• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Facebook Acquires Oculus Rift for $2 Billion

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/03/25/facebook-to-acquire-oculus-vr-for-2-billion

Hey God, why do you hate us?

Now the Legendary John Carmack has to put up with Facebook, this is a sad day.
av6f55.jpg

Also what he said back in 2011 makes up for quite a laugh right now XD
John Carmack: Facebook offers the 'Walmart experience of gaming'

and this XD
o7mtc8.jpg

So now we're going to have a virtual reality Farmville........ yay.

Seriously though $2 billion? Does Facebook really think the Rift will be THAT good?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
You're being narrow minded. See, how odd as this news may be, the potential uses for the Oculus Rift is now broader and different than I ever imagined. A company like Facebook does normalize something like this in a way that it would attract attention beyond video games.

So while you only think of VR Farmville which will never happen, I think of it somehow being used for more educational and useful purposes which is now the very real possibility. When Facebook is a company approaching more in to a google-like stage then these are the possibilities. Getting it out of this video game only zone now is a more interesting approach in my opinion.

Imagine the Oculus Rift being used to preform test VR surgeries for surgeons in school. A realtor letting people explore potential homes via virtual reality tour. And when coming to social networking yes, it can connect people on a more face to face level. Hell, it could change the face of online schooling some how.

So yea, when it comes to video games let Sony's thing be your go to VR set I guess. Now the Oculus's potential is on a stage where more than just video game developers can take a crack at it.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
I'm just joking around, I never thought much of the Oculus Rift anyway, I'm just paying attention because John Carmack is involved, he's one of the best game developers out there.
I don't think VR is going to be the future of gaming, I personally think it's just gonna be another gimmick, but that's just me.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Imagine the Oculus Rift being used to preform test VR surgeries for surgeons in school. A realtor letting people explore potential homes via virtual reality tour. And when coming to social networking yes, it can connect people on a more face to face level. Hell, it could change the face of online schooling some how.

So yea, when it comes to video games let Sony's thing be your go to VR set I guess. Now the Oculus's potential is on a stage where more than just video game developers can take a crack at it.
Those are some very good applications for the Oculus. I especially like the home viewing one. But the technology would need to be much more advanced to preform a VR surgery.
I wouldn't mind them doing some kind of historically accurate assassin's creed to actually educate children. Not exactly like assassin's creed, but virtual tours of historical places while giving information on events and places and people of interest.
But, again, the technology would need to advance a lot for something like that to happen.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Those are some very good applications for the Oculus. I especially like the home viewing one. But the technology would need to be much more advanced to preform a VR surgery.
I wouldn't mind them doing some kind of historically accurate assassin's creed to actually educate children. Not exactly like assassin's creed, but virtual tours of historical places while giving information on events and places and people of interest.
But, again, the technology would need to advance a lot for something like that to happen.
I would love to take a virtual vacation to different time periods. That sounds awesome.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I'm just joking around, I never thought much of the Oculus Rift anyway, I'm just paying attention because John Carmack is involved, he's one of the best game developers out there.
I don't think VR is going to be the future of gaming, I personally think it's just gonna be another gimmick, but that's just me.
It can be if only it's a successful and functioning product.

The world is ever changing and I'm a futurist. What was considered science fiction even just a decade ago is now becoming reality. From VR to advanced artificial intelligence. VR doesn't just show some future of gaming, it's more evidence of us furthering our technology as a whole.

Where's the hoverboards? I want to believe Marty.

Top Bottom