• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Favorite Sparda scenario

Which account of what happened to sparda most appeals to you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

King Avallach

Deity of the Old World
You know how what happened to Sparda varies with every game? Well which scenario appeals the most to you. Is it DMC1: He stood alone against the demons then silently ruled over the human world until his death. Maybe DMC2: He did it with the help of the clan that protects Vie de Marli. DMC3: in which he sealed the door to the demon world trapping himself in the process. Or is it DMC4 in which he served as the feudal lord of Fortuna. Of course, if two vie for 1st place in your books, feel free to vote on more than one.

I must admit, for me it's DMC1 but that's likely because it is the original and the only one which did not contradict one or more previous games. I know how cliched it is, but in games like DMC, let's face it, cliche happens all the time.

Sparda™

All these scenarios are true, except the Devil May Cry bits. Since the release of new games, DMC1 has been the game that has suffered the most in terms of storyline contradiction.

Sparda never used the help of a clan in DMC2.

Dumary Island is an island off the coast of the Americas in which Devil May Cry 2 is set. The island was discovered by religious refugees from the Mediterranean region, who were branded as heretics for continuing to believe in the old pagan gods.

Though these refugees had once belonged to tribes that had historically feuded, they were forced to assimilate to each other in the new land, and as the generations passed with peaceable cohabitation, their original beliefs blended to become new, totally unique religions. These peoples became known as the Vie de Marli. They came to worship beings from Demon World, and the rites performed in honor of these beings often resembled exorcisms and demon sealing ceremonies. These religions were headed by the "guardians", a clan of priests who borrowed the demonic power of their "gods" in order to protect them and their worshipers.

Several hundred years ago, Sparda appeared from the Demon World to aid in exorcising Argosax the Chaos. He used the Arcana to seal the devil, and though he was temporarily trapped within the Demon world after the final battle with Argosax, he eventually returned to the Human world.

Recently, the multinational corporation Uroboros, headed by Arius, has begun to build on the island under the pretext of acquiring the "special ores" hidden within the island's mountains; however, its true purpose is to recover the Arcana and release Argosax.

While in DMC3...

Temen-ni-gru is a tower built by disciples of the demon clan, meant as a path from the Human World to the Underworld. It was sealed away, underground, by Sparda two thousand years ago when he sealed the gate between the two worlds, in a complex ritual requiring him to confiscate the names of fallen angels representing the seven deadly sins, imprison the tower's six gatekeepers, seal away Leviathan as well as his own demonic power, split the Perfect Amulet allowing passage between the worlds, and sacrifice both his blood and that of a human priestess named Mary.

While before Devil May Cry...

Sparda was once one of Mundus's loyal demons, but at some point he suffered a change of heart and switched sides, fighting to protect the humans. He defeated Mundus's demon armies, before moving on to the Emperor of Darkness himself. Sparda defeated Mundus, and sent him and his armies back to the demon realm. In order to close the gateway, Sparda used his own blood, along with the blood of a human priestess, in conjunction with his sword and a mystical amulet. He poured his demonic energy into his beloved sword to close the door between realms, the Temen-ni-gru, though this also robbed him of the lion's share of his abilities. As an added measure, he also imprisoned within the tower its gatekeepers, Cerberus, Agni & Rudra, Nevan, Beowulf, Geryon, and Doppelganger, and took the names of the Seven Sins in order to imprison them and set them as seals keeping the Temen-ni-gru underground. In Devil May Cry 4 it is revealed that he sealed another path to hell in Fortuna using the Yamato. Sparda's activities over the next two thousand years are shrouded in legend, though it is understood that for a time after defeating Mundus, he ruled over the humans before eventually vanishing. Sparda later appeared in the twentieth century where he met and fell in love with a human woman named Eva, who bore him twin sons.

And also, a little bonus...

It is suggested in Devil May Cry 4 that Sparda acquired the true extent of his power by embracing humanity, which would explain why the demons who attempt to augment their own power with Sparda's sword are unable to defeat the sons of Sparda.

Sparda™

Vergil'sB*tch;190491 said:
I understand it, but its all soooo confusing.
Can't Capcom just stick to one thing.

One short answer - NO!

Capcom is well-known for producing crap.

King Avallach

Deity of the Old World
^You might want to clear that up Sparda as that could be read as either amazing mental conditioning or brain-death. I think we all know which one it is though.;)

Seems DMC3 has taken the most votes up to this point. Fair enough I guess. I can't be bothered turning it into an argument.

Sparda™

King Avallach;190512 said:
^You might want to clear that up Sparda as that could be read as either amazing mental conditioning or brain-death. I think we all know which one it is though.;)

Seems DMC3 has taken the most votes up to this point. Fair enough I guess. I can't be bothered turning it into an argument.

Hah, you got me there.

As for the argument, I think DMC3 does not need an argument. Its story is quite impressive. The legend It carries, maintains the interest on high-octane levels.;)

King Avallach

Deity of the Old World
Sparda™;190524 said:
Hah, you got me there.

As for the argument, I think DMC3 does not need an argument. Its story is quite impressive. The legend It carries, maintains the interest on high-octane levels.;)

^I guess you do have a point. I just thik that DMC1's Sparda scenario makes Sparda sound a bit more impressive and definitely hypes up mission 22 by a great deal. I mean, who would you want to fight as, the near invincible, justice seeking Sparda, or the martyr Sparda. I just think martyrdom works better in films than games. Then again, I might just be odd, I don't know.:D

Sparda™

King Avallach;190549 said:
^I guess you do have a point. I just thik that DMC1's Sparda scenario makes Sparda sound a bit more impressive and definitely hypes up mission 22 by a great deal. I mean, who would you want to fight as, the near invincible, justice seeking Sparda, or the martyr Sparda. I just think martyrdom works better in films than games. Then again, I might just be odd, I don't know.:D

While It sounds more impressive, It also derives less legendary substance. In my opinion, Devil May Cry 1 sounds like It was never meant to be a franchise. It all starts and all ends in one game. The way the events are told and made, gives the impression of being a franchise of its own.

That's not positive, considering the fact It was continued as a game series. That's what Devil May Cry 3 has - continuation, suspense and who doesn't like a brotherly fight for power, a corrupt human who killed his own wife to get closer in becoming a dark-hearted demon, and his daughter a descendant of the priestess which was vital to Sparda's ritual in sealing the portal between the human domain and the Underworld - named Mary.

King Avallach

Deity of the Old World
Sparda™;190557 said:
While It sounds more impressive, It also derives less legendary substance. In my opinion, Devil May Cry 1 sounds like It was never meant to be a franchise. It all starts and all ends in one game. The way the events are told and made, gives the impression of being a franchise of its own.

That's not positive, considering the fact It was continued as a game series. That's what Devil May Cry 3 has - continuation, suspense and who doesn't like a brotherly fight for power, a corrupt human who killed his own wife to get closer in becoming a dark-hearted demon, and his daughter a descendant of the priestess which was vital to Sparda's ritual in sealing the portal between the human domain and the Underworld - named Mary.

I know what you mean, really, DMC1 should have left more room for continuation, or the series would likely be a bit less, well, forced together. It would flow better for certain. I think 95% of the attention was on the gameplay and 5% was on the story. I think it is just as legenday/ epic however, just a little less personal. DMC1: Straight out fight between good and evil, DMC3: More lines become blurred, more emotion, plot slightly more convoluted. Depends on what you're looking for in the game and of the characters I suppose.:cool:

Sparda™

Devil May Cry 1 is so straight up. Things get quite obvious, If you pay attention to details just like I do.

Devil May Cry 3 leaves you room for everything. You don't get what's going on and that's why It leaves you a WOW effect.

The first Devil May Cry had epic fights, but as I said above, was very transparent.

I believe Devil May Cry 1 should have been what's now Devil May Cry 3. That would have made the series appear in a more bright spotlight and would be less confusing for everyone.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
King Avallach;190558 said:
I know what you mean, really, DMC1 should have left more room for continuation:

Dante and Trish should have died in the explosion at the end of DMC1 instead of the cheesy "oh look a plane just fell into our laps, lets rock baby"

The only thing Dante has been good for since 1 has been 3 which was a prequel. Maybe it's just me but leaving DMC1 with Dante saying "its never too late" with Trish in his arms (knowing they are not going to get out in time) would have been a much better way to end it. Especially as Sparda sais it all seems to wrap itself up in the space of one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom