• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry HD Collection Review (PS3)

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
This is a review for Devil May Cry HD Collection for PS3.

Devil-May-Cry-HD-Collection_2011_11-04-11_001.jpg

Introduction

Devil-May-Cry-HD-Collection_2011_11-04-11_002.jpg
A dream HD collection come true for Devil May Cry fans.

This is perhaps one of the most anticipated HD collections by many players, especially for Devil May Cry fans. This includes all three classic Devil May Cry games, which is Devil May Cry, Devil May Cry 2, and Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition. All three games are supposedly remastered to HD, as well as having bonus content included.

Games

Devil-May-Cry-HD-Collection_2011_11-04-11_004.jpg
Play back all three DMC games in HD.

1) Devil May Cry HD

This is the first Devil May Cry in the series, and it has the second best HD remastering job in the game. Since this game was made in 2001, the graphics are not exactly spectacular at current standards, and the remastering HD work is only second best. In-game menus, some in-game engine cutscenes, FMV scenes in this game are not particularly remastered in HD, and all of these stuffs are compressed into window-boxed screen instead of fullscreen or widescreen. Have a look at my review on this game here:

http://devilmaycry.org/community/threads/devil-may-cry-hd-review-ps3.10554/

2) Devil May Cry 2 HD

This is the second Devil May Cry in the series, and it has the surprisingly the best HD remastering job in the game. Only the in-game menus are compressed into window-boxed screen, and all of the cutscenes are viewed in fullscreen. Have a look at my review on this game here:

http://devilmaycry.org/community/threads/devil-may-cry-2-hd-review-ps3.10585/

3) Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition HD

This is the third Devil May Cry in the series, and it has the worst HD remastering job in the game. The in-game menus are compressed into window-boxed screen, and many of the FMV as well as in-game engine cutscenes are poorly remastered, with loss of details on characters, environments, etc. Have a look at my review on this game here:

http://devilmaycry.org/community/threads/devil-may-cry-3-hd-review-ps3.10598/

Bonus Content

Devil-May-Cry-HD-Collection_2011_12-19-11_002.jpg
Disappointingly, there isn't much new content in the game.

In actuality, there isn't much new content included in this HD Collection. There are only Artworks gallery and Audio gallery in the Vault option. Artworks gallery showcases some old and previously unseen artworks for all three DMC games in the collection, as well as artworks drawn by Capcom Unity members. The Audio gallery allows you to play a song from all three game's soundtrack for your pleasure.

There are also Trophy support for PS3 and Achievements for Xbox 360, which requires you to complete certain objective to earn it. I dare say that getting complete Trophies/Achievements in this game are not easy tasks.

I have to say, the lack of actual bonus content is severely disappointing. Capcom/Pipeworks Software should have include more stuffs from the upcoming DmC: Devil May Cry, the reboot of Devil May Cry series such as interview videos, gameplay demo, or something new in the HD Collection. Since this is the PS3 version, it should have fairly enough of storage space to include a lot of new contents because it is a Blu-ray disc.

Conclusion

Devil-May-Cry-HD-Collection_2011_10-17-11_009.jpg
The image above shows my clear disappointment with this HD collection's poor remastering job and lack of bonus content.

Devil May Cry HD Colection is a good collection of stylish action packed games, but the HD remastering of each Devil May Cry games in this collection is poorly done. Surprisingly, Devil May Cry 2 HD looks the best in this HD Collection, and Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition HD has the worst HD remastering job ever. I have to blame two parties for this decent and flawed HD Collection. First: Capcom. They should have hired a better developer to do HD remastering of Devil May Cry games, such as Bluepoint Games. Bluepoint Games have remastered many games to HD, such as Metal Gear Solid HD Collection and The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection. All these games are remastered professionally by Bluepoint Games, and I have to commend on their well-done job on Ico's HD remastering work.

The second party I should blame is Pipeworks Software. They did not do a good job in remastering each Devil May Cry game to proper HD, and many of the graphics department on each game is poorly done. Although the gameplay stages for each games are remastered perfectly, many cutscenes in all three games are not properly remastered into HD. Pipeworks Software should have paid more attention in remastering all three DMC games into HD.

The actual lack of bonus content is also disappointing. Capcom/Pipeworks Software should have included more new contents in the HD collection, such as interview videos for DmC: Devil May Cry, demo for DmC: Devil May Cry, etc. This perhaps might provide better incentives to players to buy this collection, but unfortunately this is a missed opportunity by Capcom/Pipeworks Software.

Another thing I must complain is the lack of option of returning back to the game select menu. There should be an option that allows us to return back to the game-select menu in each game. This handy option is present in some HD Collections such as The Tomb Raider Trilogy and Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, but this option is absent in this DMC HD Collection. It is fairly cumbersome to quit the game to the PS3's XMB menu and start the game back again. A clear oversight by Pipeworks Software.

Either way, this is a fairly decent HD collection, and Devil May Cry fans can rejoice in playing all three Devil May Cry games in current generation consoles. Be warned though, this is not exactly the best looking HD Collection in current market.

Score

Total Games' Score : 8.2/10
Total HD Remastering Score: 7.7/10

Final Score: 8/10

Pros and Cons
- All three Devil May Cry games are included in this collection.
- All three games are remastered in HD.
- Fair price for a collection of three games.

Cons
- Poor job on remastering the games to HD, especially Devil May Cry HD and Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition HD.
- Serious lack of bonus and new content.
- Lack the option of returning back to game select menu for each each game.

Xeroxis

Space Detective
Premium
WHOA! Your a damn good reviewer! :D
Since I dont own a PS2, I never got to play the first 3 games, so this will allow me to have actual fun! :)

What should of happened:
Rework the entire game from the ground up (like Goldeneye Reloaded)

berto

I Saw the Devil
Actually, I didn't see aything in the vault that was 'unseen' before, everything there could be found on the internet.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
It's a great collection. But... i just can't get past the unwatchable cutscenes in my copy. It just makes it so disappointing

Top Bottom