• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Catherine Goes Too Hard in Japan

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Some may have forgotten about the latest Atlus game, Catherine, that I wrote about or gaming articles have written about that just recently released in Japan. Well, from the gameplay previously shown, the game presents puzzle-platforming gameplay. Obstacles are your enemy as well as big, demonic, freaks-of-natures waiting to stab you with a fork and what not. Well, since the game’s release, Japanese gamers have been finding the game difficulty a bit too much. They found that even easy mode was ridiculous! That’s gotta be insane then. I played the Japanese demo on my PS3 and from the two levels I played there, I thought the game was mildly challenging, with of course the first level being easier than the second. Here’s another gameplay video of some of the later levels of Catherine.

[youtube]PIJs6flkRQc[/youtube]​

Some quoted gamers stated the following comments on the game:
“It’s addictive but very stressful. You only have a limited number of retries, but the puzzle gameplay can hook you.
However, losing all your lives and seeing the Game Over screen over and over, and being dumped back to the title screen and having to reload the game and rewatch/skip all the events is seriously tedious.
Why they limited the retries when you are just forced to reload it all and start over is the real puzzle in this game.”

“This is only for the hardcore. Be prepared if you buy it.”

“It has multiple endings but it’s a puzzle game and is so difficult I really wouldn’t want to play it through again.”

“Most of it is the puzzle parts, and they are fiendishly hard.”
Despite similar comments about the game’s difficulty, reviews have been more or less good. So hopefully, Atlus decides to bring the game overseas! I’ve been a fan of Atlus since I started playing Persona 3 for the PSP last year! That’s not to say their other RPGs aren’t good, because most of them are highly rated. If Catherine does manage to get an international version, let’s hope they take it easy on us dumb Americans and allow a more lenient play setting.

Source: http://wompworld.com/2011/02/20/catherine-goes-too-hard-in-japan/

In a summary, this game has extremely hard difficulty and meant for hardcore players. Unless Atlus releases a patch to make the game easier, most players will avoid playing this game.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Well, given Atlus' record with making games that are evil even on easy (Trauma Center, I'm lookin' at you!) this isn't a surprise.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I'm glad i wasn't the only one who found Trauma Center a bit nasty.
IMO, this isn't sounding very good for a western release (ie too difficult, it won't sell).

Top Bottom