• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I Want to Get Into Dynasty Warriors (sort of)...DW8

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Yeah the title says it all.

I never played a DW game outside a demo for DW: Strikeforce (I think that was what it was called) and I really didn't like it and DW seemed tooo......well extremely campy and odd to me when I looked at it (the music was so cheesy, the voice acting though good felt so campy, the dialogue was corny as hell but that was what I got out of a demo of Strikeforce). I've heard plenty of things about it, such as it being repetitive, boring, stupid at time, or something. However, Jim Sterling gave the series praise by saying its the Citizen Kain of gaming.....whatever that means. So I sort of ignored it but upon recently (a year ago) discovered something about the game.

wang_yuanji_dw7xl_concours_by_shangshan3-d479d3k.jpg

640px-Bao_Sanniang_Wallpaper_%28WO3_DLC%29.jpg
2013-04-11-571630.jpeg

IT HAD HOT CHICKS IN IT!!!

I especially grew a hard on for Wang Yuanji, Bao Sanniang, and Guan Yinping (don't judge me).......mostly Wang Yuanji though.

So I gained more interest in the series and decided to look it up some more by watching gameplay vids of DW7 and some of DW8 (the new one coming out soon in the US this July).

I decided to give it a chance for I felt a demo of Strikeforce (the worst in the series I heard) wasn't very fair to write it off as bad. Plus I heard by plenty of people that it was an awesome series. I even saw a retrospective only covering DW4-DW6 as well as Orochi 1 & 2 and it seemed DW started out as a series that was either okay or meh but got better and when I saw a Zeitgeist review for DW7, he said the game was amazing and based on what I heard it sounds like my kind of game (multiple story lines to follow, alternating and branching storylines, and multiple endings it sounded like Disgaea, my favorite JRPG series of all time, but in hack and slash form and on crack and one game had like 30 endings and the games are filled to the brim with content and massive character roster with lots of ways for customizations such as equipping various weapons...my kind of game as well). I did some more research on DW especially DW8 and outside some other stuff I heard I'm liking it.

One problem I had was the story was fearing I would get lost after hearing that after DW5 or something each game just retells the story of Lou Guanzhong's Romance of the Three Kingdoms and that DW8 would basically be a drastic retelling so it seems I don't need to play the others to understand the story for one DW game....heh?

I also feared the story was going to be campy, stupid, corny, and terrible but based on that review of DW7 and some other DW game, DW tend to have amazing stories with great characterization, interesting plot twists, betrayals, love triangles. Basically a war story or story about war in ancient China...so I might like the story.

I might pick up DW8 when it comes out.

Why am I sharing this with you?

I wonder what everyone else feels about this series and I need some extra opinions of if I should get into it or not?

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
i was just joking about your fire for thengirls by referncing star wars.not played game so cant help, check out youtube reviews,

Did that a little bit and for the most part recent DW games (well mainly DW7) have got really positive reviews (I have to yet see one for DW8 yet).

Hopefully DW8 is better than DW7.

DW seems to be that series that is constantly sh*tted on by critics but is constantly improving/innovating with each and every game and Omega Force seems to have reached a strong point with DW7....apparently.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Dynasty Warriors 6 had the greatest departure in terms of gameplay where you could attack endlessly and I think it removed combos or something - been a while since I played a DW game. Dynasty Warriors 1 was actually a fighting game like Street Fighter. DW2 started the series that it is today. DW7 returned the series to it's "original" combat formula while expanding things like being able to switch weapons, combos, and the musou gauge. I think DW8 is supposed to do the same as well.

Samurai Warriors plays similarly, but you could roll since the first game and combos worked differently. Overall, they're similar. Unfortunately, SW was left for the Nintendo side of gaming, beginning with SW3, and DW has been on Microsoft and Sony consoles since DW6.

Warriors Orochi or Orochi Warriors combines Samurai Warriors and Dynasty Warriors along with cameos from Ninja Gaiden and I think Dead or Alive. Additionally, it adds both Japanese and Chinese mythology, but focuses on Orochi, obliviously with the namesake. In this series, you could switch through three characters and each character was grouped in "Skill", "Power", and "Speed" sub-groups allowing for added effects during finishers and stuff.

You also have your Gundam Warriors or whatever it's called. Basically time doesn't exist and many stories of the Gundam franchise are fused together. I don't know much about this series, so yeah. What new mechanics and such, I have no idea, but I do know the Gundam series up to 00. Like bits and pieces, not the whole story of each new story.

Sengoku Basara or Devil Kings as it was originally called overseas, was Capcom's take on Samurai Warriors. The difference between SB and SW was that SB was over-the-top and SW was more toned down.

I don't like the series anymore, since I was bored to death with the monotonous gameplay, however, the series does offer introductions and summaries of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Han period in China; and the Warring States period or Sengoku period in Japan. I don't really have tips into getting into the series, but just think of it as mindless fun where you hack and slash thousands of people therefore massacring people for your own enjoyment, sadist. Funny, I think each game has a sadistic character you can play as.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
The reason it is just sh!tted on all the time is because it's virtually the same game every single time. The first time I ever played Dynasty Warriors it was fun for like, the first hour. It's so goddamn repetitive it isn't funny. You will get bored really really fast. You played a demo. That's basically the whole game for you.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Dynasty Warriors 6 had the greatest departure in terms of gameplay where you could attack endlessly and I think it removed combos or something - been a while since I played a DW game. Dynasty Warriors 1 was actually a fighting game like Street Fighter. DW2 started the series that it is today. DW7 returned the series to it's "original" combat formula while expanding things like being able to switch weapons, combos, and the musou gauge. I think DW8 is supposed to do the same as well.

Samurai Warriors plays similarly, but you could roll since the first game and combos worked differently. Overall, they're similar. Unfortunately, SW was left for the Nintendo side of gaming, beginning with SW3, and DW has been on Microsoft and Sony consoles since DW6.

Warriors Orochi or Orochi Warriors combines Samurai Warriors and Dynasty Warriors along with cameos from Ninja Gaiden and I think Dead or Alive. Additionally, it adds both Japanese and Chinese mythology, but focuses on Orochi, obliviously with the namesake. In this series, you could switch through three characters and each character was grouped in "Skill", "Power", and "Speed" sub-groups allowing for added effects during finishers and stuff.

You also have your Gundam Warriors or whatever it's called. Basically time doesn't exist and many stories of the Gundam franchise are fused together. I don't know much about this series, so yeah. What new mechanics and such, I have no idea, but I do know the Gundam series up to 00. Like bits and pieces, not the whole story of each new story.

Sengoku Basara or Devil Kings as it was originally called overseas, was Capcom's take on Samurai Warriors. The difference between SB and SW was that SB was over-the-top and SW was more toned down.

I don't like the series anymore, since I was bored to death with the monotonous gameplay, however, the series does offer introductions and summaries of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Han period in China; and the Warring States period or Sengoku period in Japan. I don't really have tips into getting into the series, but just think of it as mindless fun where you hack and slash thousands of people therefore massacring people for your own enjoyment, sadist. Funny, I think each game has a sadistic character you can play as.

Wow thanks for the help.

I always wanted to try out Sengoku Basara but forgot about it over time. I think it looks the more fun and the epic of the Warrior series (although its not a warrior game and not made by Tecmo Koei/Omega Force) but it seems to be lacking in content (something DW is now infamous for) and characters (SB has like a few dozen while DW, SW, and WO can go up to 100) and it seems SB has some tricks and ideas from Devil May Cry considering its made by some of the same team but it was always toooooo....Shonen-ai for me and screams girly fan service with designs like this.

images

Reminds me of this
Hero-jaejoong-hairstyle.jpg

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Don't forget about Masamune Date's Engrish. Before you ask, yes, Sengoku Basara has an anime.

And don't forget to:

The series is usually released only in Japan, except for the first Sengoku Basara (Devil Kings) and the third: Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes. The fourth game which is supposed to come out in 2014 for the PS3 might only be a Japanese release. Who knows.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Yeah I always knew about the Sengoku Basara anime. I only watched season 1 though. Might as well watch season 2 and the movie as well.

I'll try out Samurai Heroes probably after I try out DW8 (that is if I do decide to get it).

Then try out Warriors Orochi (should I skip to WO2 or at least try out WO as well or there is no need?)

Top Bottom