• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I watched Spirited Away with my father...I haven't seen it in nearly four years...

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
Words cannot describe the feeling that I had while watching this movie. I remember as a child seeing this on CN late at night, along with a few other wonderful movies. However this one struck home with me the most. I remember pressing my face up close to the screen, I had the volume down really low because my mother had yelled at me from my bedroom. She told me to turn it down, she was really tired. But I watched it all, wide eyed and amazed. I was only seven or eight then, but did that movie take a piece of my heart when it was over. I could only sit and think after watching that movie, my brain as a child couldn't handle what I had just seen.

I watched the movie six or eight more times, or whenever I could get my hands on a DVD of it. After that I stopped watching it, and let it gather dust on the shelf of my mind. My life went on and I no longer pondered the meaning of the movie, it no longer had a place in my constant thoughts. I let it drift away with the rest of my child life, and went on to my first year of high school. Though secretly, that movie stuck with me.

Today I had been wandering the shelves of my local Hastings, my hands dragging along the shelves as I looked about the place. I was becoming bored, when I stopped. A movie case had caught my eye. It was spirited away, a film that had so much influence over my life as a child. I had forgotten it, I left it simply fade away. It all came back to me in a burst of memories, of my childhood. I grabbed it and told, no demanded, that my father would watch it with me. He brushed it off as being some silly anime movie full of boys with glowing hair and oddly colored eyes. But I persisted and he cracked.

We sat down today and watched it from start to finish, and I have to say that I worked some magic on my father. He watched it, he laughed, and he was silent at the end. I could only stand up and quietly walk to the back of the house to cry to myself. It really struck close to home, as a child I had always been forced to transfer from place to place, or move from parent to parent. My parents are divorced, and it often forced me to change and meet new people. I was scared, upset and often found myself crying at this. However this movie secretly taught me not to be afraid, that change was sometimes good. That to make a friend, you had to leave a friend. It taught me that it was okay to be scared, but not to fear change its self.

Today I was finally able to understand it, and I started crying again in front of my dad. And for once, he didn't make a comment or make a joke. He understood why I was crying, and actually let it go. He told me that it was alright, and I was able to stop crying.

Spirited away is one of those special movies that I hold close to my heart. Its something that I hope to show one day to my kids, to give them that same sense of awe that I gave to my father today. For those of you who haven't seen this movie, I hope that this long-ass essay of emotions has convinced you to see this. For those of you who have, great job in having wonderful tastes in movies.

And you know what? My father actually agreed to watching more of Miyazaki's films. Tomorrow, I hope to show him Ponyo.

Oh and Shadow, you better not like this...you freaking stalker. Yeah, I can see you liking my posts all of the time, and it fills up my alert box. :cool: Stalker.

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
It really is a magical film right? If you're feeling really brave, show him Grave of the Fireflies. If you cried over this then hoo-boy you better be packing some serious amounts of tissues for GotF. Glad to hear your dad was understanding though, just goes to show you the power of a good heartfelt story.

8BitHero

Scrub
I could recommend a certain specific film but then I'd had to say all the others are worth watching to(and they are). Spirited Away is an amazing film. The Girl Who Lept through time has an awesome premise but slightly sad conclusion... slightly.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Ohh watch Paprika and Princess Mononoke their really good :) my favorite Miyazaki movie has to be Whispers of the Heart y'know the one movie nobody knows what is about but me yeaaaah...

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Ohh watch Paprika and Princess Mononoke their really good :) my favorite Miyazaki movie has to be Whispers of the Heart y'know the one movie nobody knows what is about but me yeaaaah...
I know Whispers of The Heart but yes it is rather obscure. Princess Mononoke is hands down my favorite Miyazaki film. I could watch that movie over and over again and never get tired of it. My least favorite Miyazaki film is Ponyo. Seriously, I don't care if it is Miyazaki we're talking about here, Ponyo actually kind of sucked.

SugarMoon

It's One on One.
I know it's not a universal favorite, but I've always loved Howl's Moving Castle as well. Ponyo is amazing too. After reading your post, it's amazing how much a wonderful film can really touch someone you know? I used to watch Spirited Away with mom. It was a really nice bonding experience with her. It'll always be one of my favorite movies.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
I know Whispers of The Heart but yes it is rather obscure. Princess Mononoke is hands down my favorite Miyazaki film. I could watch that movie over and over again and never get tired of it. My least favorite Miyazaki film is Ponyo. Seriously, I don't care if it is Miyazaki we're talking about here, Ponyo actually kind of sucked.
I didn't like Ponyo or Arietty my least favorites hands down, Up on poppy hill is also a good one really love slice of life anime/movies

SugarMoon

It's One on One.
I didn't like Ponyo or Arietty my least favorites hands down, Up on poppy hill is also a good one really love slice of life anime/movies
Holy mug I forgot all about Arietty. I planned on watching too lol. Was it that bad?

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Holy mug I forgot all about Arietty. I planned on watching too lol. Was it that bad?
It wasn't bad just not as good as some of the other Miyazaki films its better than Ponyo imo its just I wanted to see more of the little people instead of like that weird Romance between Arietty and that teenage boy whose name i forget

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I haven't seen Arietty yet but when I watch Miyazaki films like Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa, and Spirited Away I could watch those movies over and over again. Ponyo was one I could only watch once and not want to see it again because it just wasn't that good. The characters were ok but it kind of seems like one sloppy mess that went on a bigger scale with the plot than it should have. Why did the apocalypse have to linger over this story? I usually get crap for dissing a Miyazaki film but Ponyo is just not that good.

I also might get some crap for this but I have a personal issue with Howl's Moving Castle. It is a great film and I really enjoyed it but I I also am an avid reader so I've read the original work and the movie just seems to be Howl's Moving Castle in name only almost. It is drastically different from its original novel and it altered very key plot points in the story. I still enjoy Howl's Moving Castle but it does almost nothing for the book its based on as also it seems Miyazaki gets more recognition for its inception that Dianna Wynne Jones. Again, it's just sort of a personal thing. Still a great film though.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
It really is a magical film right? If you're feeling really brave, show him Grave of the Fireflies. If you cried over this then hoo-boy you better be packing some serious amounts of tissues for GotF. Glad to hear your dad was understanding though, just goes to show you the power of a good heartfelt story.
I still haven't been able to make byself see Grave of the fireflies because I've heard how sad it is. Maybe someday I will

As for other Ghibli films, My neighbour Totoro is special to me because it was one of the films I watched a lot with my Grandma before she died. She really liked that film, but she wasn't too keen on the cat bus.She also liked Whisper of the heart, but Totoro was her favourite.

I think with these films, people of all ages can watch them and make a special connection while watching it with friends and family. It's great those kind of films exist. ^_^

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I still haven't been able to make byself see Grave of the fireflies because I've heard how sad it is. Maybe someday I will

As for other Ghibli films, My neighbour Totoro is special to me because it was one of the films I watched a lot with my Grandma before she died. She really liked that film, but she wasn't too keen on the cat bus.She also liked Whisper of the heart, but Totoro was her favourite.

I think with these films, people of all ages can watch them and make a special connection while watching it with friends and family. It's great those kind of films exist. ^_^
I adore Cat Bus. That thing is just so weird and magical it's like, somebody struck gold on their acid trip.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
I haven't seen Arietty yet but when I watch Miyazaki films like Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa, and Spirited Away I could watch those movies over and over again. Ponyo was one I could only watch once and not want to see it again because it just wasn't that good. The characters were ok but it kind of seems like one sloppy mess that went on a bigger scale with the plot than it should have. Why did the apocalypse have to linger over this story? I usually get crap for dissing a Miyazaki film but Ponyo is just not that good.

I also might get some crap for this but I have a personal issue with Howl's Moving Castle. It is a great film and I really enjoyed it but I I also am an avid reader so I've read the original work and the movie just seems to be Howl's Moving Castle in name only almost. It is drastically different from its original novel and it altered very key plot points in the story. I still enjoy Howl's Moving Castle but it does almost nothing for the book its based on as also it seems Miyazaki gets more recognition for its inception that Dianna Wynne Jones. Again, it's just sort of a personal thing. Still a great film though.
Yeah i read Howls moving Castle and its sequel the house of many ways and i can agree the movie is pretty much in name only it's its own thing but i really love Howls moving castle it used to be my favorite movie as a kid growing up though i wish it was more faithful to the book if it was then maybe we could have gotten a movie adaption to the sequel ;-; and Ponyo should have had a scale similar to Kiki's delivery service

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Yeah i read Howls moving Castle and its sequel the house of many ways and i can agree the movie is pretty much in name only it's its own thing but i really love Howls moving castle it used to be my favorite movie as a kid growing up though i wish it was more faithful to the book if it was then maybe we could have gotten a movie adaption to the sequel ;-; and Ponyo should have had a scale similar to Kiki's delivery service
That was the biggest problem with Ponyo. It could have just stayed a simply cutesy love story between Ponyo and Sousuke but we had to toss in the end of the entire world in to this thing that was solved with something very simple like a promise. Plus what was up with Liam Neeson's character that said he was looking to destroy humans at one point and was never brought up again. I was like, dude, this is kind of a big deal for that guy's development and character.

I liked the mom but she also drives like a f*cking maniac! I was like wtf lady your kid is in the car and you're wanting to see if you can beat a tidal wave home?! But that's what made me like the mom. The lady was nuts! Plus there was some stupid and pointless scenes and it just wasn't good. I think people overrate just because Miyazaki's name is attached to it.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
That was the biggest problem with Ponyo. It could have just stayed a simply cutesy love story between Ponyo and Sousuke but we had to toss in the end of the entire world in to this thing that was solved with something very simple like a promise. Plus what was up with Liam Neeson's character that said he was looking to destroy humans at one point and was never brought up again. I was like, dude, this is kind of a big deal for that guy's development and character.

I liked the mom but she also drives like a f*cking maniac! I was like wtf lady your kid is in the car and you're wanting to see if you can beat a tidal wave home?! But that's what made me like the mom. The lady was nuts! Plus there was some stupid and pointless scenes and it just wasn't good. I think people overrate just because Miyazaki's name is attached to it.
Yeah but that reminds me
TheWindRisesPoster-thumb-630xauto-35588.jpg

NEW MIYAZAKI MOVIE THAT WE PROBABLY WON'T GET UNTIL 2015 WOOOOOOOOO

SugarMoon

It's One on One.
I have to admit, the mom scenes were probably my favorite and most memorble parts of the movie for me. And when you put it that way...it's kinda sad lol.
Yeah but that reminds me
TheWindRisesPoster-thumb-630xauto-35588.jpg

NEW MIYAZAKI MOVIE THAT WE PROBABLY WON'T GET UNTIL 2015 WOOOOOOOOO
Oooh what's it called I can't read it but I wanna see it soooo bad >_<

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
Yeah i'm not even going to apologise for this. I refuse. You can't make me.

firerising_zps55f919de.jpg

(I'm funny dammit)

Top Bottom