• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is DMC2 Canon or has Capcom erased it from the timeline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoyalDanteFan

This occurred to me when I was checking out Dante fan art. I played DMC2 and I don't hate it like others do. Personally, I liked some of the ideas, Dante's looks (wow he's hot!!), Lucia, and the levels. It had its good points.

But I found the game trying to combine certain things from other games (I mean, tanks???? This isn't Call of Duty. o_O), a lot of the weapons were useless and didn't do much, and I couldn't do any stylish moves due to the short number of moves. And most of all, I didn't understand what the heck happened to Dante. Sure, he's gorgeous and I loved his voice, but he didn't have his usual personality and he didn't smile until the end.

Since it's considered the "weakest" of the series, does this mean it's not canon?

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
It's canon, friend! A rumor said DMC2 was to be another game( from whatever franchise) but was lately adapted to become a DMC game.

LoyalDanteFan

It's canon, friend! A rumor said DMC2 was to be another game( from whatever franchise) but was lately adapted to become a DMC game.

That explains a lot, actually.

Its canon.

Have you ever beaten DMC4 or played it?

Its part of the DMC history mode within DMC4 that chronicles the story of DMC in order.

Okay. So people better accept it then. Like me. lol I should replay it again.

Last edited by a moderator:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
This occurred to me when I was checking out Dante fan art. I played DMC2 and I don't hate it like others do. Personally, I liked some of the ideas, Dante's looks (wow he's hot!!), Lucia, and the levels. It had its good points.

But I found the game trying to combine certain things from other games (I mean, tanks???? This isn't Call of Duty. o_O), a lot of the weapons were useless and didn't do much, and I couldn't do any stylish moves due to the short number of moves. And most of all, I didn't understand what the heck happened to Dante. Sure, he's gorgeous and I loved his voice, but he didn't have his usual personality and he didn't smile until the end.

Since it's considered the "weakest" of the series, does this mean it's not canon?

Im guessing its non-canon since they are ignoring it and people say Itsuno considers it an old shame

Another member Dante Redgrave talked about Japanese writers not really caring too much about correcting continuity problems in a different thread. So they may keep it but they aren't gonna bring it up again which feels pointless to me.

But i could be wrong so just take what i rambled with some salt and pepper.

LoyalDanteFan

Im guessing its non-canon since they are ignoring it and people say Itsuno considers it an old shame

Another member Dante Redgrave talked about Japanese writers not really caring too much about correcting continuity problems in a different thread. So they may keep it but they aren't gonna bring it up again which feels pointless to me.

But i could be wrong so just take what i rambled with some salt and pepper.

*shrug* Alright. Good enough.

LoyalDanteFan

It is canon yes , it is just one of those embarrasing things that capcom wanna forget about.

If it's the last in the timeline, then they have no choice but to revisit it. Unless they remake it, but there's already several threads regarding that topic.

LoyalDanteFan

they can either tie a DMC5 into it , or set it after it. I doubt they will remake it though

That's true. It's been more than a decade after it was released, and personally, I think it's too late. My best idea would be to at least explain how Dante got like that. Either someone died (Trish) or she hurt him somehow (stupid, I know, he rarely gets offended). We'll see how Capcom explains it, but first they have to focus more on Nero.

Viper

Premium
I question more whether or not DMC 3 and 4 are canon.
Don't see what is there to question, in the end of 3 we see Dante become the one from 1 and 4 is continuation. They might be different in style, since they went from gothic horror to anime-ish action, but that was a business decision to adjust to times and new audiences, and to reflect creators style. DMC2 Dante was also a victim of a business decision that proved wrong, and I'd like to see how they gonna fix that since it's considered still canon.

It's not canon if it directly clashes with the rest of the story or if the word of god tells you that, not because it didn't sat well with you.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Don't see what is there to question, in the end of 3 we see Dante become the one from 1 and 4 is continuation. They might be different in style, since they went from gothic horror to anime-ish action, but that was a business decision to adjust to times and new audiences, and to reflect creators style. DMC2 Dante was also a victim of a business decision that proved wrong, and I'd like to see how they gonna fix that since it's considered still canon.

It's not canon if it directly clashes with the rest of the story or if the word of god tells you that, not because it didn't sat well with you.
DMC 3 contradicts and basically retcons the established canon of the first.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
I pretend DMC2 isn't even part of the franchise, I never finished the game and don't much care to since the first few hours I played were flat out boring and no fun.

It would be great if Capcom ignored it for DMC5 because I do not want to see the story of how Dante became that way.

Viper

Premium
DMC 3 contradicts and basically retcons the established canon of the first.
The first didn't have much of a canon to contradict, the only thing that it really changed is that Vergil came under Mundus' control later in life, after brothers had seen each other in period of time shorter than 20 years. If you're thinking how it contradicts the novel, then you should know the novel was proclaimed non-canon, while the game still is.

And for example, Metal Gear saga has tons more contradictions as it progressed (dude, just look at Miller), and they don't render games non-canon. People just learned to accept them.

Dominus

Yes DMC2 is canon, but DMC2 could easily be retconned out if Capcom wanted to. Look at SF series, that story is a mess because they wanted to include fan favorites from SF3 and SFA (and they brought Gouken back from the "dead"). I'm pretty sure they will retcon Vergil's death in DMC1, or consider that he didn't exactly die for DMC5.. Vergil probably has a 99 percent chance of being in DMC5..

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
The first didn't have much of a canon to contradict, the only thing that it really changed is that Vergil came under Mundus' control later in life, after brothers had seen each other in period of time shorter than 20 years. If you're thinking how it contradicts the novel, then you should know the novel was proclaimed non-canon, while the game still is.

And for example, Metal Gear saga has tons more contradictions as it progressed (dude, just look at Miller), and they don't render games non-canon. People just learned to accept them.
It was said in the first game that Dante lost his family at the age of 8. That implication carries on throughout the game when Nelo Angelo is defeated and what not. He hasn't seen or heard from Vergil since he was a child. If DMC 3 did happen, that's kinda something to bring up or reflect upon.

Not really bothered that much by this stuff because I still got fun games, but the way they approached the sequels shows they never really thought ahead. Now this canon is riddled with plot holes and continuity issues.

Viper

Premium
It was said in the first game that Dante lost his family at the age of 8. That implication carries on throughout the game when Nelo Angelo is defeated and what not. He hasn't seen or heard from Vergil since he was a child. If DMC 3 did happen, that's kinda something to bring up or reflect upon.

Not really bothered that much by this stuff because I still got fun games, but the way they approached the sequels shows they never really thought ahead. Now this canon is riddled with plot holes and continuity issues.
DMC3 isn't Kamiya's game, hard to reference something you don't know will be made. And I mentioned that point as the only thing it really contradicts, though some like to sort of excuse Dante's memories by saying he wanted to only remember happy times. It's a contradiction, yes, but not one to render whole game non-canon, as it doesn't influence the course of story later on. For now at least... *eyes Nero suspiciously*

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Trish states dante lost a mother and brother to evil twenty years ago , that contradicts nothing , dante and vergil seperated as kids when eva died

vergil then went down the dark path which can tie into that statement

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
DMC3 isn't Kamiya's game, hard to reference something you don't know will be made. And I mentioned that point as the only thing it really contradicts, though some like to sort of excuse Dante's memories by saying he wanted to only remember happy times. It's a contradiction, yes, but not one to render whole game non-canon, as it doesn't influence the course of story later on. For now at least... *eyes Nero suspiciously*
I know it isn't Kamiya's game, but anyone with common sense would take in to account the game's predecessors when working on a prequel. And don't take what I said about DMC 1 literally.

If Kamiya was still on board this franchise throughout, DMC 3 would have never happened the way it did.

It's kind of a thin excuse saying it was Dante only remembering what he wanted to remember. Sure it was a happier memory, but he doesn't have many memories with Vergil.

We're told he lost his family 20 years ago. He's 28 in DMC 1. When he defeats Nelo Angelo, he only finds out it was Vergil when he discovers the amulet. The amulet also I'm guessing in Kaimiya's mind at the time, wasn't a supernatural item, but simply a family heirloom.

Seriously, even Kamiya talked about this and doesn't agree with the liberties taken when it came to DMC 3. That kind of story was never supposed to happen. Vergil was supposed to be dead and gone. Not somehow being a d!ck about things and seeing his brother off and on in the past decade.

Nero is definitely the walking plot hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom