• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I could use a little help in terms of gameplay mechanics :)

Berger

So I am actively playing DmC and I decided to create this thread in order to deal with some questions concidering gameplay mechanics, that might come up. Please ask and answer as much as you want! :)

Eg. I wanted to know how many of you guys handle the button press for JC's in DmC on the controller. I have a really hard time, switching from Y to A eg and keep a JC-combo running. I am often way too slow to keep performing such a JC-Combo. Therefore I started sliding from Y to A in order to press both buttons fast enough. But that does not seem too percise for me to actually keep performing it like this. How do you guys do it? Am I just too slow with my fingers, when spamming Y and A one after another?
Hope one could understand what I am talking about :D

Judge

I completely understand what your talking about. In many ways the control setup and the responsiveness of the controls is the best in the series, but there were a couple of things I didn't like about the controls.

You can map nearly anything to the keypad as you like. With JC, even though I didn't use it much, the main thing I did was remap the Launcher button and the Jump button so they were close in a way that my thumb would press one before pressing the other. It worked pretty well, but I'm not a huge JC fan, and I'm not that great at it, but that technique does work well.

You can also do things like having the Shoot button on one of the shoulder buttons. So what you can do is when you attack with Rebellion with a face button, you can hold down the shoot button with one of your index fingers and you can charge the guns as you are attacking an enemy with a melee combo. I didn't do that, but its a a lot more fulfulling to attack an enemy and charge your guns at the same time.

One of my best tricks was to assign Gun Special to ONE shoulder button, so instead of having to press two of the face buttons in tandem, I just pressed the shoulder button to trigger Inverse Rainstorm as I'm high in the air, very satisifying and never fails.

The only thing I found a bit annoying is how Devil Trigger works this time with Dante, it was a bit uncessary to have both L3+R3 at the same trigger DT, and I think you can map that to one button if you like, its not like you desperately need two Evade buttons.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
If you're comfy with sliding your thumb, map Jump to either X or B. Or, if you're like me and find it easier to find the rhythm using two different fingers, map it to LB.

Berger

Thank you very much! I will try some of the things you mentioned!

What weapons do you use? For me, weapons like Kablooey or Arbiter are nothing I really can get myself into playing. I actually go for Eryx only when using demonic mode (coz of the DMG and the ability to easily break "super armor" with charged attacks), but I see most players actually prefering Arbiter.
Both angel-weapons feel really unique to me and therefore I also use both of them in appropriate situations. Eg. when fighting against a group of weaker enemies: grouping them with Aquilla, then going from Rebellion combo into Osiris air-combo and finishing the combo with Eryx ground slam and continuing with Osiris knockup and so on...
Both angel-weapons feel like the have a certain purpose. I am just too new to the game to fully understand the potential of all weapons, I think.

Also because I play Definitive Edition, I have the possibility to use the lock on system, which was only added in Definitive Edition. But is it actually worth using it, when comparing the use of the shoulder button to mapping any move on it, as you also just suggested?

Judge

Thank you very much! I will try some of the things you mentioned!

What weapons do you use? For me, weapons like Kablooey or Arbiter are nothing I really can get myself into playing. I actually go for Eryx only when using demonic mode (coz of the DMG and the ability to easily break "super armor" with charged attacks), but I see most players actually prefering Arbiter.
Both angel-weapons feel really unique to me and therefore I also use both of them in appropriate situations. Eg. when fighting against a group of weaker enemies: grouping them with Aquilla, then going from Rebellion combo into Osiris air-combo and finishing the combo with Eryx ground slam and continuing with Osiris knockup and so on...
Both angel-weapons feel like the have a certain purpose. I am just too new to the game to fully understand the potential of all weapons, I think.

Also because I play Definitive Edition, I have the possibility to use the lock on system, which was only added in Definitive Edition. But is it actually worth using it, when comparing the use of the shoulder button to mapping any move on it, as you also just suggested?

Give the lock-on a try, I frankly never used it because I could already target what I wanted without ever needing to a hold down a lock-on button. The L3 method of directing your attacks towards a desired target always proved to be much faster than holding a button, checking that the button has registered to the enemy and then attacking, but each to their own. Give it a try and see how you like it.

Revenant and E&I are really useful if you hold down charge shot as you attacking an enemy at the same time. Press and hold down the shoot button and then attack an enemy with something like Death Coil. Give it a try in the training mode, but its ultra satisfying when you get going. Its also ultra satisfying launching loads of enemies into the air then using gun specail mid air as they are all there with you. I might have a video where I did this stuff I will try to find it later.

Top Bottom