• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How to really play this game

MisterMagiKoopa

First and foremost I would like to thank everyone here for being so kind and curtious and helpful. :D You guys are awesome here. but now for my question and a little bit of gripe. so I got to the final form of Griffon just now but noticed when I got to him, I was mashed like a bug. Couldnt reach him to shoot him and would get knocked off platforms as soon as i got on one. So I looked up some strategies and was informed I needed another blue soul orb for extended health (my health bar is decently long but not waaay up) and the double jump. I farmed for red orbs for two hours guys. TWO. FREAKING. HOURS. Good thing I work in the afternoons/evenings becauss iy was midnight before i was done. XD When I fought him again he was a piece of cake. still took some decemt damage but he is toast. So to give you a insight on how my health bar looks, after buying that last orb the next one cost 4,800 orbs I think. Next thing. Is it normal for me to be struggling SOOO much with this game? I mean damn. This game is A LOOOT tougher then I expected. Even with my upgrades. So my next question is am I playing this game correctly (spending two hours grinding for some upgrades) and going balls to the wall with combat. I have trouble dodging because the camera tends to be a bit jerky and i usually get swarmed by baddies. I hear all these people saying this game isnt hard enough. Why do i have so much trouble? thank you guys. please leave any helpful advice you may have. Have one hell of a night. ;)

replying to my own post I give up onthis game. 2 reasons. 1 I have the h.d. version/collection which means I basically DO have to grind on the same level for hours instead of just recycling my orbs by just resetting the level like in the ps2 version. 2. the game is simply too difficult. I just rage quit at two frozen looking lizards because while trying to dodge their attacks I am still getting creamed even whilst trying to attack because the camera is as jerky as if i were playing this game while riding an a.t.v. I am not sure if its the port or the game but I am VERY disappointed that I have to do this. If I keep trying though I am just gonna get bored and tired of having my ass kicked so screw it. I think I am going to try and focus on another game for the time being. I hope this post doesnt upset anyone. Thats not my purpose of this post. I am just letting everyone know this might not be my cup of tea and to not take offense if i am not on this forum very much. If anyone has any information as to maybe this port is just poop or if the ps2 version is exactly the same (been WAAAY too long since i last played and it was on easy) please notify me because I would hate to miss out on a good game series all because of some mistake. Thanks. Cheers everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
You don't need to grind for anything in the game and it can be defeated on the hardest difficulty no damage. Your problem is you don't know the strats for each enemy, when you do know them you can kill them easily with a couple of hits.

http://speeddemosarchive.com/DevilMayCry.html#100pDMD
Just use these as reference, or look at Jochs stuff on YT/ devils-lair.org. But I'd recommend Sterns as you have the commentary option which is really useful.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Agreed once you figure out a system for each boss and learn the patterns for each one it becomes fairly easy. if you need to lvl up faster however i recomend replyign the first 3 lvls of each game usually a good strat for getting more orbs

SpawnShooter

if you need to lvl up faster however i recomend replyign the first 3 lvls of each game usually a good strat for getting more orbs

Unfortunately that won't work in DMC1 as you can't select missions and carry over progress that way.

If you do want to grind for red orbs the best places are the Phantom hallway fight (mission3) fighting sin scissors repeatedly in the area you have to use the Pride of the Lion, the Phantom fight that appears in that area on harder difficulties during an intermission or farming Plasmas towards the end of the game in the bi-plane room.

If you're not near those areas than in all honesty it's not worth grinding, it won't make your life easier to have more orbs especially on Normal difficulty when everything dies so fast when fought properly.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
i didnt know you couldnt back track in dmc1 that kinda sux:/ and whats the pride of the lion?

and can you replay lvls in dmc 2? or the new dmc?

Last edited by a moderator:

SpawnShooter

i didnt know you couldnt back track in dmc1 that kinda sux:/ and whats the pride of the lion?

You can still backtrack but the amount of orbs you'll receive is just awful (ranging from around 1 to 30 depending on Style rank) so it's much better to either pick other areas or just progress through until you get to them if you can.

The Pride of the Lion is an item you receive for defeating the boss Phantom in mission 3, you use it with a statue and it makes a Shadow enemy spawn.

EDIT:
and can you replay lvls in dmc 2? or the new dmc?

Yeah, DMC2 started the mission select and Bloody Palace staples.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Kool and when you say shadow enemy are we talking one or multiple and whats the danger factor for each one if more then one and how many does it spawn at once if it is multiple?

SpawnShooter

It just spawns one Shadow, they're fairly difficult at first but the same with all enemies in this game are really easy if you know how to beat them. You just have to critical hit them.

To critical hit them you wait for them to do a specific attack where they shoot their head at you like a spike, if you jump on their head you can kill them really fast with gun fire. It doesn't work on DMD difficulty but still is very effective.

Top Bottom