• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Continuing original universe seems not to be in Capcom's plans too soon.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Ok, this is an answer about DMC2 remake, but Gregman gave an interesting answer:

There's a difference between listening to fan feedback to gauge trends and granting the wishes of each individual fan. While I'd be thrilled to see the Devil May Cry brand grow as prolific as Mega Man (remember, MM has averaged more than 5 games a year for 25 years), I'm not sure a DMC2 remake is the most marketable direction for the series, especially when you consider how confused the original timeline already is, plus the fact that we've just rebooted the brand with a new universe and timeline.

REmake was a way to utilize the brand new hardware of the time to retroactively do justice to a title that was already beloved. Not sure we could garner enough support to warrant revisiting DMC2 specifically, especially considering we don't even have an RE2 remake and there's been an active fanbase rallying for that.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...ith-a-dmc2-remake?post_id=528653735#528653735

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
Ok, this is an answer about DMC2 remake, but Gregman gave an interesting answer:

There's a difference between listening to fan feedback to gauge trends and granting the wishes of each individual fan. While I'd be thrilled to see the Devil May Cry brand grow as prolific as Mega Man (remember, MM has averaged more than 5 games a year for 25 years), I'm not sure a DMC2 remake is the most marketable direction for the series, especially when you consider how confused the original timeline already is, plus the fact that we've just rebooted the brand with a new universe and timeline.

REmake was a way to utilize the brand new hardware of the time to retroactively do justice to a title that was already beloved. Not sure we could garner enough support to warrant revisiting DMC2 specifically, especially considering we don't even have an RE2 remake and there's been an active fanbase rallying for that.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...ith-a-dmc2-remake?post_id=528653735#528653735
Looks like some of Capcom do know DmC didn't sell well, even though some actually enjoyed it like the original or more than it. Gregaman knows what he's saying!

And at least he knows the original timeline is so confusing... :)
He'd go tell Capcom to fix it up with patches on those damned plotholes! :D

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
Capcom follows charts and numbers. When the numbers said MegaMan was not going to sell they canned it (note:Mighty No.9 is already profitable and it's not out yet), when it said survival horror was not profitable they mutated RE to sell to a broader audience, when the numbers said that DLC heavy content for all future games was the only way to stay afloat they listened. Don't count on Capcom to know what the best course of action for their franchises or they themselves are even if their employees do.

DMCGamer1989

This conflicts with things that Eshiro and Itsuno have been saying about continuing the old timeline recently as hinted by these links.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10...ps4-also-rival-schools-3-and-devil-may-cry-5/

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/11/ace_attorney_producer_wants_to_revive_capcoms_final_fight

This doesn't really confirm anything other than their immediate plans for DmC. And note that this was pointed out when Capcom anticipating high sales for DmC, I think what Gregaman is trying to say is that it's pointless to remake the most unpopular title in the series when a new game could easilly stand alone or rectify some of the plot holes.

In my opinion remaking DMC1 with DMC4/DmC elements and expanding the plot is a good way to go, giving players a new starting point and at the same time, not disregarding previous material and if it proves successful, subsequent remakes could be made, retconing and adding certain elements. The Neptunia series has done this recently and their first game in their remake series did very well in Japan.

It's sad to say that as of now, there's really nothing definitive about Devil May Cry's future other than the movie.

Last edited:

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Seems like an odd situation for him to even have to comment on >.< "Hey, DMC2 sucked, remake it," probably not as helpful, like Gregaman said. Making a redux just to fix it would be really confusing to the general market, and even to fans - seriously, they'd be asking about why there's a remake of DMC2 and not just DMC5 :tongue:

However, this all doesn't necessarily mean that classic DMC isn't on Capcom's mind, Gregaman is a community manager after all, and he's only commenting on remaking DMC2 being a silly thing to do. He's not Itsuno, the guy who's been trying to keep the franchise alive.

MigsRZXAStylish

Seems like an odd situation for him to even have to comment on >.< "Hey, DMC2 sucked, remake it," probably not as helpful, like Gregaman said. Making a redux just to fix it would be really confusing to the general market, and even to fans - seriously, they'd be asking about why there's a remake of DMC2 and not just DMC5 :tongue:

However, this all doesn't necessarily mean that classic DMC isn't on Capcom's mind, Gregaman is a community manager after all, and he's only commenting on remaking DMC2 being a silly thing to do. He's not Itsuno, the guy who's been trying to keep the franchise alive.
The thing is that Gregaman is a great person! :)

berto

I Saw the Devil
Seems like an odd situation for him to even have to comment on >.< "Hey, DMC2 sucked, remake it," probably not as helpful, like Gregaman said.
You know the other half that, don't you? Where does it stop. DMC2 sucked, DMC1 is outdated, DMC3 needs better graphics and updated mechanics, DMC4 was incomplete, RE2 needs another remake. Remaking isn't a good idea.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Well, there's no "other half" mentioned, so I didn't comment on that intangible idea :tongue:

I can understand the mindset, because it does set a trend that fans think they're picking up on; Square has been suffering from it, actually, because people clamor for a remake of VII, and then Square starts remaking everything else instead, due in part I wholly believe because they want people to actually recognize the other great titles other than VII.

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
Despite actually liking DMC2 a remake like they did with RE would be damn awesome. With work it could be the best the series because it has all the right elements already there. They just need to expand upon them. But back on topic, it more than likely wont happen. While I wont say Cap has given up on DMC series altogether, their primary focus is to make money and I'm sure this wouldn't be very profitable... then again seeing the mixed reception that DmC had, them just throwing back the original name could actually make them a lot of money... but then they'll just halfass it I'm sure. Hell they wouldn't even have to call it DMC2 remake, just call it Devil May Cry 2nd Wind or some sh*t. I'm sure fans would forever be in their hands that way lol.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I guess not ALL of Capcom are that bad...! :)
Capcom, like any other gaming company, has two sides, the corporate and the artistic.

The artistic wants to make every game they make the greatest game in history, the corporate sets their limitations and allows them to get those dreams off the ground, but with in reason. Alot of Japanese companies treat their game companies like any other business in Japan and their developers like all other Japanese business men. As such, a lot of these companies approach their work as such. When the gaming industry hit it big at the end of the PS2 era this philosophy started to grow and mid way through the PS3/360 era the side effects started to really show, if we all remember the decline of Japanese gaming. Someone wiser than I once said that game development is an alchemy, part art, part science, for a while Japan seemed to have forgotten that, at least Capcom did.

I don't know how things are progressing in the east right now, Square seems to have really grown since their failures so maybe that's indicative of the rest of the industry, but what I do know is that Capcom is still doing things that make me wonder.

MigsRZXAStylish

Capcom, like any other gaming company, has two sides, the corporate and the artistic.

The artistic wants to make every game they make the greatest game in history, the corporate sets their limitations and allows them to get those dreams off the ground, but with in reason. Alot of Japanese companies treat their game companies like any other business in Japan and their developers like all other Japanese business men. As such, a lot of these companies approach their work as such. When the gaming industry hit it big at the end of the PS2 era this philosophy started to grow and mid way through the PS3/360 era the side effects started to really show, if we all remember the decline of Japanese gaming. Someone wiser than I once said that game development is an alchemy, part art, part science, for a while Japan seemed to have forgotten that, at least Capcom did.

I don't know how things are progressing in the east right now, Square seems to have really grown since their failures so maybe that's indicative of the rest of the industry, but what I do know is that Capcom is still doing things that make me wonder.
I'll take your word for that, berto!

IncarnatedDemon

Let us not be conceited and think "Capcom has Devil May Cry in mind". We need to have perspective like Phineas said. And the perspective is that Capcom did not give a **** about original serie from beginning of reboot´s development to after it failed to reach 2M-4M that they expected and hoped for.

As for Megaman and DMC? They aren´t exactly comparable:
megaman-x-4-1-s-307x512.jpg

megaman-3-gameplaymega-man-iii-user-screenshot--9-for-game-boy---gamefaqs-pfz1vl8j.jpg

gfs_47119_2_12.jpg

Take a guess at ONE OF reasons why it´s so easy to make so many Megaman games. Need a hint?
zbrush_berial_wip.jpg

Even if Capcom managed to make both DmC2 and DMC 5, one of the project would be neglected in areas of development, or other Capcom games would suffer as result of two similar projects going on. Infact during reboot development a Capcom spokesmen teased a reboot sequel, and what´s important here is that he said that since "DMC" has been outsourced it will take 5 years to make next game but that they hope to narrow this 5 years to 2.5 years in time.

Have in mind that Capcom having original DMC in back of their head ("We´re thinking about it!") or "in their cards" does not qualify as them thinking of Devil May Cry. That´s just standard business attitude, keep everything you got close to you incase **** happens. And **** did happen with reboot, part of their reason to reboot was to get GoW type of sales. Their hope was 4M sales, their expectation became 2M, then 1.5M and to save face their own face from "Damn our game sold little" they lowered the expectation again to 1.15M. I don´t think reboot even sold that much...

Actions speak louder than words. Something tells me we might see a DMC game announced in first semester of 2014. Would that mean that Capcom cares? Not really. Throughout reboot development when people asked them about original serie sequel, they gave a generic "We´ll see what happens, you never know". It´s obvious their decision depended on the sales result of reboot.

Don´t be deceived. FACE YOUR DEMONS
2z7exox.png

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
It doesn't seem like Capcom is planning to make any Devil May Cry game, at the moment. What one person wants to do is a wholly different thing than what they are going to do.

It is nice to see people filled with so much hope for a new game, though, so I hope at least one of the two Devil May Cry versions will continue. I don't think it's a good idea for both to coexist, though, because Capcom has a lot more games to make than just Devil May Cry. They don't have the resources to make two very similar series run parallel to each other. Aside from that, they probably don't want that, either. I mean, really, if you were a developer, would you really want to spend years and YEARS developing two series with slightly different versions of the same things alongside each other? I'm betting it would get incredibly monotonous after a short while, and it would p*ss off some of Capcom's employees because they wouldn't get to work on anything new. And that would lead to a product that's of a lower quality than it should be.

Last edited:

Awake

Under the Promised Flag
Well nothing is written in stone yet...if someone says something it might change the next day...we just as a fan base need to show more support in which franchise we want, most likely a DMC 5. Also I wouldn't mind if they made a remake of DMC 2...if you read the novel the was suppose to be a prequel to it...Dante still has his cocky attitude in it..plus all they have to change is the gameplay and add more to the story...So we must do what we can...even though what we can do is limited...but then again this is the internet and every petition, blog, podcast, etc started off with a simple post

Top Bottom