• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Functional specification for next-gen controller

aoshi

Hello,

Greetings.

I would like to add one more face button to controllers of Next-gen(since we are going next-gen anyway).

Currrently, current gen and next gen controllers of consoles(don't include handhelds) have only 4 face buttons and 4 trigger buttons.

PS4 : 4 face buttons:

ps4_controller_layout_by_chandlerdylan8-d5vuag6.jpg

XBOXONE:

ngzh.jpg

Wii-U:
v3h2.jpg

As we see, all these controllers have standard 4 face buttons and 4 trigger buttons.

There is a need for another face button since some games require it as i see it.

For example, in resident evil 5 , more than 2 actions are mapped to the same button.

I am going by XBOX controls here,

X is mapped to:
1)pick up item
2)climb ladder, pick up ladder, kick down ladder.
3)Melee.

Now consider this, You are aiming for a critical knee shot and get it perfect for a melee, but the enemy is near a ladder and there are items lying in the vicinity of the enemy. In most cases, I have seen melee take precedence but sometimes i climb the ladder or pick up the item. This conflict can be averted if we have one more face button that lets us climb ladders. Now the conflict is reduced to melee or pick up item. Not the ideal solution but the conflict in actions is reduced.

RE 6 resolved this by mapping melee to a different button. But still mapped X to 3 different actions.

1)Pick up item
2)Slide over boxes, tables or any obstacle that can be slided over.
3)Climb ladders.

Although conflict would mostly between sliding or picking up items.

But RE 6 gave good controls as a whole. We can customize manual reloading which was not possible in RE 4 or RE 5.

Now for DMC 4 which had a real conflict of assigning more than one action to same button.

PS 3 controls.

L2- Same button for 3 different weapons.(Guns)
R2-Same button for 3 different weapons. (Melees)
Darkslayer - Mapped to same style button and not a different button due to lack of extra buttons.

This is technically toggling. Like Caps Lock. Same button is to turn on both on and off. We could customize ourselves to always be aware of which state the caps lock is but sometimes we could only do that by double-checking or looking at the LED. In DMC 4, The HUD gives us which style we are equipped.

When we already are toggling over 3 weapons on left and 3 weapons on right, Darkslayer toggling becomes cumbersome. With practice, we can totally achieve this but we could use another face button in such cases since we are going next-gen anyway.

(I really hate using Caps-lock)

There are two-layouts which gives us most combinations as per DMC 4.

Layout 1: (PS 3 Button names)
4ljl.png

We can simply map new button to darkslayer and map any and all actions of darkslayer to new button. Jus like DMC 3 where one button performs any and all actions of a style.

This has diagonal movement advantage where we can couple charge shots with melee jump- cancelling.(Going by default control scheme of DMC 4)

Layout 2:

rmab.png

This does not have diagonal advantage but can give same combinations as the lay out 1. May be player can customize.

I know that a keyboard can be used for gameplay but not all buttons are assigned actions nor give rise to a ton of combinations.

But imagine, we do get a hardware that's like a keyboard and assigns actions to every single key.

If it gets in the hands of classic DMC game developers,, Damn,,,it would be the beginning of an ...

3dnzc.gif

Top Bottom