• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Games that define a Console generation

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I just made a fun thread for games that you think defines a certain gaming generation,it doesn't just have to be the best or even a well known game it just has to be the game which comes your mind when you think about a certain generation so it has to be just 1 or 2 games.

1st Gen:-
Space invaders&Pacman
2nd Gen:-
Classic Castlevania(NOT metroidvania)&Mario
3rd Gen:-
Metal slug&Mega Man X
4th Gen:-

Resident evil 3&Tekken 3
5th Gen:-

GTA San Andreas&Hitman BM

And as far as current gen goes i'd have to wait for 5 more years to come up with a retrospect.:D

Last edited:

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
@ROCKMAN X
Okay Will Robinson
That's a nice list for individual platforms but what would be the 2 staple games that you think defines the generation?

Like for ex: Metal slug&Megaman X is what defines the 2nd generation of 2d hardcore gaming to me.

and btw was HOTD was originally on saturn? i thought it was an arcade game which was later on ported to PC&consoles.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
@ROCKMAN X
I'm not understanding what you define as a generation.
For me a generation is the start of console's life cycle to it's end when the next generation console comes out.
Actually a video game generation is just a time period so it doesn't have anything to do with specific consoles or platforms..

hardware-timeline.jpg

For ex:pS2,Gamecube,xbox all belong to the same video game generation so you can pick 2 games that best defines that time period.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
PS1:

Metal Gear Solid
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Final Fantasy VII
Chrono Trigger
Resident Evil
Gran Turisomo
Silent Hill
Twisted Metal 2

PS2:

GTA San Andreas
Metal Gear Solid 3
Devil May Cry 3
God of War
ICO and Shadow of the Colossus
Prince of Persia the sands of time
Resident Evil 4
Persona 4

PS3:

Uncharted 2
Batman Arkham City
GTA IV
Red Dead Redemption
Demon Souls
The Last of Us
Assassin's Creed 2

Xbox:

Halo
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

PC:
Diablo 2
Half life 2
CounterStrike
Starcraft 2
Warcraft 3
Call of Duty
Deus Ex
Rome Total War
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Arma 2
Max Payne
Hitman: Blood Money
Battlefield 2
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Portal
Left 4 Dead
Fallout 3
Dragon Age: Origins
Mass Effect 2
The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim
The Witcher 2

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
First generation: Pong?

Second generation: Err... Frogger?

Third generation: Mario

Fourth generation: Sonic. BTW - check out The Gaming Historian's video which tackles the origins of Sonic, really fascinating:

Fifth generation: Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid

Sixth generation: Grand Theft Auto III

Seventh generation: Gears of War

Eighth (current) generation: Err... everything 'next gen' seems pretty pants so far.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Yeah, I cheated by putting in different systems. Bugger off.
At least try to list games that aren't multiplatform..

Prince of Persia: T2T was on xbox,gamecube,wii,pc and psp and Devil May Cry 3 was also on pc.

Darksiders II,Sleeping Dogs&Arkham Asylum were also on PC&xbox 360.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was also on Saturn.. it just never got a US release.
Why do so many people keep missing the point?? Just narrow your list to 2 games! and it doesn't have anything to do with a specific console.

Last edited:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
At least try to list games that aren't multiplatform..

Prince of Persia: T2T was on xbox,gamecube,wii,pc and psp and Devil May Cry 3 was also on pc.

Darksiders II,Sleeping Dogs&Arkham Asylum were also on PC&xbox 360.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was also on Saturn.. it just never got a US release.Why do so many people keep missing the point?? Just narrow you list to 2 games! and it doesn't have anything to do with a specific console.
I never really liked the "Microsoft" exclusives. The only ones I was ever really into was Ninja Gaiden Black, Jet Set Radio Future and Shenmue II... this was back before MS decided to "Halo" everything in sight (imho).

Allow me to "revise" my list...

(5th?) Gen:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xbox: Shenmue II and Jet Set Radio Future. (Both were exclusive)

(6TH?) Gen : Darksiders II and Sleeping Dogs (Not exclusive)

PS Vita (4th Portable?) Gen: Persona 4 Golden and Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen (Both exclusive... P4G improved on the original game so much it's almost it's own separate entry now.

[No 3DS games on this part of the list.]

Game Boy Advance: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon and Ninja Five-O (Exclusive)

PSP & DS (3rd Portable?) Gen: Phantasy Star Portable 2 and Persona 3 Portable

[No DS Games on this part of the list, either.]

Playstation (4th?) Gen: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Soul Reaver

I didn't pick FF7 on the PS Gen because while the game had an absolutely outstanding sense of atmosphere, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the other two games on this list.

NES (2nd?) Gen: Ninja Gaiden II and The Legend of Zelda: The Adventure of Link

Genesis (3rd?) Gen: Phantasy Star II and Shinobi III

PSII is one of the most frustrating games ever. However, despite its massive difficulties, and glaring flaws, it's probably one of the few games out there that stuck with me, on an emotional as well as an artistic level.

There. My list is now within the paradigms of your thread. But you know how hard it is to pick just two games, though.

Last edited:

Meg

Hmmm....interesting thread idea. I've only had Playstations, but I'll do my best to pick.

PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era
Ratchet and Clank
Devil May Cry
(or maybe Resident Evil 4......?) :unsure:

PS3/360/Wii
Dead Space 3
The Last of Us

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Well if it wasn't a N64 exclusive i'm sure it would've been more popular.
It was still insanely popular. But it was a defining title that revolutionized 3d platformers and hell pioneered a good bit of open world games if you ask me. All that being said, I personally loved Banjo Kazooie more but don't get me wrong, Mario 64 is still an amazing game I am also currently running through again.

Meg

The presence of certain games is disturbing.
Allow me to explain my choices. They are actually quite cynical.

I picked The Last of Us because of this past generation's obsession with realism and dark, gritty srs bns stories. All while sacrificing interesting, fun gameplay in exchange for boring, repetitive crap and treks through generic, post-apocolyptic or worn torn settings.

I picked Dead Space 3 because this past generation also marked the rise in company's obsession with ripping off the player: micro-transactions, on-disk DLC, online passes and other bullshit. Not to mention, the annoying obsession companies have with making everything more like Call of Duty. Even though Dead Space really shouldn't be like that, EA/ Visceral thought it would be a good idea to take a perfectly good action survival-horror game and remove the horror part completely in favor of generic action and other crap.

Together, The Last of Us and Dead Space 3 are the very definition of last-gen.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Actually, the way I see it is more regarding the most associable titles of a council with that council that I would instal the tile of 'Games that Defined a Generation.'

For example, for the NES era I would associate MegaMan 2 with that generation, but the reality of it is still that the game that defined that generation would have to go to Super Mario Bro. When most people think NES their thoughts will more than likely go to that title and that is how that would work, not so much by personal preference but by popular recognition. For Sega's Genesis Sonic will always be the face of that council. SNES, Super Mario World and so on.

With councils like the DreamCast and beyond it gets a bit more blurry since there were so many more successful and defining games in all their libraries, and while Halo could definitely be called the face of the XBox it's not as clear cut for the 360 or the PS3 or even the PS2. There are just too many. What would the face of the PS1 look like? Crash Bandicoot? Final Fantasy VII? Lara Croft? Metal Gear Solid? Castlevania: SotN? There are far too many in too many people's views to have a definite game to call the face of it's generation.

Let's not even get started on the handheld titles.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Allow me to explain my choices. They are actually quite cynical.
Together, The Last of Us and Dead Space 3 are the very definition of last-gen.
Oddly enough that makes sense,this "HD generation" was trying to be all hyper realistic&gritty by sacrificing everything that was fun about gaming resulting in linear game design,overly cinematic gameplay and lot of focus on being "Realistic",its kinda reminiscent to PS1 era's fixation with "3d games".
not so much by personal preference but by popular recognition.
Not really.. this thread is about games that you personally think defines a generation it doesn't have anything to do with the popularity of the game at all.

And let's get one thing straight here.. consoles do not have an "exclusive" generation they all share the same generation regardless of exclusive games.
What would the face of the PS1 look like?
As i said.. this thread is not about consoles,its about the entire generation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom