• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Effect modding Discussions and Releases

Story

So as i promised I release the texture of some of the effects for Rebellion, ebony and ivory, the shotgun, and many random things found in the restless hours i spent in logging mode, and I will say a few words about what you might need to know when you edit them, first off, lets start with my favorite effect:

DMC-DEVILMAYCRY.EXE_0xCE6471AF.jpg

This is the base of the slash effect on rebellion, this acts as the whole of the default level 1 combos, and the base of the upgraded ones, Recoloring this one is easy, whatever color you paint it, it shows like that in-game, unlike his brother...

DMC-DEVILMAYCRY.EXE_0x265BBD65.jpg

This is the upper part of the upgraded combos, the orange part. When I was talking about effect recoloring being tricky i was referring to this guy, white/black by default, orageish in-game, this texture ignores the laws of the universe and the color wheel in particular as I found it. If you figure out parts of it, or the whole, you can make beautiful effects.. good luck with that, one of the reasons I want this thread to be a discussion.
Some tips: If you color the upper part of the texture green, the orange becomes red, if you color the whole green, 90% of the effect will be red, suppressing the other texture, if you color it red it becomes cyan-green, if you add a bit of yellow to it, it becomes cyan, adding purple.. makes it red again.
I would like to see this sucker figured out, tear it apart but not just this, there are other effect like this.

DMC-DEVILMAYCRY.EXE_0xB1D3998D.jpg

This is supposed to be the particles effect when you slash you can notice those little things that i can't really describe, like little.. explosions.
I tried recoloring it one time but it ignored it, since I don't like this effect I usually make it transparent which makes it dissapper, so I'm guessing this IS its texture tough recoloring it may be tricky as well, in a different way.

DMC-DEVILMAYCRY.EXE_0xAA1224F9.jpg

And for the final picture is the part of the ebony ivory fireing effect, what you see here is the exact thing you see in the game, recoloring is simple, tough the whole effect is made up with 3 parts

DMC-DEVILMAYCRY.EXE_0x99D11F34.jpg

The second part of the firing, can be recolored easily, and the final part about the final part:

Some textures are shared with other weapons (ebony ivory shares textures/effect with the shotgun) and even enemies or other things, this i noticed when I made overdrive's charge effect blue, the lesser demons had blue pre-attack flashes. Anyway ebony and ivory's third firing texture is the effect which you see when you slash your enemies, or the vertical part of the drive/overdrive fired cross, and maybe some enemies, I don't really like modifying these as they may look good on the gun, but not on everything else, I usually just modify the upper two.

These were just very basic things i listed, I have very little knowledge of effect modding too since I didn't really mess around enough, I just dumped the little I found in my mods, you can use these to make decent effect mods, or you can build on this and innovate, I would like to see that happen :)

Note: I listed pictures of about 4-5 textures, there are about 20-30 in the .rar file some are importaint, some are not, or I have not found their role yet.

The reason I wrote the title "Discussions and Releases" is because i would like to see this thread become a hub of effect modding knowledge and a library where you can easily find important effect textures that have not yet been found. Like the rest of the repellion (I have found about 70% of its effects, including the ones that cannot quite be modded yet)

So have fun modding, be sure to post your finds.

http://dmcmods.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Effects.rar

Top Bottom