• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dead Space 2 Hard Core Mode Tips

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
I have completed Hard Core mode for Dead Space 2 today, so I would like to share some tips for those who wants to attempt Hard Core mode in Dead Space 2.

1. Make sure you have played Zealot mode.

In Hard Core mode, the damage that Necromorphs deal to you will be the same as Zealot mode. Thus, it is imperative for you to get used to the damage, and prepare accordingly.

Also, the amount of ammo drops for Hard Core mode is the same as Zealot mode. In other words, you will get 3 Plasma Ammo in Hard Core mode instead of 6 Plasma Ammo in Casual mode.

2. Memorise all Necromorph's placement in each Chapters if possible.

Try to memorise where does the Necromorph spawns in each areas in every Chapters. By doing so, you can anticipate them and kill them first before they make their way to kill you.

3. Avoid all environmental hazards!

If you have completed the game, then you must know that there are a lot of dangerous environmental hazards in Zero Gravity areas as well as others, such as compressors, etc. If you are careless, you will get an instant death, and you have to restart from your last save point. If you do not save at all, you need to start from the beginning of the game. It will be a shame if you died because of getting hit by a dangerous fan and you have to play from the start again.

Decompression windows are your best and worst friends in the game. Best friend if you can hit the switch to prevent yourself from decompressed, worst friend if you accidentally shot the window when you are near to the window. In some areas, there are Exploders will spawn near to the decompression windows, so try to kill it without exploding it, or kill it when it is away from the decompression window.

4. Use your 3 Saves wisely.

You can only save your game 3 times in Hard Core mode playthrough. That's right, only 3 times. It is advisable if you save your game before potentially dangerous areas like Zero Gravity areas, or areas where there is a lot of Necromorphs that will be attacking you when you reach it.

When I played Hard Core mode, I saved at:

- Chapter 5. Before the Tormentor fight.
- Chapter 9. Before the Tripod Nest.
- Chapter 13. At the beginning of the Chapter with a Store nearby.

Why do I save at the beginning of Chapter 13, and not before the Eye Poke Machine? It is because there is a dangerous rotating laser room later in the Chapter, which is an instant kill if I make a mistake. Besides, later rooms in that chapter have numerous dangerous Necromorphs like Enhanced Pukers, Exploders, and Enhanced Brute that can kill you easily if you are not careful. I do not dare to take a risk, and I rather start at the beginning of Chapter 13 instead of starting from Chapter 9 again.

5. Beware of Pregants, Exploders, Swarmers, Cysts and Leapers

Pregnants are extremely dangerous if you are not careful. If you shoot at it's stomach, it will release a huge number of Swarmers, which can kill you an instant if a lot of them are attached to you. To prevent this, use Stasis on it, dismember one of it's arms, and then one of it's legs. Dismember both of it's hands can also kill it instantly. If somehow you accidentally shot it's stomach and the Swarmers are released, use Stasis on it, run to the back, and kill them using Force Gun, Pulse Rifle, or Ripper.

Exploders are extremely dangerous if you encounter them at close range. Their explosion attack can easily kill you instantly in Hard Core mode, even if you have a fully upgraded Health for your RIG. If somehow they get close to you, Stasis it, run to a safe distance, and shoot the explosive bulb to kill it. Also, the explosion blast radius is quite wide, so make sure you have run far away before shooting the explosive bulb.

Leapers are also your worst enemies in this game, even more than Slashers, Stalkers, and Pukers. Leapers in this game can jump at greater distance compared with the first game, as well as it's tendency to make combo attacks. In Hard Core mode, it's combo attack can kill you easily. Use Force Gun, or Ripper to kill it when they are close. Personally, I recommend using Force Gun as it allows you to knock them back off, giving you some space to run or use different weapon.

Cysts act like minelands. If you are close enough, they will shoot a mine that can deal heavy damage to you, or instantly kill you if you have low health. Listen to the sounds that they make, and kill them using objects via Kinesis.

Other Necromorphs and it's Enhanced versions are dangerous as well, but those 4 are the most dangerous in the game, in my opinion.

6. Remember to use Stasis on enemies and dangerous environmental hazards in Zero Gravity areas.

Use Stasis on fast enemies like Leapers, Slashers, etc so that you can have better chances of killing them or run away from them. Stasis can be your lifesaver if you use it rightly. Make sure you have Stasis Packs as your backup if there is no Stasis Stations around.

There are some environmental hazards that you need to use Stasis in order to safely traverse, like moving giant fan in Chapter 3. Use Stasis on it so that you have time to get through that area safely.

7. Choose your weapons wisely.

Make sure you know how to handle your weapons effectively. Some people may like to use Plasma Cutter, whereas some does not. Each weapons have their own pros and cons, so try to use the ones that suits your fighting style.

Personally, I used Forged Plasma Cutter, Agility Pulse Rifle, Forged Line Gun, and Bloody Force Gun from the Supernova Pack and Martial Law Pack as my main weapons.

8. Bring plenty of Med Packs.

Bring a a lot of Med Packs when playing Hard Core mode. The game is not really forgiving as most Necromorphs can deal huge damage to you, so play safe and bring a lot of Med Packs. Better safe than sorry.

9. Get every items in every areas.

Credits and Items are vital in this mode, as the ammo drop from the Necromorphs are not sufficient. Find every Semiconductors, Items, Power Nodes and Credits to make sure you are sufficiently prepared for the next Chapter.

10. Don't be stingy with your Credits.

You can find a lot of Credits in the game. Don't be stingy about it, and buy Ammo for your weapons, Med Packs, and any other necessary items. Just don't burn all of your money by buying a lot of Power Nodes for upgrading.

11. Upgrade your weapons, RIG, and Stasis with balance.

Upgrade your weapons, RIG, and Stasis evenly. Personally, I do not upgrade RIG's AIR, and TK Damage. I only focus on upgrading HEALTH as that is the most important thing to survive in this mode. I also upgraded Stasis's ENERGY, and DURATION evenly. As for the weapons, I mainly focuses on DAMAGE as it allows me to kill Necromorphs faster.

12. Do not rely too much on Kinesis to impale Necromorphs.

Although using Kinesis and throws a sharp object to impale an enemy allows you to conserve ammo, sometimes it is not reliable as it takes two or three hits to kill them. Plus, you can only hit one target using this.

13. Purchase Suits with better Armor and Inventory Slots ASAP.

With higher Armor, you can reduce damage dealt by Necromorphs attack. With more Inventory Slots, you can carry more Items. Make sure you buy Engineering Suit in Chapter 1, Security Suit in Chapter 4, Vintage Suit in Chapter 8, and Advanced Suit in Chapter 11 ASAP to maximise your Armor and Inventory Slots. Purchasing Supernova or Martial Law Packs allows you to have good Armor and Inventory Slots in early Chapters, until you get the Advanced Suit.

Will post more tips later on.

Top Bottom