• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Comic Book Videogames: Which is the best?

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Continuing from here:

http://devilmaycry.org/community/th...me-fanboys-last-week.14196/page-3#post-435778

I thought we had a good discussion going, so I'll open the floor here for everyone.

We've had some really great Comic Book games come out in recent years that really turned the tide on the tradition of licensed games being absolute garbage, so what's your take on them? Have we seen the definitive games of this sub-genre, or is the best yet to come? Is there one you're looking forward to most in the future?

Here's the copypasta of my last post in that thread:

Darigion said <On the subject of Hulk: Ultimate Destruction>:
Just wait till a little later in the game. That "a voice in your head told you to" thing takes on a WHOLE nother meaning when you find out who one of the bosses is...​
Oh I beat the game ages ago bro, I just thought I'd like to give it a roll again. Love that boss fight.

???: I SEE YOUR HEART BRUCE. YOU ARE WEAK. YOU ARE AFRAID.

HULK: HULK IS NOT AFRAID! HULK IS STRONGEST ONE THERE IS!

Shin Muramasa said <On the subject of the upcoming Deadpool game>:
I already mentioned that to him . . . but I was ignored . . . :(
Sorry chief, I just cracked out five hundred words on that post alone. I'll fix that with a hundred more.

I can't really cast an opinion on the Deadpool game unless we actually see some legitimate gameplay, but I'm not really sure if it will work as well as the fans want. The whole part of 'pool's appeal is his spontaneity and humor; when you have that as a gameplay mechanic it means a lot of recycled jokes. Just look at his appearance in MvC3. When you boil away the madcap attitude though, he's what he always was: a bad Liefeld rip-off of Deathstroke who had an amusing rewrite.

I do think a game that follows the T-Ray arc would be good fun though.

Shin Muramasa said:
With a Spider-Man game of quality similar to the Batman: Arkham series, the Amazing Spider-Man (the game) tried to do that, but it was met with mixed feelings.​
The thing is that you can't apply the Arkham formula to Spidey; the stealth and combat mechanics inherent to that franchise were carefully chosen to illustrate and compliment The Bat's methods. Although Spidey has changed over the years, probably the most lovable incarnation was that of the nineties cartoon, which took most of it's inspiration from the eighties run of the comic, when Peter would still crack a joke occasionally when tussling with ludicrous villains. In fact I'd say that was why Deadpool was so successful: He is basically classic Spiderman. He's a man with a tragic past who laughs off adversity and treats every threat he faces with levity. It was a style best nailed in the PS1 games.

1-a56dffspidermancover.jpg

...while the exploration and web swinging from the PS2 Spiderman 2 game was the definitive version...

Spider-Man_2_Coverart.png

The bottom line is, you can't just take what worked for Batman and apply it to other heroes. Everyone knows that.

MOS-logo.jpg

Except Warner Bros apparently.​

Ruisu

Of course you don't remember me.
I just don't get why people always keep saying Spider-Man 2 for the PS2 was the most awesome in terms of web-swing and all, and just ignore Web of Shadows, which imo is by far superior not only in that aspect, but in the gameplay as a whole.

And I don't see the Man of Steel movie as a "Nolan'ing" Superman just because he is involved. Sure, they said "grounded in reality" and all, but is Zack Snyder we are talking about here, and since his Watchmen movie I really trust in his ability to stay true to the comics spirit.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
I just don't get why people always keep saying Spider-Man 2 for the PS2 was the most awesome in terms of web-swing and all, and just ignore Web of Shadows, which imo is by far superior not only in that aspect, but in the gameplay as a whole.

Well with those two glowing reviews I guess I'm obliged to give it a look. I'll let you guys know what I think.

Batman Begins on the PS2 was pretty underrated too.

And I don't see the Man of Steel movie as a "Nolan'ing" Superman just because he is involved. Sure, they said "grounded in reality" and all, but is Zack Snyder we are talking about here, and since his Watchmen movie I really trust in his ability to stay true to the comics spirit.

I dunno, I remain cautiously pessimistic. Both Nolan and Synder's past successes have tended toward being fairly cynical in tone, and I don't know how well their styles will match Supes. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though.

Is it me or were the Christopher Reeve films all a bit pants? Not just the really awful ones, but even the alright ones?

Who else is looking forward to another bad videogame based on him to follow the film?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
While some of my favorite comic book games consist of these titles right here:
-Batman:Arkham Asylum and City (of course)
-Spider-Man 2
-Ultimate Spider-Man
-Spider-Man (ps1)
-Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
-X-Men: The Arcade Game
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4: Turtles In Time
-X-Men Legends 2: Rise of Apocalypse

I do have quite a few games that I feel are some fun little underrated gems and maybe a little bit of guilty pleasure. Not the best but ok enough where you can't help but have some fun with them:
-Marvel Nemesis: Rise of The Imperfects
-X-Men: Next Dimension
-The Punisher
-Batman Begins

As you can see I am a huge comic book fan lol.

Ruisu

Of course you don't remember me.
I do have quite a few games that I feel are some fun little underrated gems and maybe a little bit of guilty pleasure. Not the best but ok enough where you can't help but have some fun with them:
-Marvel Nemesis: Rise of The Imperfects
-X-Men: Next Dimension
-The Punisher
-Batman Begins

As you can see I am a huge comic book fan lol.

I still have those two for my PS2. The Punisher is really fun indeed, ad it just worked so fine for the most part of the game.
Marvel Nemesis had a rather convoluted plot, but playing multiplayer was awesome.

Who else is looking forward to another bad videogame based on him to follow the film?

Superman Returns the game was pretty awful in everything but freeroam. I wish it could be turned into some decent game using the base idea it had for flying around in the city. For example, the camera was too far away from superman for the flight to be really enjoyable. A closer camera like in The Amazing Spider-man would be a good improvement. They also would need more maps than just an stupid metropolis island, and a more clever way to put the ceiling limits than just bumping in an invisible wall after reaching the max height.

But then again, that would be just too much to ask for a movie-based game...

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
I still have those two for my PS2. The Punisher is really fun indeed, ad it just worked so fine for the most part of the game.

Ah, I love that game. How many games let you drown a dude in an active chroming vat? Not many says I. While the actual shooty mechanics might not hold up so well anymore, I think it made up for it in personality and sheer catharsis factor...much like Urban Chaos really.

Another thing I liked about The Punisher was the Garth Ennis inspiration. I've been a modest fan of some of his work for some time, and I liked seeing stuff from both the Welcome Back Frank and Marvel Knights run on the character. I know Garth is obnoxious for the sake of trolling, but the man understands Frank well.

I am saddened by the fact that we will never get a game based on Preacher.

preacher11.jpg

Incidentally, that's a series with a good idea of what the child of an Angel and a Devil should be like.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine

Spiderman Web Of Shadows.
The absolute best Spiderman title i've ever played.
Lots of action, free roaming, quick combat, responsive controls.
There's good & Bad choices, a dark storyline, interesting characters.
Ground & aerial combat, tons on skills for the black suited Spiderman & Normal suited Spiderman.
Kingpin
Black Cat
Moon Knight
Vulture
Wolverine
Black Widow.
Electro
Rhino
Mary Jane
Luke Cage
Venom.
All appear in the game.
A fight with Wolverine, & a fight with Wolverine when he gets a symbiote.
symbiote possessed....
Vulture
Wolverine.
Black Cat.
Choosing between MJ or the Black Cat.
Choosing to kill Eddie.
Web Of Shadows made me remember why i loved marvel comics at one time.
I strongly recommend playing this.

Alright, sorry for the double post, but you two buggers tricked me. Web of Shadows is just...good god does it have some massive problems.

It's made by Treyarch, the developers of Spiderman 2 (And Black Ops, funnily enough), and yet it signficantly dumbs down and removes major features from the web slinging traversal system 2 introduced. The slingshot ability is missing, the trick system for recovering Super Gauge has been removed...why do people think it's acceptable to rip out effective game design and replace it with nothing whatsoever?!

Granted the 2 system was unwieldy at first, but that's what made mastering it so gratifying.

The plot is really bizarre, because it's impossible to tell what point in the Spider canon it is, or indeed what universe it's supposed to take place in. I don't mind the broad strokes approach of course, but it does throw up problems like Peter not knowing that he could get the symbiote off him by standing next to a ringing bell, or his generally ignorant and ill-educated demeanour when Peter is meant to be fairly bright in any continuity (Seriously Pete, you know nothing about STALINGRAD?).

Don't get me started on the implementation of the Moral Choice system or the complete lack of incentive to use the Symbiote suit at all...

Sorry, I won't harp on WoS, but I can't see how it was a big improvement on 2. 2 had it's problems, and i always felt that Treyarch still had the definitive Spiderman game in them, but now it seems we'll never see them make it as long as Sony are violating the license and Blops is popular...

TLDR, you guys owe me big time.

Top Bottom