• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dragon's Dogma First Impressions (not a review)

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Dragons-Dogma.jpg
Alrighty then. Dragon's Dogma is a action role-playing game developed by Capcom for the ps3 and 360. The game features an open world fantasy setting, in addition to hack and slash and survival horror elements.​
Its like a cross between Dark Souls, because of its difficulty in a sense that if you are not prepared for combat or you are not sure about your settings then you will die. The game features a weather system that changes from day to night over time and once night time comes and you are too far away from a save point, you might as well just kill yourself because monsters, lizard men, goblins, Cyclopes and other creepy things get very bold in the darkest of night and with only a lantern that lights roughly around 3 feet infront of you, you'll be destroyed indefinitely.​
Dragons-Dogma_2011_09-15-11_004.jpg
Its also like Skyrim for the rpg elements and for the massive world you'll be playing in and the constant chatter of NPC's. Most of the npc's have nothing really to say. And following the map pretty darn stupid. Worst map i've ever seen. Not to mention the worst leveling up screen and equipment screen. They are horribly layed out.​
Its like Devil May Cry in combat only. Especially if your a fighter. You can aquire moves like "stinger" and "hightimes" and also a "helm breaker" and they all are very fluid and basically have the same effect to enemies just like in DMC. The combat is amazing, very responsive and the leveling system works pretty well especially if you can defeat a much powerful enemy. You will be rewarded well for his defeat.​
This game has a lot of potential if you only give it time and really gear up before you venture out on a long journey because save spots are very hard to find. And when its night time, and all you have is a map that is horribly made... you need to be ready for anything.​
There's also a pawn system which lets you hire up too 3 AI controlled members to help you through your travels. To me, they are just human meat shields for now. As long as they can distract the enemy, it gives your main character the opportunity to flank from the sides and deal great damage.​
You can also download other peoples pawns from around the world to add to your party at local places. which is kinda cool (not as cool as someone actually being apart of your party) but cool non the less because after you hire an online players pawn, that pawn will gain experience and be able to return back with everything.​
Character creation is top notch, if your into that. I haven't found out how to edit your character after you've started the main game because i'd like to make some touch ups every once in a while, but i don't think its possible. But besides that, the CC is extensive. Its as extensive as wwe12 or saints row the 3rd. Just a ridiculous amount of detail to every part of the body. Basically you can make yourself if you wanted too and have it look pretty darn close to looking just like you.​
(i made Dante from dmc4 and it looks very cool)​
Although you cannot choose what you wear at first, you'll be able to collect armor and gloves and other attire as well as visit shops to purchase armor and other weapons, as well as powering up your weapon and so on. I wish you could change the color of the armor but alas... your stuck with what the game give you.​
overall... i do not have time to play the game as much as i liked too, and i've heard its around 60-70 hours to finish the main story. Not to mention all the side quest and just trying to uncover the entire map. WHich is why this is not a review, just a first impression. I think its good so far and is stunning to look at. The voice acting is ok, but its far from being bad. The story so far seems pretty cut and dry. Kill a dragon that ate your heart. And the combat is amazing, i expected nothing less from Capcom in that area.​
OH 1 more thing. the opening song is very catchy and VERY capcom!!​

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
well can save your current progress and then return to a previous check point. You just have to save and exit after every battle....well almost every battle

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
More like the theme song is an opening for a dragon's dogma anime!
I'm loving this game! I played the full game at a gameshop in two hours and i already like it.Too bad don't have much money to extend my playtime.

and wallenb that looks like a review.No seriously,it's great.

Top Bottom