• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Interviews from Strategy Guide

berto

I Saw the Devil
HIROYUKI KOBAYASHI ( Producer)
D.O.B
8/12/72

Hobby
Watching movies at the cinema
Major Title's made
Resident Evil series, Dino Crisis, Devil may cry.
Timeline
1995/ Joined CAPCOM as a programmer for Resident Evil. 1997/ Joined the Dino Crisis team as a planner. 1999/ Joined Dino Crisis team as a producer. 200/ Joined the Devil may cry team as a producer. 200/ Joined the Resident Evil remake team for GC as a producer.
Please describe your role/responsibilities with Devil May Cry.
I am the producer. I supervise the game development team the make marketing and promotional projects with people in sales, Publicity and the advertising departments.

What other games have you been involved with in the past?
I have been involved in the Resident Evil and Dino Crisis series.

What was the game development team trying to achieve with the creation of Devil may cry ?
we pursued coolness, stylishness, freshness and the interesting points of an action game.

What are you most proud of this game?
I believe that we have created a coolness of action and high quality of visual imagery.

What aspect of the game do you hope gamers will find the most intiguing?
I would say the enjoyment of proceeding and clearing missions and the action part. In some way this might be old-fashioned using handguns, swords and Devil Trigger.

Are there any interesting subtleties in the game that you think gamers may not notice?
It is hard to name but if I think this game is Dante's episode, I would say, the battle of 200 years.

Any plans for a sequel or a similar game?
This might happen at many requests.

What's the next project ?
My next project is Resident Evil remake for the Gamecube. We re-appoint Shinji Mikami as a director and start all over.

HIDEKI KAMIYA (Director)
D.O.B
12/19/70

Hobbies
Collecting CD'S, finding a good noodle restaurant.
Major Titles
Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2 and Devil may cry.

Timeline
994/ Joined CAPCOM in development of Resident Evil, Director for Resident Evil 2, After spending three years creating the new Resident Evil, it turnes out to be Devil may cry.

I am the Director. I built up the game system view of the game and story. I supervised and director almost all for example of the development team voice recording and so on.

I joined the development of Resident Evil when I joined Capcom and then became director for Resident Evil 2.

Who created the characters of Devil may cry ?
The designer Mr. Makoto Tsuchibayashi created the fundamental design and modeling. Since we were looking to express coolness in Devil may cry the characters became more attractive to him.

What was the inspiration for the characters?
The main theme for Resident Evil is fear and terror. On the other hand Devil may cry's main theme is stylish coolness. What I would imagine from stylish coolness is that the main character faces enemies without flinching and does not get panicked under any circumstance. So i demanded that the main character still have strength and the ability to smile. In clothing I requested a costume with heroic imaginary and originality that has the greatest impact but not too far away from the real world. The reason we coloured his costume red is the symbolic colour for heroes in Japan.

Who named the Villain Mundus and why?
Mundus represents the universe in Latin I believe. In the game Dark Emperor Mundus is the ruler of the underworld. We meant to design Mundus as a god-like image instead of a devilish image so players could feel his dignity, distinctive character and overwhelming power. We chose this name because it has Magnificent imagery.

KIYOHIKO SAKATA (Programmer)
D.O.B
10/18/71
Hobbies
Driving cars, collecting watches, skiing, Karaoke, Watching movies
Major Titles

Resident
Evil 1,2 and 3, Devil may cry.
Timeline
1994/ Joined CAPCOM as a systematic programmer for street fighter real battle, Joined as a development staff member for Resident Evil then developed Resident Evil 2 and 3. 2000/ Joined Devil may cry team

Mainly I was in charge of the systematic part of the programming. I supervised the entire programming.

Resident Evil 1,2 and 3

Is there anything unusual about the character movement in the game?
It was hard to create movement of Dante as stylish, which is the main concept of this game.

Is there anything unique about the fighting system and the combat moves in the game?
It was hard to create smooth movement of camera work. If I stick with a stylish and cool scene it would cause a move not to be smooth for Dante. On the other hand if I stick with smooth character movement camera work would be dull. It was hard to make a balance.

Where the character/Enemy movements programmed or motion-captured? How did it work?
In the scenes we arranged the motion-capture movement. For the other part a person who is in charge of the motion created it. When we tie motions or when we use different motions for the upper half or the lower half of the body, we programmed it.

MASAMI UEDA (Music/Sound)
D.O.B
17/19/72
Hobbies
Developing a home page about American motorcycles.
Major Titles
Resident Evil 1,2 and 3, Devil May Cry, Tricky sliders

I composed and developed the surrounding music and checked the quality. Also i taught technical guidance to two of my staff.

Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3.

What were your personal inspirations for the music for Devil may cry?
I always think about Dante's feelings and reflect that to the background music. We try to avoid vague sounds. I aimed to create the musical structure to be up-tempo and easy to listen to and mixed several kinds of music to try to keep players from getting bored. I would like players to pay attention to the synchronization of the game's visuals and music at the event scene.

Do you work on the music before or during the game development?
I prepared before the game development started. I composed after I had a better understanding of the view of the game. I need some amount of time to create music as I imagine it. Nowadays there are a lot of directions so I have to prepare at the very first stage of development.

How do you create supernatural and hyper-realistic combat sound effects?
Because Playstation 2 has a large amount of capacity we didn't need to describe the quality that much. We co-developed the sound effects with sound Deluxe in Hollywood, so we are so proud of the music.

Last edited:
Top Bottom