• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

EVIL DEAD (2013) Review

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
tumblr_mg9pganM3X1qj5ahqo1_500.gif

So, I went to the premiere of the newest Evil Dead film. I've always been a massive Evil Dead fan. There are some of my favorite films of all time. With Raimi and Cambell on board do we have the formula for a successful remake? It's safe to say, we sure as hell do my friends. The Evil Dead remake not only pays all the right homages to the original but it also doesn't become just a carbon copy and a different yet beautiful monster all on its own. It's a great addition to the franchise.

We start of with actually a rather clever and ingenious set up to get out 5 characters to the iconic cabin in the woods. They find the flesh covered demonic book incite the enchantment and unleash an evil unlike any other. Blood, gore, and over the top horror movie experiences ensue.

The blood and gore in this movie is pulling no punches. It's exactly what you expect from an Evil Dead film. They also keep the infamous tree scene. We were cheering it on in the theater lol. Evil Dead sure as hell is a gory good time. What more could you have asked for when it came to an Evil Dead remake? Ash isn't in this one but this turns out to be not a bad move. They felt as if no one could actually embody Ash other than Bruce Cambell himself so it works and it also comes in to play with their future plans. More on that later.

We're talking about a remake of Evil Dead. The original was a straight up horror flick so the remake is just that as well. This isn't an Evil Dead 2 Dead By Dawn remake. It stays in the spirit of that original film so there won't be much laughing but more of you probably sucking in air through your teeth.

When I think of what cons this movie has it maybe just comes down to your feelings on these type of films. It was really made with the ultimate love and respect for the horror movie formula of yesterday without succumbing to the stupid trends of modern horror and the silly trends of the old horror of that time. The blood and gore is unapologetic. The story is sort of the same but does things even the original didn't bother to do and actually surpasses the original. Man, how many movies will make you say that? The effects are all practical. Very little CGI is seen here friend. That's awesome. It really has a nice balance and horror movies today should take notes. Hail to the king baby.

More remakes need to do this. With the original people still watching over their baby and giving something fresh even the older fans haven't seen is how you do a horror remake of a classic.

Rating:GROOVY

*note* stay after the credits for one badass groovy piece of fan service.

Now for the subject I was going to touch upon about the future and the reason behind the lack of Ash. Raimi and Cambell think they should push forth with a sequel to the newest Evil Dead as well as an Army of Darkness 2 closing out with one final crossover film. This idea sounds awesome and I can't wait to see more. Why are you still reading this? Go see Evil Dead!

Top Bottom