• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Double/Triple/etc. Posts:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Hello. Since recent events have shown me that some members are unable to stop themselves from Double Posting, I created this guide for everyone to understand.

I am aware that the problem is mostly because of the Quotes System. For those who were familiar with other Forums (which use Vbulletin) if you pressed quote on one post, then you only quoted that certain post and in order to quote others you had to do so manually. However doing so manually using this button in the picture:

quotesr.jpg

would not allow you to include all the post's information like from which user it came etc etc. And since our forum has that wonderful system through which each time you quote someone by hitting reply:
replyg.jpg

it immediately gives out a Facebook-like notification to the user we "replied" to, making sure that our conversation would be noticed faster and all that, it makes that manual quote system a bit useless.

However Xenforo does not work like that. You can hit Reply to ALL the posts in the page of the thread you're currently viewing and ALL of them will be quoted each one below the other, in the small space under each thread page in which we use to post. It MAY seem like each new Reply takes the place of the previous one but that is not so.

Therefore you can quote the first post you want to answer to, write your response, then quote the other post you'd like to respond to, write what you want and THEN hit the "Post Reply" button.

I hope this is helpful.

In the past few days I've been merging posts non-stop, and throwing (verbal) warnings here and there but I saw NO motivation from you guys to stop from doing so, and even had to officially warn a member - even though his case is far more complicated that double-posting - so in case you forgot, let me "Quote" for you:

General Rules and Guidelines:
  • "Double-posting" is a no-no. Please wait an appropriate amount of time before replying to your own topic. There are unwritten exceptions to this rule, however.
Thank you,
- The Staff

For those who wonder, unwritten exceptions are stuff like, a thread like "What are you Listening?" having no new posts for about 5 days, and having the same member who posted last, post again. However, if your double posts have like 10 Minutes time difference between them it's a violation of the rule.

In general this isn't the super special important rule that will get you immediately banned or something, but after having merged dunno how many posts, then left some un-merged ON PURPOSE in order to give you the hint you should stop this, and saw like NO change at all, I made this thread.

Seriously, from tomorrow each time I see a new double-post I'll throw warnings here and there.

Thank you for reading this!

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Yup, I'm going to add some stuff to help members regarding that. Also, thanks for posting here before me Angel, because otherwise I'd have actually double-posted myself. And seeing as I rant here and there about it, my doing so would kinda deafeat the purpose XD

Ok guys and girls, what happens now that you can't Edit. I'll try to make it in a Q/A corner to make it easy to understand.

Q: I can no longer Edit my post. Therefore if I want to add something, can I actually double-post?

A: Nope. You can't.
Unless you exceeded the letters limit or something like that.

If you want to add something then you'll either have to wait for someone to post after your last post in the thread and then post the extra ideas/opinions you had in mind.
I don't care if you think you have to post it now. If it's so important write it on a text and copy/paste it after someone else posted. In extreme cases you can sent me a message and have me merge the posts - however I'm not the merging machine and you shouldn't rely on that much. Just as Angel said: Think before you actually press "Post Reply".

Q: What happens when some hours passed and no one posted yet. Can I double-post then?
A: No you can't. Wait until a day or two passed and then it won't be a problem. Don't make a habit of it though.

Q: While I was writing my post, someone else posted something almost simultaneously with me. I want to answer to him/her too. Can I double post then?
A: Nope. If you really HAVE to. Sent him/her a message about it. Won't hurt.

Q: I posted something but then I saw another post to which I wanted to reply, can I double-post for that?
A: NO. I see that everywhere. Check the thread carefully before you post and make sure you include all your quotes and replies to them in your initial post. If you don't know how to add multiple quotes to one post, then read my first post in this thread.

Might update it more if I think of more questions regarding double-posting.

Just remember guys three thingies.

1) Double-posting is still against the rules. The rules that you supposedly read and accepted before signing to this forum. For every three times that I'll have to merge posts without a valid reason and after two verbal warnings expect an official one coming your way.

2) Just because you can't edit, it's no excuse to actually do it.

3) And most important of them all, I'll write it again. "Think before you post". This is the most important advice ever since it applies to every rule. ;)

Hope I made everything clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom