• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Cosmology of Devil May Cry...

Just a quick question. Silent Types: Badass everywhere or just some places, like Japan?

• Total voters

gaiusofdante1991

Philosopher, novelist, and avid gamer.
This is more of a question than a statement, but it's a question that should be answered anyway. More or less, I just want to know everybody's opinion about how they think the DMC universe works. To start it off, I'll propose my theory.

The universe began as primordial chaos, formless, insane, and meaningless. There were no worlds to begin with, but something changed. In the blink of an eye, there was life, and light, and time. Where there was once nothing, now was filled by two driving forces. The soul of this new world, anima and mana. Anima is the force of substance, it's the energy that embodies the universe, gives it form, and makes it move. Mana is the force of essence, it's the energy that gives purpose, and gives the animated a will. Both anima and mana can carry a charge, positive or negative, but is otherwise neutral. This charge determines what a thing is, and what it will, most likely, do.

The heavens have a positive charge. The hells have a negative charge. The human world has a neutral charge. These charges are subject to change, but only the charge of the human world changes drastically. Besides being the first of the three worlds, the human world generates large amounts of both anima and mana, which spill over into the adjacent realms. The mana of the soul, disperses as it travels through the heavens, separating itself from the anima that it's attached to. The anima then condenses as it moves back through the heavens, making its descent to the hells. The anima then pools at the bottom and builds itself up to the human world.

Because of this cycle, the relation of the heavens and the hells to the human world resemble an hourglass. This system also creates a well-balanced, perpetual transfer of energy. So should one thing happen to the heavens, it is sure to be reciprocated in the hells.

Okay, now it's your turn. Please, read this post, analyze it, an critique it. I'm looking for feedback. Agree or disagree, I want you to explain why. So long as you do, even beginning with, "No! No! No! No! No! No! NO! That's ALL WRONG!" is still considered good feedback. Thank you.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
The Devil May Cry 3 manga gives a very basic description of the origin of the two worlds. Basically it says that originally there was only one world, a world of pure darkness . Then light came into existance and the world was split into a world of Darkness (the demon world) and a world of Light ( the human world) no equivalent of heaven is mentioned so apparently there isn't one ( which makes sense considering that the only actual Angels whe have seen in DMC are relativity weak Fallen.) The manga doesn't really say much about how this happened or the exact nature of the two worlds.

I have theory based on the fact that there is significantly more darkness in the human world than there is light in the demon world. My theory is that the human world was originally an angel world and there was a conflict between the two worlds that resulted in small changes to the demon world (a limited degree of order, the presence of fallen angels, and certain demons ( including Sparda and Trish) being capable of developing something resembling a human "heart") and massive changes to the angel/human world( no (or very few) angels, the eventual existence of humans who have a "heart" but are still capable of being just as corrupt and evil as heartless demons and the noticeable absence of signifigant amounts of magical energy in the human world that isn't connected to the demon world.)

I have a more detailed version of the theory based on the idea that Devil May Cry and Bayonetta take place in the same world. The theory is that the entire Trinity of Realities from Bayonetta is the world of light and that the conflict from my first theory is the event that split the world into the trinity creating a world filled with beings that resemble demons but are willing to make deals with humans and assist them (Inferno), a world filled with beings that resemble angels but act more like demons (Paradiso) and a world with almost no magical power (the human world)

Railazel

I think that the DMC 3 manga didn't really do a good job with describing the origin of the DMC- verse. There are Angels other than the Fallen, Nelo Angelo was believed to be one of them. It is also said in the DMC 1 manga that "greater devils were once greater angels" so there is an equivalent of Heaven in DMC that we just haven't been shown.

I theorized that DMC 1 had a similar to origin story to Bayonetta where Heaven, the Human World, and the Underworld were once one and had split apart.

gaiusofdante1991

The Devil May Cry 3 manga gives a very basic description of the origin of the two worlds. Basically it says that originally there was only one world, a world of pure darkness . Then light came into existance and the world was split into a world of Darkness (the demon world) and a world of Light ( the human world) no equivalent of heaven is mentioned so apparently there isn't one ( which makes sense considering that the only actual Angels whe have seen in DMC are relativity weak Fallen.) The manga doesn't really say much about how this happened or the exact nature of the two worlds.

I think that the DMC 3 manga didn't really do a good job with describing the origin of the DMC- verse. There are Angels other than the Fallen, Nelo Angelo was believed to be one of them. It is also said in the DMC 1 manga that "greater devils were once greater angels" so there is an equivalent of Heaven in DMC that we just haven't been shown.

I theorized that DMC 1 had a similar to origin story to Bayonetta where Heaven, the Human World, and the Underworld were once one and had split apart.

Thanks.

gaiusofdante1991

So, I'd like to make a few additions to my cosmology theory.

There are parallels of each the Human World, Hell, and Heaven. Each have their own structure, or some minor variation thereof, some of which are three dimensional, like an hourglass, others are more complex. Each creation theory also has its own variations, but ultimately are one and the same: Primordial Dark, a burst of light, then three separate worlds. Over time, each world developed its own life, and each world lived without knowledge of the other two. However, this quickly changed when a young woman fell through a gap in the fabric of reality. It's uncertain whether he first came to Heaven or Hell, but after her disappearance, both angels and demons began to traverse the dimensional corridors to journey to the Human world. The angels found ignorant children, unlearned in the ways of cosmic truth; the demons found a food source. Travel between the dimensions wasn't as difficult then as it is now. Surprisingly, it was the initial development of a belief system that placed the pandimensional laws preventing free travel from either Heaven or Hell, but not towards.
It was with this belief system, one that favored and solely benefited the angels, that caused demons to rage war on the humans. Though it took years, decades even, Hell managed to manipulate humanity into creating a pathway to Hell. Demons could be summoned en masse through these pathways and could even carry humans across it. The angels were at a loss. They didn't have the power to physically manifest themselves in the human world, and even if they could, they would not have the power to defeat the demons. However, the solution presented itself in the most surprising manner. It was an angel named Orca who first discovered the symbiosis between angels and humanity; it was also in this moment that angels discovered why they were so drawn to humanity: Mana. Humans were effectual powerhouses of Mana, the very essence of Heaven itself and the source of power for angels. If allowed, an angel could psychically fuse with a human and use the host's Mana to bolster their power. With this human/angel pairing, the demons were driven back, but not all left the Human World.
After their defeat, the demons tried for countless years to find a way to use humans to increase their power, and it had happened almost by accident. After spending years in the Human World and consuming as many humans as they did, the demons began to do something that they had never done before; they began to think. Demons might not be as knowledgeable as angels or as clever as humans, but they were cunning, and patient. They discovered that humans had more uses than simply as a food source, they also dictated what extra-dimensional creatures, such as demons, were capable of accomplishing. So, with a little manipulation, a few select demons disguised themselves as humans and began spreading rumors of demons having angel-like powers, including possession. Fear spread amongst humanity like wildfire, and as it grew, so too did the powers of the Hell.

This is the first installment of additions that I want to make. I'll be sure to continue this later, but for right now, I got **** to do.

Top Bottom