• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Gunner Wright, The Newfound Voice of Isaac Clarke

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Gunner-Clarke.png

Where was Isaac’s voice in the first Dead Space? We don’t know, but we’ve found it in Gunner Wright in the epic sequel Dead Space 2. The game has came, saw, and conquered. Now we have a chance to talk to the man behind the necromorph killing space engineer. We discuss Gunner’s interest in horror,working on the game, and his interest in the Dead Space movie. Hit the jump for the full interview.

HD: How was it taking a character with no personality and giving him one? What were the struggles?

It was awesome CJ but also challenging. The big struggle was to find the right tone and attitude for Isaac from voice to objective. He’s not a “super soldier” but he also doesn’t puke at the sight of blood….at least not anymore. EA / Visceral were very helpful in getting me to walk that fine line.​
HD: How familiar are you with the Dead Space franchise? Did you know of it prior, or did you jump into it after you were cast?

I wasn’t familiar with the franchise before I was cast. But I definitely did my homework once I booked the job. I was given a lot of drawings, concept art, back story and notes from EA. It’s pretty cool, I still have all of it nestled by my script.​
9czss.jpg

HD: How did the role of Isaac get presented to you? Did you seek it out, or were you connected to it by an agent?

I remember seeing the breakdown and liked the description of Isaac’s character. Ironically my commercial agent got me the audition. I thank her all the time!​
HD: How was it working with EA and your fellow cast?

Amazing.. I know there was underlying pressure to get it right you know…study, prepare, show up ready and deliver the best performances that I could. That’s all you can do. The folks at EA / Visceral had to grind on it full time and I never felt it. They are so passionate about games and the Dead Space franchise. They made it fun and gave me a creative world to play in. They are the reason DS2 is successful.​
HD: Is there anything in particular about Dead Space that stands out to you?

The atmosphere, I want to have a condo on the Sprawl! (minus necromorph infestation). I was also super pumped on the suits and Zero G. If I could have that now I might just put my motorcycle away for good.​
HD: Seeing as how Isaac has been adapted to look similar to you, would you jump at the chance to portray him in the future live action film?

I feel like we already shot a film, one that you can play. As for DS2 live action, I already have the plasma cutter so lets roll camera…give the heart wrenching romantic tear jerker to someone else.​
IMG_8584.jpg
HD: What is your favorite horror piece? Movies, books, games.

Well I think you still have to respect the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. That movie scarred my dreams for months.​
HD: Did you record the weapon effects for the foam finger? Pew pew!

I did and yes everyone in the sound booth were laughing their asses off. It was tough to get them out without cracking up.​
HD: Do you think your mom hates Dead Space 2?

I know she hates DS2…… but I also know she loves Isaac Clarke. And hey, he loves her too!​
We would like to thank Gunner for his time and great performance in Dead Space 2. We’re patiently awaiting his return in the inevitable Dead Space 3 and are rooting for his movie appearance.

Source: http://helldescent.com/2011/02/25/gunner-wright-the-newfound-voice-of-isaac-clarke/

Nobody else could voice Isaac better than this guy. :D

Top Bottom