• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Jak 4(scrapped) concept art revealed

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Basically Naughty Dog had worked on ideas for another Jak and Daxter game but they scrapped it as they were trying to reboot it to be more realistic/gritty etc and it didn't work for them. They moved on to the last of us and the rest is history.

Recently there was an Naughty dog art exhibition to celebrate their thirty year anniversary and there were concept art for the failed Jak and Daxter project.

Take a look and tell me what you think
http://www.junkiemonkeys.com/naughty-dog-reveals-jak-daxter-4-environment-concept-art/

I'm in the middle on the designs since I like the backgrounds etc but not sold on the Jak and Daxter designs. There isnt any info on what the plot would have been and since they call it Jak 4, we dont know if this would have been a clean reboot or a continuation or both (Jak and Dax had a lot of time travel so it is possible).

So your thoughts?

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
I'm glad this game was canned and I hope it stays canned, I didn't much care for the first game, I liked the 2nd one and loved the 3rd one however by the looks of those pictures and how gaming is today, they'll just make it some dark and gritty bore and that's the last thing I want happening to Jak & Daxter.

So f**k Jak 4, hope it stays dead, let Naughty Dog make new things.

ItWasAnEggTimer

Same as it ever was
I'm glad this game was canned and I hope it stays canned, I didn't much care for the first game, I liked the 2nd one and loved the 3rd one however by the looks of those pictures and how gaming is today, they'll just make it some dark and gritty bore and that's the last thing I want happening to Jak & Daxter.

So f**k Jak 4, hope it stays dead, let Naughty Dog make new things.

But if you liked the second one, which was dark and gritty, how would you not like the fourth?

Although I will admit, some of the concept art here is....off-putting.

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
But if you liked the second one, which was dark and gritty, how would you not like the fourth?
the 2nd and 3rd ones were action packed rather than dark and gritty IMO, also they were still full of the lighthearted slapstick fun.
In Jak 4, Daxter will prob turn into a Rocket from Guardians of the Galaxy wannabe, the fun & goofyness will likely be toned down and who knows what'll happen to Jak and the rest of the cast.

ItWasAnEggTimer

Same as it ever was
the 2nd and 3rd ones were action packed rather than dark and gritty IMO, also they were still full of the lighthearted slapstick fun.
In Jak 4, Daxter will prob turn into a Rocket from Guardians of the Galaxy wannabe, the fun & goofyness will likely be toned down and who knows what'll happen to Jak and the rest of the cast.

As long as it keeps the same writers, I don't think that'll happen.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Then how do you not like the first one because that was the most lighthearted tone of all the Jak games. And Daxter becoming someone like Rocket does sound more like an improvement to me.

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
Then how do you not like the first one because that was the most lighthearted tone of all the Jak games. And Daxter becoming someone like Rocket does sound more like an improvement to me.
Jak 1 just got boring for me because the first one I played was Jak 2 and Jak 2 & 3 upped the action, suspense, gameplay and even the humor so going back to Jak 1 ended up being no fun and hell no, Daxter becoming Rocket will be s**t, I liked Rocket and I also like Daxter, but both for who they are, I don't want one to become the other, Jak's the tough guy with guns, Daxter is the slapstick goof ogling the big tits and messing up with hilarious results, J&D stays that way or stays dead.

As long as it keeps the same writers, I don't think that'll happen.
They just tried it with this very concept art and thankfully canned it because they didn't think it would work, so clearly someone at Naughty Dog was using their brain.
I'd rather they just leave it, the Jak & Daxter trilogy was awesome and always will be awesome, but every game made after was rather mediocre so they should just leave it and carry on with other new things, they could make a spiritual successor or something, but leave Jak & Daxter alone.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Jak 1 just got boring for me because the first one I played was Jak 2 and Jak 2 & 3 upped the action, suspense, gameplay and even the humor so going back to Jak 1 ended up being no fun and hell no, Daxter becoming Rocket will be s**t, I liked Rocket and I also like Daxter, but both for who they are, I don't want one to become the other, Jak's the tough guy with guns, Daxter is the slapstick goof ogling the big tits and messing up with hilarious results, J&D stays that way or stays dead.
Jak and Daxter 1 was still good. You're saying you don't like the whole darker tone and shoot em up approach to things yet, that's what you seem to dig from the Jak series. The first game was a lighthearted cartoony platformer. They did exactly what you're complaining about when it came to the sequels. Now don't get me wrong, they were still good but you're kinda contradicting yourself.

And Rocket is awesome. Daxter is kinda annoying. He could have always used a little fixing to be more tolerable.

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
Jak and Daxter 1 was still good. You're saying you don't like the whole darker tone and shoot em up approach to things yet, that's what you seem to dig from the Jak series. The first game was a lighthearted cartoony platformer. They did exactly what you're complaining about when it came to the sequels. Now don't get me wrong, they were still good but you're kinda contradicting yourself.

And Rocket is awesome. Daxter is kinda annoying. He could have always used a little fixing to be more tolerable.
What I mean is Jak 4 seemed to be going fully dark, serious and gritty, like what I hated about DmC and Tomb Raider, Jak 2 & 3 may have gone a bit darker in tone, but the slapstick fun and goofyness was still there and stood out, plus the gameplay was upgraded and made better, my favorite part of Jak 3 was the dune buggy segments.
Yes Jak 1 was a bit too cartoony for my taste, which is why I don't play games like Mario, Zelda, etc, but I also don't really like games that go full dark, gritty and serious, it's alright when they're the own IP like Last of Us but doesn't mean I'll love it, however when it's part of a franchise I love for being non serious, I'll tear it apart for going full serious.

Jak 2 & 3 did have a slightly darker tone I guess(I may have overused "dark" before), but IMO that made the lightheartedness more better and stood out more, if the games were just full dark, gritty and serious like Jak 4 seemed to be going in it would have sucked and swallowed ass.

Rocket is awesome, but Daxter is funny, he doesn't need to be awesome cause he's the comic relief, Jak is the awesome hero, Daxter's just the comedy side kick, Jak and Daxter is NOT an uber realistic and serious franchise and it must stay that way, which is why Jak 4 must never happen.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
If that would've been Jak 4, what number was Lost Frontier?

Also, am I the only one who liked Lost Frontier?
technically jak 6 but since its a spinoff on the Vita they might thought about dropping the #s.

seems like it. (sorry buddy). I havent played the game so im neutral but the story isnt as good as the others (from what ive seen on youtube)

Top Bottom