• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Common misconceptions about Science(In General)

Exejpgwmv

I'll start it off:

"Where did the laws of the universe come from?(Laws of Physics, Motion, Thermodynamics etc etc.)"
Us. They came from humans. Those laws are simply descriptions of how we perceive the universe and how it works.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
The myth that Lightning never strikes the same place twice. Yes, it does strikes the same place twice. Lightning obviously favors high areas and places. In fact, it was reported that the Empire state building gets struck around 26 times a year.

Another one is that all Dinosaurs are lizards. No. Although the word Dinosaur means "Terrible Lizard", this was merely a descriptive term given to them not to signify their actual classification.

The biggest misconception has to be that Science is a collection of facts. Science doesn't know all the answer just as Religion does. Science is an ever changing process and some "facts" that we know today can change anytime. Any idea, now matter how widely accepted they are today, could be overturned tomorrow if the evidence warranted it. History has proven this many times.

Last edited:

Exejpgwmv

"Human nature is to be savage, cruel, hateful, and uncaring about others."
No, Humans are social animals, so working together to help each other survive is much more beneficial than being a sociopath.
Also, most of us have this thing called human empathy :p

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
"Human nature is to be savage, cruel, hateful, and uncaring about others."
No, Humans are social animals, so working together to help each other survive is much more beneficial than being a sociopath.
Also, most of us have this thing called human empathy :p
Nothing really to do with science, just sounds like something your typical pessimist would say.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Nothing really to do with science, just sounds like something your typical pessimist would say.
Not really pessimistic. It's the herd concept. If one person runs away, others follow. If a couple of people panic, there's bound to be a riot. If a few people stop to help someone in trouble, others will join them. The herd concept. Human empathy is spread and evoked in others.
You get what I'm saying, right?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Not really pessimistic. It's the herd concept. If one person runs away, others follow. If a couple of people panic, there's bound to be a riot. If a few people stop to help someone in trouble, others will join them. The herd concept. Human empathy is spread and evoked in others.
You get what I'm saying, right?
Yea, but I believe at the end of the day people can come together when needed. I'd like to believe that. For example I remember a long time ago there was this major black out in a town, I think in Ohio, and everyone thought people would go nuts. Riot and take advantage of the lack of power losing their sh!t. You know what happened? People went outside. Camped out and did some BBQ. Acknowledged their neighbors existence and hung out. It was chilled.

Exejpgwmv

Yea, but I believe at the end of the day people can come together when needed. I'd like to believe that. For example I remember a long time ago there was this major black out in a town, I think in Ohio, and everyone thought people would go nuts. Riot and take advantage of the lack of power losing their sh!t. You know what happened? People went outside. Camped out and did some BBQ. Acknowledged their neighbors existence and hung out. It was chilled.
Yeah, in those kind of situations most people know not to panic.
Really, most people got the idea that everyone would panic during large events, from movies.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
The idea that a scientific theory is literally just a theory, as though it were an educated guess. That's not what the word 'theory' means in this instance. All it means is this: ''a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that can incorporate facts, laws, inferences, and tested hypotheses'' - Wikipedia.
Some theories are even accepted to have been proved, such as those of evolution and gravity.

Laurence Barnes

Still not dead. Just not really here any more.
Premium
Woooo science! Also to a reply I saw in this thread: yes black holes don't suck but recently scientists have discovered something and now the description of a black hole must be completely rewritten as they aren't what we thought they were.

Also I have seen multiple occasions where the media has taken the scientist's words a little out of context.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
I hate it the most when people dismiss a scientific idea because it's labeled as a "theory."

True, a scientific theory has not yet been proven, but it means it's accepted as true by the majority and the only thing missing is a precise explanation to how it applies to our universe.

Easy example: people don't like to believe in the big bang "theory" or the "theory" of evolution.
They have the right to not believe in whatever they want, but if people as nitpicky as scientists had the conviction to call it even just a "theory" it is, in one degree or another, always with good reason.

Exejpgwmv

Numbers don't exist.:mad:
They are a concept made to help us quantify and organize things.
Numbers are not physical objects that exist in some alternate plain of existence.

AngelEyes

Dressed To Kill
I hate it the most when people dismiss a scientific idea because it's labeled as a "theory."

True, a scientific theory has not yet been proven, but it means it's accepted as true by the majority and the only thing missing is a precise explanation to how it applies to our universe.

Easy example: people don't like to believe in the big bang "theory" or the "theory" of evolution.
They have the right to not believe in whatever they want, but if people as nitpicky as scientists had the conviction to call it even just a "theory" it is, in one degree or another, always with good reason.

So much this. Science theory has to be written about properly and then published with peer reviews and all that stuff. I find it so dumb that natural selection can be seen working and is something the human species affects all the time, but evolution is knocked as a theory. Facepalm.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Despite the constant creationism vs Evolution debate. Charles Darwin never said anything about humans coming from apes. His actual theory was that they shared a common ancestor.

Exejpgwmv

Despite the constant creationism vs Evolution debate. Charles Darwin never said anything about humans coming from apes. His actual theory was that they shared a common ancestor.
Well to be exact:
We share a common ancestor with modern day apes(because we are also modern day apes.)
BUT, we do come from ancient apes, or at least ape like creatures.

Last edited:
Top Bottom