now going to purchase it.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Lexy, I can see your points. And I can somewhat agree with your statements. However, I have such other points to make. Not against them, but just in general.

Computer consoles started out with just sitting in front of them, and playing games. Hand-held consoles give the player the freedom of taking the game wherever they want to go. However, hand-held consoles have yet to take the root of having to do exercise with them. Essentially, the Nintendo Wii is a hand-held/normal computer console. Where the player has to move their body, in order for the machine to register moves and display them on the screen. Giving the player exercise, and also having the joy of watching it on the screen.

The Nintendo Wii has revolutionised the way in which we play games. And looking at Microsoft and Sony, they are taking the same step. They are incorporating the same idea. Using similar technology, to get a similar gaming effect. It's a different company's take/perspective at looking at a new way in which we can play games.

Gamers will still indulge and get the joy from playing games just sat in front of their consoles. And that is totally fine. But somewhere along the line, the 'want' to get gamers moving and keep people fit kicked in. The problem that has always surrounded consoles and computer games, is the fact that kids will not gain any physical benefits. The Nintendo DS started giving us brain training games, and things like that. Undoubtedly, Nintendo are the Company that wish to improve gaming the most. Keep people's knowledge in place, and their fitness. Look at them as the gaming Company for fitness.

This has paved a trend, otherwise consoles wouldn't be spawned from that idea. Therefore, whether it works any better than a normal console is besides the point. Future consoles will adopt this way of playing games, and it could be the way in which all game consoles move forward. It could even mean they don't release a new console, unless it requires you to do some form of movement in order to play. Now that's just my take on this, and my viewpoint. So don't get me wrong, they may go in the opposite direction. The fad could end, and we could be back to basic consoles that just lie there.

Although, Microsoft however seem to have quite a knack for designing things with various flaws. With the launch of the Xbox 360, a potential 1 in 3 consoles could of suffered the RROD (Red Rings Of Death) And now with the release of Kinect, there are already evident problems.

I adore the Xbox 360. And they have managed to clear the problems surrounding it. However, it seems they may have to clear the problems with Kinect in the future also.

Asides from technical problems, and faults, it appears to be a good new way on looking at gaming. I just say we give it a chance, and see if it takes off.

And lastly, I still prefer when it was called Project Natal. But that's just me.

~LoD ^_^

Damien

Anti - Little D
Premium
Lexy;288186 said:
Well he may be right and it might be the next big thing... I don't know. But I do know that way back when we thought the Wii was the next one and it's been gathering dust between the PS3, PS2 and the XBox for four years now. We've got 7 games for it and 2 of those came with it.
I can't see this taking off in the UK, and so I wouldn't buy one right off in case it flops, and turns out to be a waste of money...

First I have a name and dont like being refered to as "he" :p
And second , are you actually one to play games consoles? Sounds liek you arent if you only have 7 games and 2 of them came with the console , so its abit unfair when a non-gamer casts and negative opinion on something that is designed for gamers !
I still play my PS2 and my DS , and like the going back a few years to when everything wasnt about graphics and wireless , but thats on ocassion.
And Kinect has been very popular in the UK so your statment that you dont thinks its going to take off is flawed. Myabe just becuase you dont like it because you arent a gamer like me and the REST of the people who bought kinect around the world doesnt mean it wont be a big hit. Surley thats what everyone said about the DS and the PS2 and the orginal X-box. It takes time to get used to "new" techology and of course are going to cast and watchful eye on this because they think just because mircosoft made it , the fact it waill brake with the first year iof owning it . So people dont remember when the PS2 went through teething issues when it was released years ago..

Of course I own one and I'm very biased towards Kinect being amazing.. but if you arent a gamer , then you shouldnt cast a opinion on something that is designed and targeted towards GAMERS !!

And it was said yesterday that next year a star wars game for the kinect will be released ! Hello .. star wars ! .. Lightsabers !! .. Swing your arms like you have just been stung by a wasp in order to chop some android up .. HOW IS THAT NOT FUN !
Star wars is one of the biggest fanchises in the world with a fair few game titles under its belt and making a debut on kinect will be amazing.

aka958

Don't trust people
Damien;288319 said:
First I have a name and dont like being refered to as "he" :p
And second , are you actually one to play games consoles? Sounds liek you arent if you only have 7 games and 2 of them came with the console , so its abit unfair when a non-gamer casts and negative opinion on something that is designed for gamers !
I still play my PS2 and my DS , and like the going back a few years to when everything wasnt about graphics and wireless , but thats on ocassion.
And Kinect has been very popular in the UK so your statment that you dont thinks its going to take off is flawed. Myabe just becuase you dont like it because you arent a gamer like me and the REST of the people who bought kinect around the world doesnt mean it wont be a big hit. Surley thats what everyone said about the DS and the PS2 and the orginal X-box. It takes time to get used to "new" techology and of course are going to cast and watchful eye on this because they think just because mircosoft made it , the fact it waill brake with the first year iof owning it . So people dont remember when the PS2 went through teething issues when it was released years ago..

Of course I own one and I'm very biased towards Kinect being amazing.. but if you arent a gamer , then you shouldnt cast a opinion on something that is designed and targeted towards GAMERS !!

Sure you bring good points but what is that statement?

Wow! You suddenly know everything about her, don't you? :cool:

Just to say, seven games is more than enough to be a gamer. You don't need to spend every penny you earn on games to be a gamer, you can have other interests too, you know?
You play games? You are a gamer. What kind of gamer is something else.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
*Pensively waits for this motion control fad to end*

I doubt Kinect will shift all that many units, purely because everyone who wants motion control already owns a Wii, frankly I think the hype is going to end up unjustified, but when the official sales figures come around, I guess we'll find out.

Damien

Anti - Little D
Premium
aka958;288320 said:
Sure you bring good points but what is that statement?

Wow! You suddenly know everything about her, don't you? :cool:

Just to say, seven games is more than enough to be a gamer. You don't need to spend every penny you earn on games to be a gamer, you can have other interests too, you know?
You play games? You are a gamer. What kind of gamer is something else.

Interesting that you say if you play games you are a gamer because lexy has said that she hasnt touched her game consoles in years and there different type of gamers as you correctly said she could be a soft gamer who plays sports games that dont actually give any enjoyment .. I dont know as Im not her .

Im not saying you need to spend every penny on games to be a gamer but 7 games bought over a number of years isnt really a gamer, a gamer is someone is buys games like one or two every month and goes home straight away to play them not waiting til the next day or the next week.
I have about 15 games and I have had my 360 for 2 years now and I play each and everyone of those games over and over again to get more gamerscore and the replay value is fun ..

Kinect will change the way people play games, this technology is in its early stages and just wait for the possibilities that it presents to come in the near future.

My overall point is that kinect offers so much and all people have been focusing on is the " you need 6ft of free space to play it" and it not hard to find 6ft of space to play it really ! People and the media should be focusing on the endless possibilities of this technology and just give it a chance and you cant cast a opinion on something when you havent played games console for years on end ..

And lexy said that the Wii hasnt taken off ... I'm sorry but the Wii is the fastest selling console in the last decade with 48+million salses WORLWIDE

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Damien;288327 said:
Kinect will change the way people pay games , this techology is in its early stages and just wait for the possibilties that it presents to come in the near future.

The Wii already did that, what do you think the sudden sweep of motion control based consoles is about? Microsoft and Sony released Nintendo were making copious amounts of money off the Wii and decided to jump on a bandwagon that's already been on the road for quite some time.

Ergo, I reckon that the Kinect and Move are gonna fall fairly flat, purely because, as I mentioned earlier, everyone who wants motion control already bought the Wii, so I'm predicting that sales of the Kinect and Move will probably only be based around die-hard fans of each company.

Damien

Anti - Little D
Premium
Angelo Credo;288328 said:
The Wii already did that, what do you think the sudden sweep of motion control based consoles is about? Microsoft and Sony released Nintendo were making copious amounts of money off the Wii and decided to jump on a bandwagon that's already been on the road for quite some time.

Ergo, I reckon that the Kinect and Move are gonna fall fairly flat, purely because, as I mentioned earlier, everyone who wants motion control already bought the Wii, so I'm predicting that sales of the Kinect and Move will probably only be based around die-hard fans of each company.

The whole point of the Kinect is be to hands free and the Wii and the Move arent ! Thw Wii only tracks you through the controllers infra red signal it sends to the sensor bar which doesnt track YOU .. This is a new kind of montion tracking , it tracks your movements through you legs and arms not a white controller on you wrist . Everytime I play the Wii , I want to move side to side which will have NO impact on the game what so ever unlike the Kinect that tracks you .. Go into a game stroe near you and try out the demo that they are offering as im sure once you have played it , you hopefully change your mind about Kinect and then look down on Wii like the little Brother of montion tracking because it doesnt TRACK you .. it tracks the controller .. I could stand up and play my 360 with the controller and it will do nothing ...

aka958

Don't trust people
Damien;288327 said:
Interesting that you say if you play games you are a gamer because lexy has said that she hasnt touched her game consoles in years and there different type of gamers as you correctly said she could be a soft gamer who plays sports games that dont actually give any enjoyment .. I dont know as Im not her .

Im not saying you need to spend every penny on games to be a gamer but 7 games bought over a number of years isnt really a gamer, a gamer is someone is buys games like one or two every month and goes home straight away to play them not waiting til the next day or the next week.
I have about 15 games and I have had my 360 for 2 years now and I play each and everyone of those games over and over again to get more gamerscore and the replay value is fun ..

Kinect will change the way people play games, this technology is in its early stages and just wait for the possibilities that it presents to come in the near future.

My overall point is that kinect offers so much and all people have been focusing on is the " you need 6ft of free space to play it" and it not hard to find 6ft of space to play it really ! People and the media should be focusing on the endless possibilities of this technology and just give it a chance and you cant cast a opinion on something when you havent played games console for years on end ..

And lexy said that the Wii hasnt taken off ... I'm sorry but the Wii is the fastest selling console in the last decade with 48+million salses WORLWIDE

Well... 2 years = 24 months. You got 15 games, it won't even fill up 16 months of your own statement of what a gamer is. Hah, just teasing. :p

Anyways, the Wii has a fewgames I REALLY want to play. Those games are good enough to buy the console in my opinion. The rest is trash in my opinion.

And 6ft is alot really. I live in a crampy apartment of mine and I would have to move all my furniture and change the complete order of everything and throw some of the furniture in the basement to be able to play Kinect fully. :p

Damien

Anti - Little D
Premium
aka958;288331 said:
Well... 2 years = 24 months. You got 15 games, it won't even fill up 16 months of your own statement of what a gamer is. Hah, just teasing. :p
And 6ft is alot really. I live in a crampy apartment of mine and I would have to move all my furniture and change the complete order of everything and throw some of the furniture in the basement to be able to play Kinect fully. :p

I dont have alot of money so I dont buy one or two games a month so I'm not a hard core gamer . 6ft isnt alot .. if your 6ft tall then lay down on the floor to see it you fit as thats what I did :p And the games tell you to move furniture and things to get the best possible result on screen.

Like I said everyone is focusing on the fact you need 6ft of space ... who cares !! People sit away from the TV to play normal games so I dont see what the fuss is about. The Wii didnt work if you were right up close to it so that arguement to flawed.

aka958

Don't trust people
Damien;288374 said:
I dont have alot of money so I dont buy one or two games a month so I'm not a hard core gamer . 6ft isnt alot .. if your 6ft tall then lay down on the floor to see it you fit as thats what I did :p And the games tell you to move furniture and things to get the best possible result on screen.

Like I said everyone is focusing on the fact you need 6ft of space ... who cares !! People sit away from the TV to play normal games so I dont see what the fuss is about. The Wii didnt work if you were right up close to it so that arguement to flawed.

The wii doesn't work up close?

... No Wii for me then. :(

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I said I have seven games for the Wii, if you read my post Damien, no need to get personal in assumptions about me. In actual fact we have 119 games for all three consoles sitting on the shelf, and the Wii is the only one of them gathering dust. But my point was that the Wii games are lacking and that I why I don't play it anywhere near as often as I play the other consoles. My related point was that if the Kinect doesn't come out with good games, that's what it will probably be doing on most other people's shelves as well.

So why aren't you playing a Wii right now?

LoD, I'm not saying that motion-control technology is no good. Just saying that I wouldn't go out and buy one right now for the sake of it until I can see it's actually going to take off with players and then obviously games companies thereafter who'll continue creating software for it. At this point in time the line-up doesn't interest me, and the line-up for the Wii didn't go far enough, so I hope it doesn't end up in a similar vein, since all my Wii is now is a substitute for the Gamecube I accidentally left in storage. But - I doubt that will happen because of Microsoft's approach and the wide range of games they already have or will likely create in time that can be adapted for use with Kinect. I'm just not advocating buying this technology yet... until it's tried and tested, proven and popular. I don't have a lot of money in my pocket, so there are few reasons for me to buy one right now for the sake of it; but I don't doubt that incorporating motion control into how we play games will be a big part of gaming development and improvement in the future.

Actually given time, I think the chance of success in the long-term for Kinect is good. I just don't see it being 'massive' right now except as a novelty buy because of the games line-up, and we will probably see a few bugs or issues need to be ironed out. Some people have already said so far they want to buy it for the fact they're intrigued by the technology, because it 'sounds good'. I'm not really one to buy on a hunch or a rumour until I see something I want play on it. I'm intrigued by the technology, but not to the point of buying it without hearing more about it and hearing more word-of-mouth reviews - I'm a cautious buyer, and in the recession aftermath I expect quite a few others will be as well. It's a start for hands free motion-control, and that's good. I just think it sounds to have been overhyped in terms of what we can actually do/play with it, right now.

Otherwise, I'm with Credo on my reasonings for the fate of Kinect in the short-term.

Top Bottom