• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante's personality: my take on it

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
Let's start with DMC1. Dante is a badass, yet a tortured soul. Cocky and arrogant, yet deep and thoughtful. Hot blooded and passionate in battle, but icy chill and professional outside of it

He may be representing the 70's and early 80's anime hero. He reminds me of Kouji Kabuto from Mazinger, Akira Fudo of DevilMan, Ken Washio from Science Ninja Team Gatchaman or Captain Mother ****ing Harlock.

DMC2 Dante is a stoic, nearly characterless badass. He says one or two killer lines, but a lot of his spark and charm are replaced by darkness and silence. His battle skills are sharper than ever, but the ease at which he curbstomps his enemies makes the character...less fun. Basically, we only want to see how badass he can be.b

He may represent the 80's and early 90's anime hero. Compare him to Dick- I mean Duke Togo aka Golgo 13, Cobra from Space Adventure Cobra.

DMC3 Dante is self interested, fun-loving, and a bit of a blood knight.

Let's compare Dante 3 to....Son Goku and Yuskue Urameshi. Like Goku, he loves a good brawl. Like Yusuke, he's rude and arrogant at times, with a golden heart. DMC3 Dante may well represent 90's anime heroes.

DMC4 Dante is DMC3 Dante up to eleven. He's even flashier, even more in your face, even more invincible. It's no longer a question of "if" he'll win it's "how insanely awesome" will he win.

New millennium heroes Naruto, Ichigo Kurosaki, Monkey D. Luffy are comparable to him.

DmC Dante is darker, more moody. He's unloved and hardened by life, broken by his past and so he puts on a hardened "I don't give a ****" attitude for the world. But he becomes a hero, slowly but surely.

He may well represent the 2010's anime heroes. Compare him to late 00's and early Ten heroes Oga Tatsumi from Beelzebub, Rin Okumura from Ao no Exorcist or Kazuma Magari from Nora. Or Kazuma from Kaze no Stigma.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Hmmm, funny you talked about Ken Washio.Some days before me and some friends had discussed this before to conclude Dante couldn't be farther than Ken:
In Ken's case the heroic trope is played straight while Dante is an anti-hero; Ken is a chaste hero trope, being oblivious to female gender, lampshaded in the episode where Jun was swallowed by an woman eater flower, where he says " I forgot Jun was a woman".He was never flirtatious and was proud without being arrogant.
Dante is quite self indulgent and he is SURE not oblivious to women and to sex, even to his "supposed friends". In fact Dante is more close to Joe Asakura ( even if Joe was not exactly flirtatious).
Ken was my Major crush ( and still is), that's why I know him so well.It's the kind of hero/guy that we can't find anymore .I miss this kind of hero!:'(

Top Bottom