• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Does japanese game don't do well in the west now?

ZeroLove

It would explain what Capcom is doing with Devil May Cry. Sounds quite plausible. The western world's game industries have really made a big breakthrough these past few years, making great games and are now slowly taking over the market, at least in the western part.

It makes sense.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Square enix is so far the only company that their games is not influenced by the west(Correct me i'm wrong)

ZeroLove

Square enix is so far the only company that their games is not influenced by the west(Correct me i'm wrong)

Their recent games haven't really been very popular and haven't sold much, so they have indeed been influenced. The only game that is worth mentioning is Deus Ex which was a smash hit.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
http://www.ninjatheory.com/forums/s...-2012-Time-running-out-for-Japan-says-Inafune

http://www.oxm.co.uk/39117/sega-japanese-games-shouldnt-pretend-theyre-western/

As gamers,i'm sure you guys know the golden age of gaming where japanese games dominate the gaming industry.But now i've heard that japanese games don't do well in the west now.

Since you guys are mostly from the west i would like to your thoughts about this.

From what have I played in recent Japanese games, each of the Japanese games have their own interesting concept, but they failed to implement it or execute it in their final game successfully. The factors that prevented Japanese games from being successful in other parts of the world are:

1. Unclear game design.

Good examples are Final Fantasy XIII and Asura's Wrath. Final Fantasy XIII fails to have high critical reception due to it's extremely linear nature progression, which is quite uncommon for RPG games. As for Asura's Wrath, it's game design is interesting,but poorly balanced due to abundance of cutscenes, QTEs and lack of actual fighting levels.

2. The repetitive nature of each game for a series, example: Yakuza series.

Many Japanese games have generic gameplay nature that is recycled in every installment of a game series. Example, Yakuza series. Each Yakuza game have about 80% similarity in gameplay system, except for it's spinoffs. To be fair, Western games are not devoid of this matter, but Western developers have more or less innovate the gameplay for each new game installment, whereas Japanese developers do not do much in innovating the gameplay itself.

3. Lack of marketing

Many Japanese games that have been released fail to sell a lot after it's release due to lack of proper marketing. Shadows of the Damned is the best example. Despite the game's development was directed by popular game developers such as Shinji Mikami, Suda51, and Akira Yamaoka, the sales of the game is fairly poor since virtually not many people are aware of this game's release.

4. Western target audience

Many recent Japanese games are targeted towards to Western audience, such as Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII-2, to garner more new fans to the series with more accessible gameplay. Sadly, I think this backfires, as not many gamers/critics like both games, and any other Japanese games that are catered toward Western audience.

Examples of successful Japanese games that I have played and known of are Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bayonetta, Vanquish, and Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. Dark Souls and Demon's Souls may be difficult, punishing, and hard, but the game design for both games is entirely original, addicting, and unique. Bayonetta is a very similar game to Devil May Cry games, but with it's own unique version of gameplay that makes DMC4 inferior in gameplay design.

Vanquish is a very high-speed action third person shooter game that is not bound to realism, and has many features that makes the game to be virtually awesome, such as the Boost mechanism. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots took everything good from previous MGS games and implement it to the final game, with it's own original additions. The game may have too many cutscenes, but most of the time, players would play the game to follow the story of MGS universe.

It is hard to say whether Japanese developers can continue to make more successful games like in the past, since they are bounded by lack of innovation and playing safe by recycling the gameplay design for each game. Unless they find a way to break that trend, I suspect that Japanese games will continue to fail in terms of sales and reception when compared with Western games.

Reactions: Meg

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I feel that the problem he speaks of is universal as both sides of the earth have to deal with attracting a global audience as opposed to an insular national audience.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Also,
inafune needs to stop bashing japan games & HELP with the problems that he sees. Complaining & not taking action makes him just as responsible as those he blames.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Funny thing is, that megaman legends 3 got canned because a lot of gamers weren't contributing to this online group that was devoted to megaman.

Which is flawed thinking as not every fan post on a forum nor knew this site even existed.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I would say that's probably just the current hearsay, that becomes self-fulfilling because people start to believe it. I know quite a few non-Japanese people who have been desperate to play Catherine for example, dying to play something 'different' from the samey-ness we also get over here in the West - Western developers are just as prone to making tons of sequels of something successful and trying to cut corners with them (Call of Duty for example, will go on as long as people keep buying it, like Guitar Hero did, and the current trend is to release 3/4 of a game or 1/2 of a game compared to what we used to get, with the promise of DLC instead - which you have to pay for of course). Developers over here are just as guilty of milking franchises and trying to get more money for less product. If not more so.

What bothers me is that 'success' is now measured against the supremely successful games like CoD, so in that sense yes, Japanese games can't compare to that, but why *should* everything be compared to the biggest moneymakers? It's killing creativity, in the same way actually good TV shows can still get axed at the first sniff of a drop in ratings. Developers should accept that some games *are* going to be niche, and will never make million in their first week of sale, but does that mean they should not bother? Of course they should bother, it's art, and entertainment and creating. I appreciate the business aspect of it, and I appreciate that if a game happens to be just so ridiculous nobody would ever buy or play it, then don't make it for the buying market; but seeing the convergence in our games because everyone's trying to appeal to the successful FPS model or WOW model etc. etc., and won't risk thinking outside the box, just makes me very unhappy. Variety is the spice of life!

Teimurazor

Peregrine Falcon
I prefer the Japanese games all the way. They always have some unique features, and Japanese developers sometimes go in direction others won't.
Shadow of The Colossus, MGS series, DMC 3, Street Fighter , Vanquish, Ninja Gaiden, that's the games that made my gaming experience so awesome and memorable.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Their recent games haven't really been very popular and haven't sold much, so they have indeed been influenced. The only game that is worth mentioning is Deus Ex which was a smash hit.

I know this is old, but what about Kingdom hearts?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
As you said, that's old. I was talking about recent times, because that's what I thought we were talking about.

Oh. Well I think it more so depends on target audiance like most of everyone here said. But yes, Japanese games aren't getting as popular as they use too. Like Sengoku Basara, or FFXIII-2.:(

Xeroxis

Space Detective
Premium
In a world where new original games are becoming uncommon, we need something NEW!
come on capcom! Bring infuane back! he was your biggest developer!
If Miyamoto left Nintendo, they'd be finished!

Top Bottom