• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Character ranking. (Style multiplayer/character) balance

Favourite character that you play as the most/reason

• Nero (strength)

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Nero (fun)

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Dante (strength)

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Dante (fun)

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Lady (strength)

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Lady (fun)

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Trish (strength)

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Trish (fun)

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Vergil (strength)

• Vergil (fun)

• Total voters

Seredith

Hey guys, I think you could say I'm pretty new to the game, completed Nero/Lady missions (with both) and like half Trish. But I got 2 questions. Can you briefly describe each character's strength? Like, rank them in terms of playing difficulty/power? Because I got this feeling that Lady is by far the easiest one, especially considering the fact how easy it is to get to SSS style, while playing Trish and wrecking lightning havoc seems most satisfying, but I have some serious problems achieving higher style. Does this actually connect with their dmg output or do I just suck? Who and why do you play mostly? Thanks in advance, open to discuss :)

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Can you briefly describe each character's strength?

Well let's see.

I'd say Nero is the most balanced. None of his moves are too powerful or too weak. He's got great offense and damage output and good defense, with lots of evasive moves.

Vergil is the one I like playing the most cause he's my favorite character in the series. I'd say he excels at offense. His damage output can be insane since he can spam his Summoned Swords while he's performing combos, and with the Concentration meter at max level you can totally wreck havoc.
However he's not great at defending himself. Sure you got i-frames teleports but they're less reliable than their DMC3 version cause, just like DmC, he has to stick an SS to an enemy before he can teleport. Also teleporting back is locked to Devil Trigger mode. I'd say he's the glass cannon of the bunch.

Lady, as you can imagine, excels at ranged combat and crowd control at a distance. She struggles up close UNLESS you stick out that shotgun. At point blank, that thing destroys everything, and if you're good at jump canceling the shots, you shouldn't worry about anything.

Trish is probably THE go to character for crowd control. So many of her moves are designed to hit multiple enemies at once. Use your hand to hand moves, those are your heavy hitters, forget Sparda when you're surrounded.

And then the best for last. Dante is simply the ****ing boss. He's great at almost everything. He's got amazing offense, amazing defense, the most adaptability. Probably the only thing he lacks is good crowd control. The drawback is that he requires quite a lot of skill to be that good cause you need to be able to quick switch between weapons and Styles depending on the situation. And when I say quick, I REALLY mean it. The reward is so sweet though, DMC4 Dante is no doubt the most SSStylish character in the franchise, the cool looking stuff you can pull off with him is unparalleled.

Seredith

That's a nice summarization, thanks man. I was afraid it will be like this, but well, I could expect the strongest one to be hardest.

I think I will stick with Trish for now as CC is something I really rely on, and Dante is WAY too complicated for now same as Vergil. No sentiments - never played previous games.

Can I ask for any tips for how to learn a character better? Except of simply going through skill list and memorizing everything - Dante has way too many things that you can possibly combine to learn him this way (or at least that's how he seems for a newb).

Or any idea why I struggle to SSStyle with Trish/what to focus on to improve? I'm kinda ashamed to treat you guys as an encyclopedia of stuff that I should probably find out myself, but I don't really intend to master all of the chars and want to know what I'm standing on. Thanks again and in advance :)

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Can I ask for any tips for how to learn a character better?

Practice, practice, and practice again. DMC games' philosophy is to be inventive with your combos. Chain moves however you want, but to start off, as a newcomer, you could try to come up with a couple of combos and repeat them till you don't have to think about your inputs anymore, it becomes automatic. Then, when you reach that level, see which enemies those combos work best against. For the other enemies, try different combos and learn them.

It'll come a point where you'll know exactly each single move's properties and you won't be bound by set combos, and you'll be able to pretty much chain moves however the hell you want. It's difficult for newbies, but that's normal, the DMC games are probably the most technical hack and slashes out there, and in some aspects resemble fighting games more than action games.

Or any idea why I struggle to SSStyle with Trish/what to focus on to improve?

The style meter, in general, works this way: the more you vary your moves the higher will go, and if you get hit, it'll go down.

So the reasons why you struggle with the style meter with Trish is probably either because you get hit a lot, or because you don't vary your moves enough. It's hard to say without seeing you in action so I can't give much more advices than that.

Top Bottom