• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I finished DMC2

KillerIsDeadFor Real

Hey guys.

I got the pleasure of playing DMC2...and well...wow...I mean...I'm not really sure if I can really call it a DMC game...I mean it was well...I'll explain.

So here's my review;

Gameplay
The gameplay was pretty slow compared to the DMC's I've played. I felt as though Dante was so limited in this one. I couldn't do much aerial combos, his ground moves were clunky, and the guns seemed so OP that I felt like I was on easy mode while I was on hard mode.:/ And the weapons were just more guns, while the other weapons were just different forms of the same sword. That was...boring. I did like the DT system in being able to customize it, and I also liked the add in of the super DT which was badass, but was also a bit OP to the max. But I also noticed that they had rainstorm, running up walls, and twosome time in it, so I guess DMC2's gameplay did bring in some good ideas for the other games. Playing as Lucia seemed like a good add in as well, but also a bit of a downturn for me because it felt like it was a chore just to play as her.

Graphics
The graphics and environment were very dark and gothic. I liked the areas because they really reminded me of DMC1, but they also were pretty bland and didn't have much to offer to the imagination. I did like the tomb level, the city, and the tower were things were a different take, but I really didn't find them as amazing as DMC1's locations and they were nothing like DmC's cool locations. The only time I really felt it was as cool as DmC was when the building boss came in and morphed out of the building, but even that was a bit bland as well. The graphics looked pretty good for their time so that was actually nice to see.

Story
The story...:( Well...It wasn't bad really, but it also wasn't very good. It seemed like it was a bit rushed and very under developed in my eyes. Dante just had to go stop a powerful rich demon summoner and kill him. Lucia's story was actually more interesting to me but even then it wasn't that much better.

Characters
Dante was really silent in this one. He seemed so serious and didn't even talk that much either. I missed the cocky, smack talking, Dante of the other games I'v played (DMC1, DMC4...(not really, didn't like DMC4 Dante that much), and DmC) But here he was really dull and was so solemn that I felt like I wasn't playing as Dante at all. However I did like his outfit. It was awesome. Lucia was so plain to me. I liked her concept and all, but she seemed so uninteresting to me that I couldn't get myself to keep playing her level. Matier was just there to move the plot around, Arius was annoying to me really fast. The one demon named Bolvork would have made a better main enemy in my opinion. The final fire boss was cool though.

Difficulty
The game was VERY easy. I mean, I didn't think I could clear the entire game with only guns. But the chopper took to long with just guns though. It was really simple to beat, and all it took was being able to dodge at the right time and everything would have been more simpler. Even DMC was a breeze after I really got the hang of it. The final cluster of bosses mixed into one was more annoying then hard though.

All in all

in terms of a score, I give it a 4/10:(

It just wasn't that good to me. I really felt like it lacked a lot from DMC1, and I recently discovered that a different group made this one as appose to the DMC1 group so I guess that's why.

Next up is DMC3.^_^

Onecrazymonkey1

Yeah you summed up how I felt about DMC 2. Although I hope you have fun with DMC3! I at least think you'll be happy that Dante will have the smack talking cocky personality that we all know and love without being obnoxious! ^_^

DmcJACKPOT

Let's rock!
about the environment, i have to say, i'm kinda into the city theme, though the camera angle was.....unpleased to me, others are just plain too simple
Character: i don't play Lucia. For Dante, he's quiet, but somehow i am really into his personality :/ i dunno why, Then again, i would like to see him a bit more cocky, something like DMC anime or better: SMT: Nocturne

KillerIsDeadFor Real

about the environment, i have to say, i'm kinda into the city theme, though the camera angle was.....unpleased to me, others are just plain too simple
Character: i don't play Lucia. For Dante, he's quiet, but somehow i am really into his personality :/ i dunno why, Then again, i would like to see him a bit more cocky, something like DMC anime or better: SMT: Nocturne

I did see him in SMT nocturne. He was much better there.

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
Just Started it today

I expected Sonic 06 levels of bad, only got Sonic Heroes levels of bad. I am dissapoint

It's playable but boring....and by god is it repetitive

Also Lucia>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dante
It would be cool to have Lucia as an angel in the DmC universe, DAT DT

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
This is really a fair review of DMC2. You've summed up my feelings for it perfectly. The only time the game had a challenge is with the first of the final bosses where all its parts attack attack at the same time in DMD mode.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
This really makes me not want to play DMC2 :( i know i have to cuz im trying to play through the storyline game by game and completely achievement hunt it(as much as possible) but to hear that it was that bad i mean 4/10 ouch

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Just Started it today

I expected Sonic 06 levels of bad, only got Sonic Heroes levels of bad. I am dissapoint

It's playable but boring....and by god is it repetitive

Also Lucia>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dante
It would be cool to have Lucia as an angel in the DmC universe, DAT DT

Wait till you unlock Trish. :3

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
Playing it for the first time in many years. Thank god for the HD collection, otherwise this game would probably be hard to find. Done with Dante's story and Lucia is on Mission 8. So far I like it way more than I did those many years ago, I just really hate how vague the story is and the lack of much character input.

But my god do I love Trish. 6/10 for now. The game isn't bad at all and this version of Dante upset me until I saw him in SMT Noctune, now I love him. But yeah there are a lot of problems with the game I'll agree.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
From what ive heard dmc2 is a mixed bag:( i mean i hear great things about dmc3 (which ive played and loved) and great things about dmc1(which im looking forward to) and i even hear great things about dmc4(which in lot of cases the complaints are about the character holes and the repetitivness while the gameplay recieves an A) not sure if its something i should look forward to or something im just playing for achievements and to complete the story

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
It's kind of funny how when this game first came out it was looked as a B listed game and earned 7/10's from most reviews, but later when 3 and 4 get released pull turn back around to despise it. Truth be told we couldn't have a 3 or a 4 without DMC2 as those two games borrowed, a lot of what worked, from it. I wont pretend it's a god sent game but I do think people are ridiculous in giving it anything less than a 5 maybe.

No it wasn't a proper sequel because back in 03 it was meant to be it's own thing.

Top Bottom