1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final Fantasy XV

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by CheeseKao, Jun 11, 2013.

1. CheeseKao

CheeseKao Lord Cheesington

Final Fantasy Versus 13 has been renamed to Final Fantasy XV and will be coming to the PS4 and X1.

The Final Offer likes this.
  2. meg5493

meg5493 Praise the Sun!

Now all thats left is the Last Guardian

3. Z218

Z218 the man with doubts

4. Shin Muramasa

Shin Muramasa Metallic Stranger

I guess Square Enix sort of failed with having the Fabula Nova Crystallis series being all on the PS3. At the same time, the optimist in me feels that Square Enix will be true to their words about learning and experimenting from different past releases. I mean look at Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2, they did listen to the complaints and changed them, such as adding shops and towns and more "openness". Though those were more like reminders on what made a Final Fantasy game. Similarly, Lightning Returns uses a combat system that resembles Kingdom Hearts's, Type-0's, and its own combined. We have the ATB and Paradigm system that XIII and XIII-2 uses and Type-0's and later Kingdom Hearts's assigned ability buttons. Maybe Lightning Returns will be a "taste" of Final Fantasy XV, except slower and less dynamic since XV seems more open combat like Kingdom Hearts while XIII and Type-0 sort of had "instances" or combat phases/zones. Like I said, Kingdom Hearts 3 and XV, at the time Versus XIII, were said to share gameplay mechanics some of which made it into Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance from what I remember reading. If something didn't work for XV, it would be tried in 3 or Dream Drop Distance, vice versa. To make it short, I think XV will be a combination of Square Enix's past work - Final Fantasy Type-0, the XIII trilogy, and Kingdom Hearts - while still holding as its own with whatever plot, setting, etc.

The pessimist in me feels that this will be over-hyped even more than it was. This happened to Duke Nukem Forever I believe and it definitely happened to Final Fantasy XIII and the recent Fuse. Duke Nukem Forever was just return of a king, nothing much, even Gearbox said it wasn't supposed to be special. Fuse when it was announced was Overstrike and it was a funky looking game that turned into generic shooter with some uniqueness because Insomniac Games made the mistake of revealing something still in its experimental stages, much more experimental than Final Fantasy XIII. Like here's the ideas experimental. That screwed the game so much and it's not a bad game, just a game that wasn't what it was supposed to be. Similarly, Final Fantasy XIII had the same hype with the combat system that people say is now in Lightning Returns. It wasn't the high-speed, turn-based, active-time RPG it was shown to be. Instead, it was a slower paced, active-time RPG that had it's flaws. Remember when Versus XIII was shown, man, I was so excited for that and I think a lot of people speculated over what Versus XIII would have and could do. Now, as time passed, I take things for what there are, not what they're supposed to be or at first shown to be.

The realist in me feels that this will be a game, whether good or bad depends on the person. I just hope that others will see Final Fantasy XV as what it is, a game made from the blood, tears, and sweat of a group of developers. Y'know, this bugs me after realizing it, but every time a game gets called terrible or whatnot, we always blame the company behind it and we always say its their fault or that they plain suck. What about the individual workers on the game? Sure there are companies who just want to make money, but I bet my life that there are plenty of developers who love their job; I would kill for a job at Square Enix, Ninja Theory, EA, Activision, Nintendo, Insomniac Games, Sucker Punch, etc. I would love to be part of developments for games that people will enjoy even if it's a couple of fans and plenty of haters or trolls. So they screwed up, was it intentional? Probably not and why would they make a bad game in the first place? Final Fantasy XIV failed and guess what, Square Enix picked it back up and revamped it to a respectable A Realm Reborn. Final Fantasy XIII met many criticisms and Square Enix continued it for people who enjoyed it and for people who wanted something better. Now we have XIII-2 and Lightning Returns. Nintendo unveiled Wind Waker, people were angered at the "cartoony" graphics and now Wind Waker stands as one of the greatest Zeldas of all time. Insomniac Games has a bad track record with the recent All 4 One, Full Frontal Assault, and Fuse, yet they're still continuing and they even said that the criticisms and complaints will help them make even better games in the future. Just a group of people doing what they love: making video games. Also, they're human, they will make mistakes.

And one more thing. I hope that Final Fantasy XV goes fully multiplatform. As in being on the PS4, which was confirmed I believe, the Xbox One, and the PC. There's no question that it can't be on the Xbox One since the PS4 and Xbox One are much closer to each other than the PS3 and Xbox 360 are. PC wouldn't be much of a trouble and it would be nice to have this generation start with games being playable across all platforms except for some obvious exceptions.

The Final Offer, Loopy and LysseC like this.
  5. Shin Muramasa

So apparently FFXV might be on the PS3 as well, sort of like MGS: GZ and V being on the PS3, Xbox One, and I'm assuming the PS4 and maybe PC - can't remember if it will be on the Xbox 360. Or Battlefield 4 being on the PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PC. Here's the source from Joystiq: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/10/final-fantasy-ps4/

I remember the trailer when it was still Versus XIII from January 2011 with the grass and tanks stuff. So we know that it's possible, but the differences in performance, eh, that's either minor or major issues. Like Final Fantasy XIII on Xbox 360 versus PS3, that's minor since there were some lower quality textures which didn't hamper the overall experience. Now if there's stuff like frame drops, freezes, extreme texture pop ins, extreme loading, etc. then those are major issues. Ugh, I do not want to be reminded of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood on the PS3 and floating Ezio on a horse. Either way, it's possible and definitely possible on Xbox One and PC if its running on the PS3 and PS4, heck, possible on the Wii U. Though Xbox 360 might run into issues with disc changes if there's a chance for XV to be on the 360.

Here's the trailer of then Versus XIII:

6. CheeseKao

Unofficial Youtube trailer added

7. Shin Muramasa

Now we can compare and contrast. Anyway, when the white robe dude is looking at Noctis's father, the lighting is different and his mustache seems less mustache-y, whether this is the lighting like the whole Big Boss is old fiasco in Ground Zeroes or it might be that the new trailer is rendering the scene in-game and not with CGI which is possible with how far graphics and technology has progressed.

8. CheeseKao

I'm not really one who pays close attention to stuff like that. All I hope is that jaggies will be minimal in the game.

9. Chancey289

Chancey289 Fake Geek Girl.

I think Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are the same game but, it's going to be separated kind of like the tanker mission and then the rest of the game in MGS 2.

10. Chancey289

On topic, yes I'm looking forward to this Final Fantasy because it's the freaking real time action pack FF game I've wanted all along.

11. CheeseKao

Dirge of Cerberus not real time enough for you?

Hello there guest. Please Register or Log in to view images!

12. Chancey289

Eh, that was a 3rd person shooter and also not that great. I'm glad we're getting the FF game that will have you playing and doing the stuff you see in cut scenes and sh!t. That's the FF game I've always wanted to play. Like a Final Fantasy DMC hybrid or something.

13. Shin Muramasa

I have no idea how we got to that... I was just mentioning the freakout when people saw Big Boss's "grey hair" from Fox Engine's lighting in the Ground Zeroes trailer. Remember that? This trailer?

Eh, it's just cool to see that things that Square Enix and many other developers want and now can do without CGI and entirely with their engines. It's just amazing to see how far technology progresses for me. It been like 10 years or so when we saw Final Fantasy X's CGI and Final Fantasy XIII alone looks impressive without it. Now we have Final Fantasy XV. Freaking amazing.

Real gamers play their own games in real life!

14. Chancey289

Sorry for being confusing. I saw you referring to Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain aka MGS V as separate games. I wasn't thinking when I went to quote. I should have pointed that out, my bad. Just forget what I was talking about this is suppose to be a Final Fantasy thread :P

15. Sieghart

Sieghart "Plough the lilies"

ABOUT......F*CKING.....TIME

Hello there guest. Please Register or Log in to view images!

16. Shin Muramasa

Confirmed through many sources - Joystiq, Kotaku, Siliconera, etc. - that Final Fantasy XV will be on the Xbox One, PS4, and PS3, I believe through the use of DirectX 11 which is what Square Enix will use to port over their new games. The x86 architecture allows the Xbox One, PS4 and the PC to be more "similar" to each other and allow less disparity between each "versions". In other words, you'll see more Vanquishs than Elder Scrolls - identically performing games than crappy port, slight differences, etc. Because DirectX 11 is involved with FFXV and maybe Kingdom Hearts 3, I think there might be a chance for a PC version. Don't get you hopes up until Square Enix confirms.

17. Loopy

Loopy Devil hunter in training

Got to say, I really like what I'm seeing. The graphics look so detailed and you can really see subtle movements in the faces that brings an extra layer of believability to the characters. I'm also interested to know more about the plot and combat. It looks almost like a cross between Kingdom hearts and Final Fantasy XII, but it's more dynamic.

I kinda figured it would become XV because of how long it was taking. It makes sense to just have it as a numbered title now instead of a XIII spinoff...we already have Lightning Returns to fill that place.

I can't wait to see more info and trailers, so I hope they'll have more for this year's TGS. ^_^

18. Shin Muramasa

For Pete's sake... So much video game news... Here's a new trailer on FFXV's combat. Note the weapon icons at the lower left. I'm assuming Noct and maybe other characters can "scroll-a-combo" or something like that. And stealth, context-sensitive, third-person shooter, and water/underwater gameplay mechanics are part of XV.

19. Shin Muramasa

It was supposed to be part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis set of games. It still is since it focuses on the "crystal" aspects and similar lore, however, they were all intended to have "XIII" in their names. The XIII series of Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. Final Fantasy Type-0 was Final Fantasy Agito XIII. And Final Fantasy XV was Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Personally, I thought it was cool they wanted to tie the games together like this, but I see the issues with all of them having "XIII" in the tile; a lot of people might think they're all connected together more than just lore and crystals.

20. Chancey289

I've never been this excited for a Final Fantasy game in my life. A more action packed Final Fantasy that isn't a turn based combat system. Sign me up.