• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Escapism in gaming.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Another little gem I came across in another forum that I'd like to share with you all.

So we talk about games. We talk about every little aspect of particular a game. And what does that mean...
We are the escapists.
(Yeah, my friend, our name is not only for giggles.)
We are the ones who resent reality. We are the people who are very disappointed with life as it is. We are a generation that has seen it all and is very ****ed about it. We are the frustrated males who are tired of the inevitable "get a girl who seems OK and then you die" lifestyle. We want more. We are terrified when we think that getting up, washing our asses and attending classes/jobs is all that there is there for us.

We want to save the world Conan-style. Every one of us thinks that one day they'll mean something.

BULL.

We are all going to end up as husbands to "That girl who is a pretty decent alternative for our true love that resented us". And we'll be very proud that we do our jobs properly.
Screw that.

We are addicts, if you are not an addict, do not respond.

We seek refuge from the boring, cruel world. We like to think that we're not just another brick in the wall. But seriously, what are YOU going to do to avoid being a slave-ant or a gear in the machine?

So taking this into consideration, what do you think? My fellow forum members, why do you play the games that you do? Is it to escape the mundane cycle of life? So we can think we're not another brick in the wall? So we can take on a life that isn't our own, for the sheer sake of escaping from the drudgery that is this one?

Or is it for some other reason entirely? Please, enlighten me, I do want to know.

I, personally, have mixed views, sometimes I play to escape, sometimes, I play for entertainment sake, it depends on what I'm going through, sometimes I'd want to do nothing more than to get away from everyday life, if only for a little while, other times, I just play because I can.

Bad Wolf

32 flavors and then some
I think that pretty much all hobbies are an escape to some degree. I also think that a certain level of escapism is healthy. It's when it veers into obsession that there's a problem. Moderation in all things, and such. :D

The Da3dra

Master Of War
Bad Wolf;156075 said:
I think that pretty much all hobbies are an escape to some degree. I also think that a certain level of escapism is healthy. It's when it veers into obsession that there's a problem. Moderation in all things, and such. :D

Well then I'm f*cked because I have a full blown addiction. :lol:

But more to the point.

It wasn't until a few months ago that I realized I played videogames because I enjoyed being something I'm not, doing something out of the ordinary, escaping reality, being in my own little world where sh*t goes down the way I want it to.

Gaming is like Reading a book or watching the movie. The only difference is you have the reigns and you alone decide how the story will pan out.

Top Bottom