• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Figurines of DMC characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osaka

trollololol
I was wondering if anyone had tried making their own figurines of DMC characters? I wouldn't mind trying to make dante, vergil and lady but have no idea where to start really. That and it might cost more than I'm guessing at the moment.

Meg

I tried making Nero out of clay and it was a disaster. I hear apoxy sculpt is really good. I would try that.

Osaka

trollololol
Thanks for that piece of advice. I've been looking round one of those hobbie craft stores and it's like so overwhelming! At least if I can get the right stuff I could get the character posing/looking how I want them to look. Of course I'm quite the novice at drawing and making statues so at first it'll most certainly look like crap lol.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
^ If I were you guys I'd ditch the idea of Apoxie sculpt - it's for taxidermists, or for use like Polyfilla (or for making fake rocks on sculpture bases). It's absolute crap for accurate detailed sculpting, trust me on this - it doesn't blend or mould well at the level of detail we're talking, like a 1/6th or 1/7th sculpt.

Instead try polymer clays like Puppen Fimo, Cernit or (what I use) Super Sculpey Firm, which is what the professionals in the sculpting biz are using. (Cheaper than two 1kg tubs of Apoxie as well). This stuff will take the finest details and stays pliable and blendable forever until you shove it in the oven, unlike Apoxie, which'll give you only a few hours' play time before it sets like concrete. I've been using Super Sculpey Firm for over a year and it's never given me problems. Ordinary Super Sculpey is okay, but I recommend mixing it with Cernit or Puppen Fimo to give it extra strength or your characters fingers and ears are prone to breaking off if someone handles your sculpts roughly.

I've got plans to make a Nelo Angelo when I get the time. Just for fun. I've been practicing human figures for while so I'm ready to try something different.

Also, I recommend using an internal metal armature for human figures like this. They just don't tend to be strong enough otherwise.

Meg

^ Really? A bunch of pros said apoxy sculpt. Oh well, it doesn't matter to me because i only do 2D art :p

V

Oldschool DMC fan
If you're talking about this stuff:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/*-TAXIDERMY-*...vr_id=&cguid=c96f00b911c0a0e202949644ffdfb9d3

Then yeah, it's no good compared to other stuff you can get. I've got a load of it in my room thinking it would be worthwhile, when I only ended up ditching it for polymer clay. I only use it for making rock bases or filling in holes on sculpts that will be covered with scales or fur, where it won't be seen.

Basically you have two problems with it - it sets after a short time; it's like the Green Stuff you get with Warhammer kits - your work time is limited and to make a decent sculpt you may be looking at *days* worth of work. Apoxie doesn't give you days, it gives you 24 hours... so if you've made a mistake, you're looking at starting again or chiselling bits off (which is hard). And it's less blendable than Green Stuff with a coarser texture. If you're trying to get it to hold fine detail, it kinda crumbles even after you've sat conditioning/mixing it for ages. It's like the difference between real clay and DAS - this stuff feels like it was made to fill and take simple details only.

How someone'd make a human figure out of it and apply it to an armature without bashing their head in in frustration I don't know, because the Apoxie is squishy as hell too before it sets. Kudos to whoever can manage it!

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Will as soon as I get the free time to be able to do it. Maybe take a series of photos through development too so I can show how I made it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom