• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Does Dante trust Vergil?

Do you think Dante should trust Vergil and his order?

• Yes, they are brothers after all

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • No, there's too much suspicion

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
So what are your thoughts on how Dante feels about Vergil and his plans against the demons?

Personally, I think Dante is still on edge with Vergil and here's why;

When Vergil first introduced himself to Dante, Dante was a bit suprised about the fact that he had a brother to begin with. To me when Vergil said he was looking for Dante for a long time, I almost believed it. But then Vergil explained why he needed Dante in the first place; to help defeat the demons. Dante obviously knew something was up once Vergil said that and knew he was just gonna be used. Not only that, but for there to be an organization that wants the demons dead just as Dante does seems too coencidental for Dante. And then there was what Vergil said next;

"What else were you planning on doing with your life?"

It was at that moment that Dante was officially on edge with trusting Vergil because of two reasons; The first is getting Dante to really think about his life and all that's happened. He's been fighting demons for years and was probably getting sick of it by now, so that was an easy way to get him to join, as if it was all planned out to Vergil's advantage. And the second reason was the fact that Vergil had convinced Dante so easily to join because Dante really had nothing going on in his life. It set something off in his head that made him think, "If Vergil can convience me to join him, who knows what else he could make me do, or even others...all for his plans." So Dante kept his eye on him and decided to test his trust in Vergil.

Part of this was seeing how he reacted to Kat being left behind. Vergil was willing to abandon Kat to continue on with his plans, which questioned; was he really doing all this for the humans or something more? So Dante decides to save her because he really does care for her as a friend, and also to see how vergil would react. Judging by Vergil's reluctancy, I'd say Dante was right for suspicion. The way Vergil agrees strikes Dante as something to watch out for, and you can see Dante slowly not trusting him anymore from the stare he gives Vergil after Vergil agrees to save Kat.

Finally they're at the final battle and this is where I think Dante actually believes Vergil's words of protecting each other. It's this moment where he finally puts his trust in Vergil but still has doubts about it as they go on. Thus the reason he says "We are brothers...after all." It kind of says "Okay I trust you...but just remember why I trust you."

All in all: You can call this Dante a lot of things, but blind isn't one of them. He knows something's wrong, and he knows Vergil hasn't told him everything he needs to hear about his plans, and so he must continue on with this order until he gets to the bottom of all this.

Anyway that's how I see it.^_^

Dante47

I think Vergil trusts Dante, I think Vergil thinks that Dante will always be with him and stand by him with every decision.

I think that's where they start fighting. I still think DmC will be Dante's journey of self discovery and finding out who he is as a person. Vergil will eventually do that goes against Dante's morals, and that's when they split.

Agility

"Known"
Well you have to think of it this way.

Vergil was raised rich.

Dante was raised poor.

Being poor keeps you humble.

Whilst money can change you. Make you look down on others. Vergil is treating Dante like "Hey, since you're poor with no signs of potential, join my establishment."

Dante's like "I'm not an idiot. I know what powerful people like you are about. Brother or not."

So no, Dante does not trust Vergil. If anything, I think he's more powerful than Vergil. Seeing as Vergil said "We have a new weapon and he's coming for you." Vergil has to be someone of great importance in Limbo city, why else would he hide his face from the public? Simply put, Dante' reputation may have bleached Vergil's and he may be trying to set things straight. "We are not the same."

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I think it's more like they have different outlooks on life. It was mentioned in the recent interview Vergil knew of Dante long before he made contact with him. If it had been the other way around where Dante learnt of Vergil's whereabouts instead, he may very well have gone straight to him rather than wait around for a more convenient time.That enough shows Vergil is more interested in his goals than reuniting with his lost brother.

The question you have to ask is why does Vergil wants to get rid of the demons so badly? Whatever his goal is it can't be pleasant (the answer may already lye in DMC3 if you think about it). If he's willing to sacrifice a few people like Kat to reach that goal, what does that make Dante to him? A brother or a pawn? If it came to choosing between his brother and his master plan, sure Vergil may on some level care for Dante, but I think he might very well see him as expendable if Dante got in his way. Though I'm sure it would only be a last resort if he couldn't convince Dante with words.

Going back to Dante, it's established he can't remember his family. He'd probably be glad seeing Vergil, but at the time same annoyed that it'd taken so long to him to make contact and only when he just so happened to be in need of his aid. It's likely too as the game goes on Dante could start having doubts on Vergil along with disagreements; that when it finally gets to the point in the game where Vergil says 'we must put our lives in each other's hands, without hesitant' Dante could be devided on what to do. You can by Dante's face in that scene he's not all that sure (and you have to put into account we don't know what's happened up to that point). So by then Dante may very well be unsure of Vergil and what his motives are, yet at the same time it's his brother. Dante's not had family, so to finally get it back and then have the chance of losing it again he would be conflicted by that; between wanting to stay loyal to his brother and doing the right thing.

So, yes. I think Dante will eventually begin to distrust Vergil and that it could inevitably cause them to turn on each other.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Recall the 'We are brothers' bit at the end of the Vergil Gamescon Video... Dante did sound a little suspicious.
A guy appears after years saying that "Hey, we're bros. Let's work together" I'd be surprised if he wasn't suspicious.
But, Part of me thinks that Dante may be a little Naive too.

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
well seeing as DMC Dante trusted DMC Vergil when fighting Arkham im gonna say yes.
i mean dante isnt a paranoid nor suspicious person from what we see. he wears his heart on his sleeve and lets the world know EXACTLY how he feels. here new dante has met his lost brother. the only (ahem) family he has. of COURSE he trusts him. he trusts him with HIS LIFE. hes not an idiot. if he thinks Vergil is gonna threaten him then he'll act. but he aint the kind of guy to think...."hmm somethings awfully suspicous here" hes the guy who says "F*uck it lets go"

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer
I agree with most of you guys here, there's something fishy about Vergil! But this is why I like him, he is as mysterious as a Ninja!!

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
well seeing as DMC Dante trusted DMC Vergil when fighting Arkham im gonna say yes.
i mean dante isnt a paranoid nor suspicious person from what we see. he wears his heart on his sleeve and lets the world know EXACTLY how he feels. here new dante has met his lost brother. the only (ahem) family he has. of COURSE he trusts him. he trusts him with HIS LIFE. hes not an idiot. if he thinks Vergil is gonna threaten him then he'll act. but he aint the kind of guy to think...."hmm somethings awfully suspicous here" hes the guy who says "F*uck it lets go"

But even for a guy that says "F*ck it, let's go", even they know when somethings not right with what they're doing or who they're joining without knowing full details. It's kind of a natural instinct to not put your complete trust in someone upon meeting them for the first time.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Guess he's trying to. He doesn't know his family much, and by going through Vergil, he'll learn.

scionicspectre

Considering the fact that even normal family members who have known each other their whole lives can be manipulative and aggressive toward each other, I think anything could happen. Just the same, family always comes back in the end, despite differences.

I think it will take a lot more to build their bond as they either don't know or don't remember each other (Dante and Vergil). Their brotherly reunion could easily be cut short by a difference of opinion, Vergil's ambition, Dante's realization of the nature of his duty to mankind, etc. I think it could be even more climactic than DMC 3's 'cold shoulder' approach to their conflict.

Of course, I hope they find some way to reconcile their differences and stay together, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do that (not a fun story mechanic when everything goes perfectly). Besides, they've already established a wealth of hints about an impasse, and in the press interviews they use some heavy language to imply Dante shouldn't trust Vergil. As if artwork of a legion of faceless people behind Vergil pulling a bloody glove off of his hand weren't enough...

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
I wouldn't trust Vergil

I will instead wait for the not so epic plot twist, but very epic reference when Vergil spikes his hair back and says "Might controls everything, kills Mundus, takes his power, and then turns around and lunges his sword at Dante

EllDawn

I'd say Dante is more torn between wanting to trust Vergil because they're brothers, and distrust because he's obviously hiding something. After Dante's past, trust would not come easy.

As to whether he should or not, he probably shouldn't trust anyone that hasn't proven they're worth that trust.

Domenic93

it's probably going to be a reference to the tea party because big corperations give money to they and they are trying to de-regulate everything which would mean big buisness would be able to do anything it wanted without reprocussion. or it's going to be a reference to the lulz-sec leader who betrayed his entire organization to the feds

Agility

"Known"
Recall the 'We are brothers' bit at the end of the Vergil Gamescon Video... Dante did sound a little suspicious.
A guy appears after years saying that "Hey, we're bros. Let's work together" I'd be surprised if he wasn't suspicious.
But, Part of me thinks that Dante may be a little Naive too.

Or wanting for a normal life.

Imagine that, no one you have no one. Then BAM found someone of the same bloodline and he/she looks just like you. Instant feeling of " I have something to lose now."

I hope when you meet Vergil you get an trophy that says "Something to lose."

Top Bottom