• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Capcom Upping Production on Major Titles.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Snipped from a news article over at The Escapist, thought this might be of interest to you guys.

Logan Westbrook of The Escapist said:
Capcom Upping Production on Major Titles.

Capcom's big hitters will be coming thick and fast in the future as the company unveils plans to double its major releases.

Capcom plans to increase the number of big games it releases from major franchises like Resident Evil from two a year to three or four. Capcom's goal is to try and stabilize its sales and avoid drops in earnings by releasing more software over the course of the year.

In order to maintain that level of output, Capcom plans to outsource much of the development duties to other studios, primarily in Europe and North America. Capcom hopes that this use of external resources will also let it cut its development time down from four years to just two or three.

It's much too early to call this news either good or bad, as a lot will depend on how it's implemented, which studios are involved and a whole host of other factors. It's entirely possible - and quite likely - that it will be better for some games than others. But while there's a lot to be cautious about here, there's also a lot of very interesting things that could come of this, and for some franchises, this might be the best thing that has ever happened.

Source: Andriasang.

With any luck, we might just see a new Devil May Cry game in the near future if this is Capcom's game plan.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Angelo Credo;263010 said:
Snipped from a news article over at The Escapist, thought this might be of interest to you guys.

Source: Andriasang.

With any luck, we might just see a new Devil May Cry game in the near future if this is Capcom's game plan.

Hopefully, higher quality RE and DMC games will be released in the future if Capcom is serious about this.

Great find. :D

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
I certainly hope so.

And what's with the over 100 comment?Hell,you just need 30 good veterans[like the ones Capcom fired] to make a good game,not over 100,underpaid noobs that re-use past formulas to make "excellent games".

Woohoo to Capcom!And if they are still wondering about the sales flunk last year,let them wonder!If they have achieved that level of stupidness,it's beyond our[the fans] hands anymore.

Vampi

Actually this news is kinda terrible. That means Capcom is going to rush the Developers in releasing a game. I thought Street Fighter and Resident Evil are milked now...i ain't seen nothing yet i suppose. This is ridiculous. Capcom is getting more dumber by the minute.

Everyone is clamoring for a new RE. Um, hello RE 5 released last year, and then we had the Gold Edition this year. And now with an RE for the Nintendo 3DS and on top of that a RE for PSP, the series is going the way of Guitar Hero and there's too many games for it. And they're all aren't that great (RE 5 was terrible as well as RE 4. I hate this stupid over the should mechanic) and they're no longer Survival Horror, its just pure action, which RE isn't about.

And lastly, i swear if DMC 5 is going to star Nero yet again i don't see myself sticking to the series. Fine, i rather have a nice little teaser since most likely it'll be released in 2012 (even though DMC's 10th Anniversary is next year) but i certainly don't expect the game to release this year or the next.

This is just a disaster waiting to happen. Capcom is going to be the new Koei/Activision. Offering nothing new while milking there franchises.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
^They've been milked for years along with MonHun and now with the "nostalgia campaign" of the last two Megaman games.

And that's very harsh for Koei.Sure they milk-port their Dynasty warriors games,but they are not just that!

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Never said it was a good thing, frankly I'm worried that outsourcing their games to Western companies will result in a decrease in the quality of their games, I just hope Capcom aren't thinking Quantity > Quality.

Meg

Sounds to me like Capcom is taking the Guitar Hero path...

Crap.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
Angelo Credo;263021 said:
Never said it was a good thing, frankly I'm worried that outsourcing their games to Western companies will result in a decrease in the quality of their games, I just hope Capcom aren't thinking Quantity > Quality.

The last four years are proof of what you feared,mr.Credo!Ever since the MonHun break out,it's eiasiey moniaey for Capcom.To bad they realised it early[three years ago_Only in just a year.Damn.]

Anyway,the problem is that there forum,like the Gamespot/Faqs forums are just filled with braindead people and since,they are,unfortunatelly,the majority of gamers on the west[in Japan they have problem with Otakus.Not the ones we see here,but the real dealo_O] they take their opinion since they are.as they claim to be,"fans".And the fact that the western branches have hired equally braindead people that either don't care or don't know what bussiness is.

Vampi

Angelo Credo;263021 said:

I'm not saying you're racist or anything, but in sum way it does sound racist. I just think since nowadays Western games are more dominant in sales and more successful that the Japanese want to adapt. Thus why Capcom hires Western developers to make their already established games (Capcom said they'll handle new IP's).

I just think we have to see what Ninja Theory has to offer with DMC. At least Ninja Theory is known for concentrating on the narrative alot (Heavenly Sword and now Enslaved come to mind). DMC needs a dedicated team just like how DMC 1 had with Team Little Devils. Cause right now, ever since Bayonetta came out, DMC's gameplay is beginning to get cobwebs a lil. And Nero's Devil Bringer isn't going to cut it anymore. I'm not saying they should reboot the series like RE 4, but they need to do sumthing (like oh...bring back a character everyone wanted in the first place and giving him his own game *ahem*).

The gaming industry is very cutthroat nowadays, with studios closing when even one single game doesn't sell well.

I just think taking the Activision Guitar Hero route and milking their franchises and not going into their back catelog of games (like oh...a new Strider or a Megaman Legends 3) that RE is just going to be stale in a few years. I rather have the series end to be honest. Once Shinji Mikami left, RE was done for.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Vampi;263032 said:
I'm not saying you're racist or anything, but in sum way it does sound racist. I just think since nowadays Western games are more dominant in sales and more successful that the Japanese want to adapt. Thus why Capcom hires Western developers to make their already established games (Capcom said they'll handle new IP's).

I don't think it's fair to insinuate that I'm racist when I've made a very valid point, Western developers are RENOWNED for pumping out game after game, going for the quantity > quality approach, and most of the games tend to be crap.
Activision being the worst of the publishers out there, and everyone under them doing the exact same thing, Infinity Ward and Treyarch with ENDLESS instalments of COD which have only reduced in quality since number 2, the god knows how many Guitar Hero games, Rock Band, the Halo games, hell, even Left 4 Dead is supposed to be getting a new instalment soon, and it's not even been a year since the last one.

All of these games have been pumped out year after year, or every two years, and each game has degraded in quality by quite a significant amount, but it'll stay this way because people will buy them, people are idiots, so long as these companies have a market, they'll just milk existing franchises to death, it's a nasty habit that Western developers have adopted, it's the simple truth that the Western gaming doctrine seems to be Quantity > Quality.

I just think we have to see what Ninja Theory has to offer with DMC. At least Ninja Theory is known for concentrating on the narrative alot (Heavenly Sword and now Enslaved come to mind). DMC needs a dedicated team just like how DMC 1 had with Team Little Devils. Cause right now, ever since Bayonetta came out, DMC's gameplay is beginning to get cobwebs a lil. And Nero's Devil Bringer isn't going to cut it anymore. I'm not saying they should reboot the series like RE 4, but they need to do sumthing (like oh...bring back a character everyone wanted in the first place and giving him his own game *ahem*).

I've always been in constant support of Ninja Theory adopting the Devil May Cry series, they're one of the few developers I have any faith in these days, I'm hoping they'll add a MUCH needed breath of life into the series without slaughtering it.

The gaming industry is very cutthroat nowadays, with studios closing when even one single game doesn't sell well.

GRIN studios being a perfect example of that.

I just think taking the Activision Guitar Hero route and milking their franchises and not going into their back catelog of games (like oh...a new Strider or a Megaman Legends 3) that RE is just going to be stale in a few years. I rather have the series end to be honest. Once Shinji Mikami left, RE was done for.

I agree entirely, as I said above, Activision is one of the worst culprits for things like this, the thing is though, if Capcom start outsourcing to Western devs like that news article suggests, then it's likely at least one of their games will come under jurisdiction of an Activision run company, so it'll be milked to no end until it's stale as hell.

Meg

^ Here here! Everything you said is true. I agree that DMC is in good hands with Ninja Theory. Hopefully after Enslaved comes out will get some details on a new DMC game. My guess to why we haven't heard anything yet is because they don't want attention to be taken away from Enslaved.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Surely this is now about quatity over quality.
We've all experienced what can happen to a game series when developers chuck games out willy-nilly. Look at DMC2!

Captain Ren

Tribble
godamnit. actually, you could sum up the whole article by "lololol over 9000 street fighter games and crossover lololol haters gonna hate"

:lol:

Top Bottom