• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Digimon (Digital Monsters)

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
For the rival to the Pokémon anime, there was Digimon. A real gem from my childhood that slipped under the radar for a while. Now it's had a resurgence in recent years. This thread is to discuss anything from the frachise, whether it be the anime, video games, V-Pets or even the TCG.

Naturally I got started with the original anime series "Adventure" though I didn't get hooked until the second season. My favourite season so far is "Xros Wars". I've watched most seasons except for Frontier and Tri, the former not airing in my country and the latter not being legally available for me to watch on Crunchyroll.

As for video games, I've played several from the "Digimon World" series as well as "Digimon: Cyber Sleuth" which I'm currently playing and is fantastic. I can't wait for "Digimon: Next Order" to be localised.

So what about you guys?

Last edited:

NessPSI

Tony Redgraaaave!
All i really watched was Tamers(loved it) and Savers. Basically i started with Adventure, where it was alright... not really that good. Then i found Tamers and immediately fell in love with it! After finishing that i checked out the other seasons. I quickly found out that it wasn't Digimon i that found interesting, but the interesting characters and story from season 3. I wish i could back into it as i try to every now and again, but unless it's Tamers i just can't find any reason to care. I did try to follow Xros Wars when it first aired but dropped it at episode 6. I think im just a Pokemon kid at heart tbh.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Interesting, I must say that I wasn't a huge fan of Tamer, one of the weaker ones IMO.

If we're counting movies then "Our War Games" is also one of my favourites, much better than Summer Wars.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Awesome thread idea.

Well Digimon was my favorite show as a kid, which wasn't easy since 95% of my friends were Pokemon fans.

I just always thought the monsters were cooler.

So I watched the show back when it was originally dubbed, I've seen Adventure, Adventure 02, Tamers, and Frontier.

Have not seen Data Squad or Fusion

I would say Adventure is my favorite, with Frontier as my least favorite. Then it's a tie between 02 and Tamers in-between.
I liked the darker tone of Tamers, and it introduced some of my favorite Digimon, but I like how 02 actually was a continuation of original show, and the original cast did appear from time to time.

I've also seen all the movies for the first 4 shows, with Our War Game, being my favorite, introducing my all time favorite Digimon, Omnimon (or Omegamon in the original Japanese dub, but I use Omnimon, cause it's what I'm use to calling him)
I've seen the first movie for Tri, and it was awesome, can't wait for more.

I've also played Cyber Sleuth, which is a pretty solid game, my only complaint is no English option, is a bit annoying when I have to read not listen, but it's just a gripe.

I would say out of all the human characters, my favorites are
Tai, Matt, TK, Kari, and Ken (Adventure/02) Rika and Henry (Tamers), and Koji (Frontier)

That being said, the only character I have any remote dislike for is Davis, he just seemed a bit....too stupid.

My 5 favorite Digimon are
  1. Omnimon
  2. Gallantmon
  3. BlackWarGreymon
  4. MagnaAngemon
  5. Lobomon

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
@AgentRedgrave Indeed, it always annoyed me when my classmates said that Digimon was a rip off of Pokémon. They're nothing alike.

The no dub in Cyber Sleuth didn't bother me since I can speak Japanese, though I now instinctively say Omegamon after hearing it so much.

I didn't mind Davis so much, he was a lot better once he let go of his crush on Kari and focused more on being an actual hero.

As for my favourite Digimon, I'm torn between Stingmon and ExVeemon.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
@AgentRedgrave Indeed, it always annoyed me when my classmates said that Digimon was a rip off of Pokémon. They're nothing alike.

The no dub in Cyber Sleuth didn't bother me since I can speak Japanese, though I now instinctively say Omegamon after hearing it so much.

I didn't mind Davis so much, he was a lot better once he let go of his crush on Kari and focused more on being an actual hero.

As for my favourite Digimon, I'm torn between Stingmon and ExVeemon.
Paildramon ?

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Paildramon ?
Truly the best of both worlds. I loved that they brought back DNA Digivolution for 02 after how cool it was in Our War Game.

Also, most of the Royal Knights are among my favourites as well. Even when they're villainous, they're just so cool.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I've watched from Adventure towards Data Squad and I've played a bit of Digimon World when I was in middle school. I'm curious about TRI but havent been able to get into Xros Wars . For me, I've outgrown Digimon and would rather not be a grouchy old guy complaining about what the kids like.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I don't think you're ever too old to enjoy the things you like. If you didn't like Xros Wars then it just wasn't your thing, each season is meant to be different from the last. If you enjoyed Adventure then I'd definitely recommend giving "Tri" a chance.

But that's just my two cents.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Blackquill

I didnt mean to say you or anyone who still likes digimon is being childish because i rewatched Tamers when I was 20 and fell in love with it all over again.

To me I thought of myself as running the risk of becoming one of those fans who complains about it being better back in the day or only watching something out of spite. So I rather let it go and find something else that is (whch i did for Power Rangers/Pokemon etc)

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Digital Monsters? There's an app for that.

latest

Introducing "Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters"! A brand new anime to air this year. It will also have a toyline and a companion 3DS game. Here's the synopsis for the anime...

"Everyone in the world uses smartphone apps, and for every app that exists, there's an intelligent creature known as an "Applimonster", or "Appmon" for short. AI lifeforms with the ability to think and act, they live in the space between the real world and digital space, helping people and system continue to interface and function. However, a mysterious AI called "Leviathan" takes control of the Appmon and begins hacking the world's systems, and begins to attempt to control the human world by way of the internet. In order to combat Leviathan, a young boy named Haru Shinkai is given a device called the Appli Drive, which he uses to create a search-type Appmon named Gatchmon. Can Haru determine Leviathan's true goal, and unlock the secrets behind the world of the Applimonsters?"

And here's a trailer for the anime and game...

So, what are everyone's thoughts?

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
My main problem with it, aside from the fact it has nothing to do with Digimon...is that it smacks of trying to follow the format of shows like Pokémon and Youkai Watch.

One of the elements from the trailer is practically "Gotta Catch 'em All".

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
We finally have a good look at the boxart for the upcoming "Digimon Universe" game.

Game_applimonsters_3ds.jpg

The boy and girl wearing goggles at the front are the protagonists, like Pokémon you can be either male or female. To the right is a green haired boy with goggles, that's Haru Shinkai, the protagonist of the upcoming Digimon anime.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
So we finally got a teaser for the English dub of "Digimon Tri: Reunion". It's a short clip of Kuwagamon attacking Tai (Played by Joshua Seth) in the human world.

Reunion is in American theatres this Thursday. I can't wait! The Adventure is Evolving

Aurelius

I remember Digimon. I wasn't really into it but my older brother was.. The games were really cool though. I have the first Digimon World game kicking around somewhere in my house too. Good times!

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I really wish they brought Next Order overseas >_>
It's a shame they haven't brought it over yet, it really is great.

To give you an idea, the tutorial has you sucked into the Digital World, landing in a battle between the evil Machinedramon and the heroic WarGreymon/MetalGarurumon whom you command for a while.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
It's a shame they haven't brought it over yet, it really is great.

To give you an idea, the tutorial has you sucked into the Digital World, landing in a battle between the evil Machinedramon and the heroic WarGreymon/MetalGarurumon whom you command for a while.
Well I still have hope they do one day...

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
They're teasing us again with another dubbed clip of Reunion. This time it's Sora, Mimi and Kari in a restaurant discussing the boys. That Sora/Tai and Sora/Matt ship teasing tho'. :eek:

Top Bottom