• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

ESSAY- A Response to the Tropes vs. Women in Video Games YouTube series

Meg

I wrote this essay for my school's feminist group's magazine. I'm also the editor and manager, so it wasn't hard to get published. :cool::lol:

EDIT: Please keep in mind that this article's target audience is feminists. Not gamers.

Either way, I thought you guys would like to read this.

A Response to the Tropes vs. Women in Video Games YouTube series

Feminist Frequency is a YouTube channel that specializes in videos about women in media. The latest series, Tropes vs. Women in Video Games, aims to explore each of the most common tropes female characters are put into in games. It’s a valid undertaking. However, while the series is only two parts in, there’s already plenty of problems that need to be addressed.

The first two videos discuss the damsel in distress trope. Now, there is no denying that this trope is prevalent in games, however that does not forgive its poor portrayal. The first video examines the history of the damsel in distress in games, and the second video examines more modern examples. The second video especially chooses to boggle the viewer down with example after example, out of context, rather than closely examine a few key examples. The videos also make some outlandish statements that ooze sexism against men. Notably absent, were more games that feature well written female characters. She very briefly mentions two examples, but that’s it. Now, let’s break this all down.

devil_may_cry_4___sibling_rivalry_1010.jpg

Firstly, the videos use way to many out of context examples. One game that she uses as an example of the damsel in distress trope is Devil May Cry 4. What she fails to mention is that out of four games, only the last one featured the damsel in distress as a plot point. All other games in the series have strong, independent women holding their own. Oh sure, the player has to rescue a female character at the end, but she also kids the main character’s ass at one point. Through out the series, the women in Devil May Cry help and are helped by the main character, Dante. They work as a team, and they continue to do so in Devil May Cry 4. Sure the game introduces a new character whose sole purpose is to get kidnapped, but the video’s hostess, Anita, even says later in the video that having a damsel in distress is not a bad thing so long as there is variety. Yet she uses Devil May Cry as an example of the damsel in distress by zeroing in on the one time it happened and ignored all the other women in the series. That is the definition of bias.

The video also makes the mistake of using examples that were critically and commercially slammed, i.e. Bionic Commando. Yet she neglects all of this and chooses to instead focus solely on out of context examples almost as if she just went through a list of games and grabbed all the ones that use the trope at some point, but without looking at the game’s usage or even asking herself why the trope exists.

mario-bros.jpg

Actually, she does ask herself why, and she addresses “why” in her video. She makes the ridiculous statement that this trope exists solely as a way for gamers to play out a male power fantasy. She even makes the misandry statement that the sole reason for male characters wanting revenge on losing women they love (be it a wife, daughter, or girlfriend) is because they failed to fulfill their stereotypical role in society of protecting women and now feel de-masculinized. And them seeking revenge is a way of regaining their masculinity. I’m not kidding. She comes right out and says that the only reason men want to save or avenge the women they love is not because they love them, but because of them wanting to regain their penis power.

This is blatant misandry and has no place in a feminist video. In fact, by definition this video cannot even be called “feminist” for that very reason.

One thing the video does right is state that these tropes do not exist because video game designers intentionally try to reduce women into a helpless statement. However, she then makes the ridiculous statement that men cannot help it that they are sexist and hate women. Again, I’m not kidding.

tomb2.jpeg

Thing is, video games are primarily made by and are aimed at men. The reason why you primarily see men saving or avenging women is because most games are made for a male audience. Losing a loved one is never easy, and many of the most important people in most men’s lives are women: whether that be their wife, mother, daughter, or girlfriend. A game that features a woman rescuing her little sister (Final Fantasy XIII) or a woman rescuing her best friend (the new Tomb Raider reboot) are all fine, but a man rescuing or avenging his wife or daughter is somehow sexist and degrading to women. Why?

Having the game’s premise be rescuing someone important to the main character is an easy set up and one that almost everyone can easily relate to because almost everyone, if not everyone, has someone that they truly care about and would go to great lengths to help. It is an easy way for the player to immediately connect with the character, and considering most games do not emphasis character development, but still require a player-character connection, it is essential to establish a connection right away. Opening the game with the lose of a loved one is a surefire way to establish that connection. Again, it’s way more common in games to have men save women because most gamers are men and most men have women in their lives that they would go above and beyond to help. This is not a bad thing.

Another glaring issue in these videos is that the other side is almost completely ignored. Presenting an argument without acknowledging and respecting the other side is one of the quickest ways to discredit yourself. Video-maker, Anita, only extremely briefly mentions two games that portray strong female characters before she returns to harping on about how there are so many bad portrayals of women. This is also incredibly biased.

Metroid-Samus-Aran.jpg

She doesn’t even mention the Metroid series despite it starring Samus, who is not only established early on in the franchise as being one of the most powerful and deadly forces in the galaxy, but who is one of the most iconic and best loved video game characters of all time. In fact, many gamers—mostly men—were outraged by her portrayal in the most recent Metroid title, Other M, for being much weaker and male dependent: something that contradicts her entire character. The fact that Other M was slammed both by critics and consumers for the portrayal of Samus is a perfect example of the other side to this argument. Nowhere is this mentioned in the Feminist Frequency video.

Other examples of strong, well written women in games is Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite, and all of the women from the Mass Effect series—most notably Ashley, Tali, Liara, and the protagonist, Commander Shepard herself. Let’s break this down. Ashley is one of the best soldiers in the series, Tali is a genius engineer, and Liara is a historian and archeologist and even becomes the leader of the largest information network in the galaxy. Not to mention Commander Shepard is tasked with saving the galaxy and at no point is she doubted because of her sex. (Granted, depending on player choice she could be doubted for other reasons, but that’s not the point.)

ME3_FemShep-Wallpaper.jpg

More examples are the women in the Uncharted series, Elena and Chloe, many Resident Evil characters like Ada, Helena, Sherry, and Claire (who is also one of the most loved characters in the series), and of course the games I mentioned earlier—Final Fantasy XIII and Tomb Raider. Even 2013 alone is seeing four games featuring strong women characters: the Tomb Raider reboot, Bioshock Infinite, Remember Me, and Beyond Two Souls. (The latter two haven’t been released yet.) All of these games I have mentioned portray women respectfully and realistically. All of these women are strong in different ways. Not all of them can kick ass on the battlefield, but they are still strong emotionally and, in all of these cases, each of these women’s perspectives and opinions are important and they all get their fair share of time to grow and develop. They are not objects, and they do not exist as a plot device. They are fully fleshed out characters: real people. And all of this functions as a counter argument that male game designers and gamers just want to play out a male power fantasy and see women only as objects to be owned and rescued. In fact, many of these games are acclaimed because of their female characters.

Heck, even Killzone, which prides itself on having almost all its characters be generic, space marine meatheads, still managed to create two strong female characters. Why was none of this brought up in the Tropes vs. Women in Games videos? Like I said, one of the best ways to discredit yourself is to ignore the other side. That said, at least the videos excelled at something.

Point is, things are slowly changing for the better. However, tropes are hard to get rid off, and I doubt the damsel in distress trope is going anywhere anytime soon. Female tropes in video games is an important topic of discussion. However, by focusing solely on out of context examples, ignoring the other side, and making hated comments toward men, this series of videos is off to a disgusting start, and I worry that it will get even worse.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
LOL i still don't get why there needs to be a Feminist group talking about video games.

aren't they supposed to be in for more pressing issues ?

IncarnatedDemon

Thank you. :D
I was thinking of making a video to adress Anita on Devil May Cry girls, but i guess i am not only one who are well aware.

One can even argue Kyrie was never meant to be a physically strong character and that her role in DMC story was to be the love of Nero - and that's not a wrong thing as Anita paints it to be.

I believe Kyrie is like a symbol of purity. And if that is misogyny or a bad thing then i dont know what is.
Kyrie has a angelic voice.
Kyrie walks so gently and she sees people for who they are.

Perhaps i am over exaggerating with the walking part, but i personally like Kyrie as a character. Her nature is so lovely. I bet if she was a combatant she would been the kind of one that doesnt unsheaten her sword to harm others but to protect.

The story of DMC isnt something to brag about, but i keep getting all emotional over this scene.

Oh a last thing, Kyrie may been portrayed as a damsel in distress but she's also be portrayed as someone who runs into a very dangerous situation to try to protect her sibling:
Click

IncarnatedDemon

Have you tried sending your essay to her?
I dont understand why anyone would send a video response or a article to Anita.

I mean are we all dumb? Dont we have common sense? She is obviously a radical feminist. She constantly talks about patriarchy and says the loss of a wife and daughter is considered loss of masculinity by the male characters.

+ At end of video she gets all "Every 9 seconds a woman is beat up", which is a very serious case, but i cant help but think that she said that only to make her points seem valid.
Because when you have a flawed points a way to get people to agree with you is by going off the topic (Tropes vs Woman) and talk about statistics to make you look good by standing up against something bad.

I think what she does with that is a retoric thing. A way to deceive people.

Look at how she presents the whole case of people trolling her:

And she keeps constantly talking about the positive sides of videogames, and goes "its a shame that videogames is so ogood but there are bad things in it".

Take great note of who her audience is.
Few of those women look like they have played alot of games.

Meg

No point. I wish Meg went to TedxWoman 2013 and held a presentation for women to enlighten them that Anita Sarkeesian isn't correct on all points.
Oooooh shucks. You flatter me. :blush:

It is really annoying seeing all these "feminists" just agree with everything Anita says. They don't even play games, but Anita claims to so therefore her stance on games must be valid. >_<

And TED is too expensive. :lol: Plus, I think you need to be invited to speak there. But it is my dream to be able to one day. ^_^

IncarnatedDemon

Oooooh shucks. You flatter me. :blush:

It is really annoying seeing all these "feminists" just agree with everything Anita says. They don't even play games, but Anita claims to so therefore her stance on games must be valid. >_<

And TED is too expensive. :lol: Plus, I think you need to be invited to speak there. But it is my dream to be able to one day. ^_^
I am sure you will get there. Perhaps you could start your journey with a video or article where you adress 3 of your favourite games and examine them for misogyny, sexism, etc
Including positive things like how the woman are portrayed etc.

I think that is a good start, inspecting 3 of your favourite games :) Ive seen so many good videos from people who have been furious with rage of how Anita has twisted the truth but still adressed her with a cool mindset.

and it infurioates me as a male but also as a gamer. That the two serie of games that i am especially fan of ...arent portrayed as they are. And that ****es me off.

I honestly feel like Anita is starting a sexism war of male vs female. My male instinct is kicking in to it...
I am offended by her. I mean there is nothing wrong with more female protaganists in games nor is it wrong to hope for that.
But misagony or lying about games is not the way to do that.

NEW VIDEOS GUYS WATCH EM!

^ Notice Angel is a martyr not a DiD

IncarnatedDemon

Guys and girls, here is a page that will be VERY INTERESTING read if you like reading. It gives a list of research done by different scientists etc on how video games influence us.

http://www.theesa.com/facts/violence.asp

That page should serve as a illustration of Anita Sarkeesian's twisting of the truth. Where in the second part of Damsel in Distress she talks about how violence in video games shapes "killers" but she has little going behind that.

Even look at this small info:
Ratings and parental controls help parents make appropriate entertainment choices for their families:
Just as with other types of entertainment, there is a wide variety of content available in computer and video games to suit the wide variety of individuals who play games. The industry has also voluntarily established numerous tools and policies to help parents make educated choices and ensure that retailers only sell games to those whose age is appropriate for the game in question.
  • Computer and video games are rated by the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB), whose system includes age recommendations and content descriptors. The Federal Trade Commission credited the video game industry with "outpacing" other entertainment industries in curtailing the marketing of mature-rated products to children. In addition, a June 2012 study conducted by Peter D. Hart Research Associates found:
    • 85 percent of parents with children who play video games are aware of the ESRB ratings;
    • 70 percent of parents regularly check a game’s rating before making a purchase; and
    • 88 percent of parents feel the ESRB rating system is either "very helpful" or "somewhat helpful."
  • All new video game consoles include parental controls that limit a child’s access to games based on their ESRB ratings. According to a 2012 study, 73 percent of parents believe parental controls are useful.
  • Parents impose time usage limits on video games more than any other form of entertainment:
    • 84% of parents place time limits on video game playing
    • 79% of parents place time limits on Internet usage
    • 78% of parents place time limits on television viewing
    • 72% of parents place time limits on movie viewing

Anita talks about how violence against is woman is bad and that you cant show violence against women even if it serve a purpose in the story i.e soldiers killing a woman in Prototype 1. CONTEXT: she was prolly infected.

Prototype 1 was rated M /18+

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It's a great article essay, and I think Anita is everything wrong with feminism (in the militant sense), but I still sorta have to disagree with comments of Metroid Other M's depiction of Samus making her male-dependent. The story wasn't the best, but I think people really overlook the parts of the story that explained that well enough.

Given context, Samus took orders from Adam Malkovich, her former commanding officer, in Other M because she respected him, and decided herself to work with him, and follow his commands (both her admissions during narration at the beginning of the game). Adam was one of the few people in the galaxy that she did respect, which was what made her departure from his command so disheartening, and probably what hardened her heart the way we know her. The problem is we've known her for so long as the only person amidst planets of hostiles, but in Other M she had two friends around, and was impacted emotionally by what had happened with the Baby Metroid. I can never believe that Samus suddenly became wholly dependent on Adam from a story perspective, because it was her decision to respectfully work under Adam's command.

The only time it doesn't make sense is from points where the game's "Item Authorization" mechanic just mucks it up for the sake of trying (and failing like cases below) to bridge story and gameplay.
is-that-a-laser-nail-file.jpg
Sometimes it worked, like "Hey, you don't need to activate your grapple beam, leave that place for now and investigate some other place." But...the "varia suit" was just...just the worst :/ Then there's the whole "shooting her in the back with an ice beam" thing which I think is still sorta taken way out of context. How else are you supposed to stop one of the greatest warriors in the galaxy from walking into a death trap? There's more of that to get into there, but, I won't :x

We all know Samus as this battle-hardened bounty hunter, cold-blooded and ruthless, but honestly, how much of that was self-insertion? A characteristic we the player applied to her, the silent protagonist, the same way we would and do with Link in Legend of Zelda.

ANYway, it's a really great essay, Meg. Anita Sarkeesian is one of those people where the phrase "Freedom of Speech doesn't mean you've got something worth saying."

Meg

I never played Other M, so this is interesting. :) I was speaking solely on how people reacted and their perspectives on the game. Either way, thanks for clearing that up. :)

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
The reaction was pretty heavy on the negative side for reason - it's what happens when you give a formerly silent hero a voice and personality :( People just didn't like what was written for her...by the guy who created her...

Of course, mine opinion is rather unique and of considerable difference. I don't think I've ever met anyone else who saw how I did >.<

Meg

The reaction was pretty heavy on the negative side for reason - it's what happens when you give a formerly silent hero a voice and personality :( People just didn't like what was written for her...by the guy who created her...

Of course, mine opinion is rather unique and of considerable difference. I don't think I've ever met anyone else who saw how I did >_<
I know DT likes Other M. So you've got one! :lol:

8BitHero

Scrub
If you look for bullshit, you'll find bullshit.
If you're a [insert huge insult] like Anita who's looking for sexism, then you'll be able to come up with anything by any stretch and twist it to suit your agenda.

[Me not serious v]
As in, for someone like me who is partially Indian, where is my constant British/Indian protagonist? I get Black people are always catered too, but what about me.
Here's a list of games
Time to generalise an entire industry based on around 6 games
Come to the conclusion that the entire industry is racist

Anita does the exact same.
Here's a list of games that fit the pattern
Make a statement about the entire industry on those few example
Come to the conclusion it's all sexist

Sorry Meg but you're rational thinking and well developed argument case has no place on here. Anita Sarkeesian wants to make sure you and the rest feel oppressed every time you play a game and keep you set back in the dark ages while the rest of us treat you females like humans.
Nice article but I honestly feel like you've wasted your time....and so has everyone else who responded to this [insert huge insult].

Top Bottom