• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC1, DMC2, and "H&S" and "Supernatural" RE4

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Last edited:

Goldsickle

Some people love to think about an alternate reality where REmake isn't GameCube exclusive back in 2002 but I'm more interested in an alternate reality where Shinji fails to convince Kamiya to not release his "Stylish RE4".

What would RE5 & RE6 be like if Kamiya's RE4 became the final version?

Will it be standard to have super-powered protagonists (a la Wesker) as the main characters?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Will it be standard to have super-powered protagonists (a la Wesker) as the main characters?
That was the question I had meant to ask, but I couldn't find the right words for.

I'd say that, yes, it most likely would've been. And we all would be playing, "Action Horror Beat Em UP 5" way before moving on to something like, "Call of Evil 6."

Goldsickle

We can never truly predict what the development team will think of, come up with or finally decide on.

After DMC, the next plan for RE4 was to give it a more supernatural feel.
According to Yasuhisa Kawamura, the reason the plan failed is due to the GameCube's disk limitation.
The plan was to have unscripted hallucinations that can happen anywhere, anytime, which requires the game to have twice the amount of map data (real world and nightmare world) and the GameCube's disk isn't up to the task.

What if it was developed for the PS2 or another platform where there's enough disk space to carry out their plans?
What would RE's future be like if supernatural RE4 became successful?

RE's development history is truly random.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
What if it was developed for the PS2 or another platform where there's enough disk space to carry out their plans?
What would RE's future be like if supernatural RE4 became successful?

RE's development history is truly random.
I'd forgotten to ask this question as well, seeing as how there were too many aspects to consider for that one breaking point in the series.

I've edited the Topic Title and Original Post accordingly.

Action RE4 and Supernatural RE4. Both good ideas that should've been implemented instead of veering off into Insanity Central.

Here's hoping RE7 will go supernatual or beat em up instead of CoD like the sixth entry.

It might not revitalize the quality of the series entirely, but it'll be a good restarting point for those that despite reboots too much to actually ignore already existing canon.

Goldsickle

I actually liked RE6 =w=

Everything I wished for after playing RE5 was realized in RE6, as though Capcom read my mind.
Things I didn't wish for but I wound up liking, such as improved stealth and counter attacks further pleased me.

My problems with the game is how the map isn't as large or expansive like in RE4 & RE5.
There are some decent maps, such as the Eastern Europe intersection and the Chinese mansion but most of the time, it's just narrow corridors.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Ok, so you liked it. However, I've heard that a lot of people didn't. How to improve upon those flaws, while giving us better sword mechanics?

Before you say, "There's no way to implement a sword mechanic," think of what happened with Prototype. It can come out of Jake's arm because his virus evolved to a point where he could do so.

Yes, it's an exceedingly stupid explanation, but we're trying to expand the series, not duplicate what came beforehand.

Besides, the RE series isn't exactly known for it's award-winning writing. It's an entertaining story, sure, but nothing more.

Supernatual, Scientific, and Melee aspects. How can they successfully implement all of this into RE 7 or 8?

Goldsickle

Before you say, "There's no way to implement a sword mechanic," think of what happened with Prototype.
My response would be that I have no idea what Kamiya had planned for the protagonist.
Maybe the dual gun-wielding is guaranteed but I dunno much about melee.

There's also the "FPS RE1" to talk about (I don't think it's necessary to edit the thread title...).

When RE1 was being developed, one of the earliest build is for it to be an FPS game with co-op.
The idea was canceled when Mikami thought it would be better for the player to be on-camera (3rd person).
Another reason was at the time, the co-op technology wasn't satisfactory (PlayStation Link cable).

RE4 early builds aside, I sometimes also wondered what would happen if the FPS RE1 was finalized instead of the RE1 we have today.

Like I said, RE development history is random.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Wasn't there a first-person RE on the PS2 way back in the day? And wasn't it horrible?

Let's consider a first-person remake of RE1 because they've already done it 15 times already.

Would it still be sufficiently scary? Probably. Would it work? Yeah, I think it would.

Ocarina of Time was also briefly considered to be a first-person game, as well. But that's another story.

So, other than agreeing that an FPS RE would (if done right) get the job done, what else is there to look at about the series? Is there even anything else to look at?

Goldsickle

Wasn't there a first-person RE on the PS2 way back in the day? And wasn't it horrible?
Dead Aim was actually quite decent.
Seeing how RE4 was fun with motion-controller support on the Wii, I think the Gun Survivor series could be expanded upon.

The team actually had problems with RE1 back in the mid-90's, since it was one of their first 3D games.
At the time, they had been focusing mostly on 2D games for arcades and the SNES.

Top Bottom