• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Cheeky Curiosity: Why base the USA on its Culture and Mass-Media?

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
I'm a just a bit curious, cheekily if you will. I received a huge hate message from a man on another forum regarding my American origins, and he made a lot of invalid points. He claimed that I was a burger eating freak with a gun in hand and a bottle of alcohol in the other. He said that I was rude and intolerant, even though I've never actually spoke to him before. He said a lot of things that were actually funny rather than offensive. Though it did bring a question into my mind: "Do people seriously consider this to be the 'American-Way'?" I mean, to be people from other nations take our media as the way that we really are? I'm just a bit curious and interested in this topic, I'm asking this here because I feel that this forum is full of tolerant and well-spoken people, rather than the eight year's over at DA. And please don't take this as an offensive thread, I'm not looking for any trouble. I'd just like some insightful and interesting feedback and opinions.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Only someone who believes everything they read/hear and is tragically disconnected from reality (or just trying too hard to be offensive) would claim stereotypes are the full truth...?

LeoXCV

Single life for life
It's a bit like how some people believe anyone British is meant to drink tea, eat scones and speak in a posh accent.
It happens everywhere, some follow these stereotypes religiously (Usually to insult), some get extremely offended by them, some merely see it as a kind of universal joke, and others just ignore the idea entirely.

Personally I see majority of them as a universal joke. I never use them as insults, and usually it's the stereotypes I myself would be considered that I actually joke about and imitate just for laughs.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
It is true that people do judge a country based on the TV they see. It's a shame, but it does happen. The problem is, what is shown of American media doesn't show it in the best light. And it's such a shame because there is so much more to America than Hollywood celebrity, Mc Donalds and alleged stupidity and ignorance. It's just not true. You get morons wherever you go. It's not like America is a special breeding ground for idiots.>_<

Just treat people like they treat you and try not to go by stereotypes of that country. The silly actions of a few should not taint the image of an entire nation.

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
It is true that people do judge a country based on the TV they see. It's a shame, but it does happen. The problem is, what is shown of American media doesn't show it in the best light. And it's such a shame because there is so much more to America than Hollywood celebrity, Mc Donalds and alleged stupidity and ignorance. It's just not true. You get morons wherever you go. It's not like America is a special breeding ground for idiots.>_<

Just treat people like they treat you and try not to go by stereotypes of that country. The silly actions of a few should not taint the image of an entire nation.
To me, your country is just the region where your from on the map. It doesn't base you as a person or make you inferior to another, nor does it give another the right to look down on you. Though there is no shame in being prideful from where your from and your cultures, just as long as you don't try to smother others with it! :D

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
The impression people get from America is what we see in the media; this includes both news, TV shows and movies. It's all about sex and violence, and how cool it is to rock up with a massive gun slung over your shoulder, etc. I knew a guy from San Fransisco and according to him, the worst crimes that occurred regularly there were bar fights.
Where I'm from, bar fights happen seldom. Rape, abduction, kidnapping, hit-and-runs, random bombings, hi-jacking and getting shot is an every day thing; it's waiting for you just around the corner, in your driveway, at the traffic lights, in the mall. People are too worried about keeping safe and staying alive to fight one another.

In short, your country and culture does shape you into the person you are. The fact is that what foreigners get to see of your country is not the whole story, nor is it the entire truth, it never is. If they judge you on where you're from, they're ignorant and I'll daresay, stupid.

Top Bottom