• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Da3dra

Master Of War
Is the name of the city dante's shop located in ever mentioned?

What about where he lived when his mother was killed?

Please comment.

Sparda™

Never heard the name of such cities.

The only mentioned locations are...

Dumary Island
Mallet Island
Island City of Fortuna

Which we all know...

Black Angel

Semper Fidelis
We know that Dante is an American mercenary (says so in the DMC1 game manual)

We just don't know where in America he lives.

SaaR

Luce & Ombra
Looking at Devil may Cry 3, I think it is probably somewhere inland of the west coast with the post colonial architecture. Lastly, the middle of the U.S.A. is quite possibly the only place a giant demon tower could spring up and wouldn't be mentioned on the news.

(Although it is mentioned that Dante is an American mercenary, I think that all the locations are fictional and this post was just attempting to throw logic at it. Devil May Cry(the shop) is probably in a nonexistent town used only to serve the plots purpose)

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
popular real world places for where the Shop is usually include New York, Detroit, Chicago, Los Angeles, and on occasion Dallas. My usual bets are Detroit or LA...though one also needs to recall that Dante moved around a bit before settling into the shop. IN fact, the DMC1 and 4 show might not even be the same one as in 3

SaaR

Luce & Ombra
I never thought that the shop's location could have changed. :$ Detroit or L.A. huh? Why there?(just wondering)

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Older areas of Detroit, form my research, have a lot of those seedier looking areas and slums that the shop looks like its in. Mind you, so does Dallas, which is actually where the first Robocop was filmed to stand in for "Old Detroit". Los Angeles...that one is easy. LA really could be believed to become that much of a warzone at some point, especially the south central part, and a LOT of buildings in LA, contrary to outside belief are pretty low rise. I lived in the Southern Cali area for 17 years, 11 of which were spent a half and hour drive from the outskirts of Altadena, which is the start of South Central LA.

Though my main preference for Dante getting started in Detroit actually stems from a closer proximity to Chicago, which is famous for "Chicago-style Pizza".

As to the shop changing locations over time, this is based on a few factors. One, the external area around the shop in dmc3 difference that seen in DMC1, as does the actual internal lay out. The shop in dmc1 was very low rise, and only had one floor in the office room. in fact, DMC4's office looks to have either gotten a renovation, or could be a new building as well. the second reason is that the first novel does mention Dante moving towns, and I think the first manual might have mentioned something on that as well, I'd have to check. Come to think of it, the entire building in DCM3 was totaled, so it's possible that the shop in the epilogue was not the same building as that in the start of the game.

Sparda™

From the Anime, by just watching Dante in his car and in the background you can tell It is a Mediterranean coastline.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Sparda™;153279 said:
From the Anime, by just watching Dante in his car and in the background you can tell It is a Mediterranean coastline.

I'd already noted that one at one point, but the manual of DMC1 states outright that Dante lives in America, NOT Europe. Many of us pointed this out, yet you keep trying to insist that Dante lives in Europe, which he does not, and Capcom has said this many times. The only reason I can see for you to keep insisting on this is because you yourself live in the European region. Dante is an American, he lives in America, not Europe. The design stylistics of Madhouse are not proof for you to say "Dante lives somewhere in Europe." The DMC series was tailored in specific aim for an American audience, both Capcom AND Studio Madhouse said this many times.

Oh, and for the record, it was asked where the anime series takes place at Nan Desu Kan 2007 when both the animation director and series director were present as guests. "An unspecified part of the United States" as the answer is a pretty big hint of where it all takes place.

Unless you're going to then insist that the background info in the manual for DMC1 is no longer canon as well, which I would find interestingly convenient for you.

And you know what? Just to be a smartass, I have a new set of locations to place DMC as occurring in. Toronto, Vancouver...why Canada? Well, it's still part of the North American continent, and Canadians are by geographical definition Americans too.

There, not all my possible setting spots are in the United States. That should make some people happy.
*evil grin as he gets that rant off his chest*

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Dark Prince;152338 said:
We know that Dante is an American mercenary (says so in the DMC1 game manual)

We just don't know where in America he lives.

Exactly. And for all we know, it could just be a random place in America that Capcom made up themselves; that joins onto America (More land. Another state, something like that. They do the same in other such games.)

So, there is no sure and definite answer; just our own thoughts. That doesn't mean I'm saying for you lot to stop guessing, no; carry on ^_^

Kyo

medicated insanity
Sparda™;153279 said:
i live in the u.s.a
and i use to ride around alot with my cousin each summer, he was a truck driver and hey, it wasn't my thing, but i needed something to do.
personly those car's, those road's that coastline, i doubt that's amercia.

i thought it looked kinda like italy, or greece to me.

Black Angel

Semper Fidelis
^Really? Cause I have driven frum california to New york and a few of the roads do look like that.

Not that I want to spite you Sparda, but there are regions of the united states that have the "European look" cause most of us are frum Europe:lol:

There are allot of Greek and Victorian era buildings right here in Norwich.

Where I grew up (Sunny Hawaii^_^) the place has allot of shinto/Buddha shrines, so the place looks Japanese.

Sparda™

If Capcom really wanted to make Dante look like he lives in America, has failed to do so.

All the cities and islands - Anime, DMC1, DMC2, DMC3 an DMC4, look nothing like America.

Black Angel

Semper Fidelis
^There isn't a flat out "American" look.

There are ALLOT of different cultures here, and a few places (already said this) do look European.

Dante has an American accent.

He drives on the left side of his car.

And eats American pizza:lol:

The islands he visits could very well be European, but the man himself grew up American.

Sparda™

A flat out American look exists - with typical slum-looking cities, the typical bars and all that.

It's a total different thing saying Dante was made to look American, and It's another thing the place he lives.

Black Angel

Semper Fidelis
^No there isn't. All of America isn't like that. Saying that most America has one typical look is like a slap to the face for all the different cultures that have made many different citys look distinctive.

Like I said, it depends where in America you live. There are European bars and what not.

Have you ever been here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom