• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC Exists Because Shinji Told Kamiya He Cand Do Whatever He Wants.

Goldsickle

After reading a recent interview about one of Resident Evil's writer, said writer explained about how DMC came to be.

Shinji Mikami told Hideki Kamiya that he can do whatever he wants for RE4.

And Kamiya did just that.

Even back then during the development of RE2, Kamiya was never a fan of horror movies and had to watch a bunch of recommended horror films from Mikami as preparation to develop RE2.
I don't know if it started much earlier but when interviewed for DMC, Kamiya stated that he doesn't like the idea of puzzles slowing the players down (probably explains why the puzzles of RE2 are lacking or very simple).

After being given the green light to do "whatever he wants", Kamiya decides to focus more on "style", rather than horror nor puzzle-based exploration.

Shinji Mikami was described as "angered" by what Kamiya did.

There was another interview (I forgot the link), which describes how Shinji Mikami took months to talk Kamiya out of releasing his game as the official RE4, implying that Kamiya is insistent on releasing it and that Shinji doesn't have the authority to order him around.
Some people like to imagine an alternate reality where REmake wasn't exclusive to the GameCube back in 2002 but I am more interested in an alternate reality where Mikami's negotiation with Kamiya failed and his "Stylish" RE4 is released as an official RE game.

How would RE5 & RE6 be like?

So yeah, the reason we have DMC was because Shinji said to Kamiya that he can do anything he wants.

The linked interview also shed some intricate detail on why the "Supernatural" build of RE4 was scrapped.

Top Bottom