• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Capcom: "there is a possibility" of Resident Evil series reboot"

m100t8s

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-a-possibility-of-resident-evil-series-reboot

RE Revelations director talks about a possibility of a RE reboot, And how it might be an open-world game with the reboot and some stuff. Also, He's talking about the positive feedbacks they got after the fans were happy with RE REvelations port to the consoles, And how RE REvelations sales will effect the Resident Evil series direction, If it sold well, They will keep the horror and the atmosphere, If it sold poorly, They will go back to work on RE games like RE6 and RE: ORC.

Thoughts?

Now after the DMC's reboot fans reaction, What would you think about an RE reboot being made by RE Revelations team?

For me, Nothing is wrong with a reboot if it was good, Especially that RE REvelations team know how to make good horror games.

I don't really know if this is relating to DmC or what, But I think rebooting RE might be after the good reviews DMC reboot got? We're dealing in the same case here with DMC, What do you think will happen if they rebooted RE?

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
RE:Reboot 2020 sounds Good ! give this poor series a rest for a while

Do a freaking Ominusha Reboot

Do A Megaman Reboot !

Oh what's that Crapcom ? you can't because all those devs who made those games have given you a middle finger and left your company ?

m100t8s

RE:Reboot 2020 sounds Good ! give this poor series a rest for a while

Do a freaking Ominusha Reboot

Do A Megaman Reboot !

Oh what's that Crapcom ? you can't because all those devs who made those games have given you a middle finger and left your company ?
They can still make these games even without the old developers.
Look at RE: Revelations (I consider it better than RE4 which was made by the original creator)
and DMC3-4 were also pretty good without the original creator and the team who made DMC1.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
They can still make these games even without the old developers.
Look at RE: Revelations (I consider it better than RE4 which was made by the original creator)
and DMC3-4 were also pretty good without the original creator and the team who made DMC1.

DMC3-4 were good only because it used DMC 1 as a stepping stone same goes for RE:revelations

And we're talking about a BIG Reboot

and i don't WANT to even think about a reboot of resident evil for like 10 years i'm that sick of this series

and i don't think they can really do anything with megaman because they've sucked the hell out of X series

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Honestly, I'm not surprised if this will happen. These days it seems like all the game makers do is want to reboot. Nintento with their WiiU and Wii all have so much Mario and sonic and hardly any original 3rd party games. Just rebooting their existing game brands.

Capcom is just doing what other companies do. They think it is safer to reboot existing brands than take a risk on making something new.

RE has already moved away from the survival horror that it was in the first few games, and let's face it, there have been a load of spinoffs and 6 numbered main titles. I guess Capcom thinks it's now safer to reboot. But if they do, I wonder what new direction the games will take? :ermm:

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
If they can do a good reboot, then let them. Though, I don't think reboot is the right word. 'Remake', perhaps?

See, reboot means 'to start over'. I don't want them to start over with Resident Evil, right back up to RE6, because it would be boring as hell. If they changed everything about Resident Evil, maybe I'd be interested.

In any case, they need to go back to survival horror, instead of 'drama horror' or 'action'. Zombies wielding rocket launchers and machine guns just doesn't do it for me. Never seemed to make sense.

I don't mean ''go back to RE4'', because RE4 wasn't that awesome or frightening either. Nor did I need to survive; shooting zombies in the face worked wonders. Survival horror, please. With the emphasis on horror.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
If they can do a good reboot, then let them. Though, I don't think reboot is the right word. 'Remake', perhaps?

See, reboot means 'to start over'. I don't want them to start over with Resident Evil, right back up to RE6, because it would be boring as hell. If they changed everything about Resident Evil, maybe I'd be interested.

In any case, they need to go back to survival horror, instead of 'drama horror' or 'action'. Zombies wielding rocket launchers and machine guns just doesn't do it for me. Never seemed to make sense.

I don't mean ''go back to RE4'', because RE4 wasn't that awesome or frightening either. Nor did I need to survive; shooting zombies in the face worked wonders. Survival horror, please. With the emphasis on horror.

I don't think remake is the word you are looking for either since they have been doing remakes for RE already. i think reboot or re-imagining might fit.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I don't think remake is the word you are looking for either since they have been doing remakes for RE already. i think reboot or re-imagining might fit.

Reimagining, then, as I explained why 'reboot' is the wrong word for it. In any case, calling it a spin-off wouldn't work, since for a spin-off to exist there would have to be source material. If RE were reimagined, there would be no ongoing original RE story, and therefore, no spin-off.

Tmfaria

Member of the Order
I literally look to the newer games as a reboot in itself.

RE really got 'rebooted' from RE4. The mechanics of the game changed the RE experience, along with RE5 and RE6's graphics.

If Capcom were to 'reboot' the RE series, they would have to change a lot of things to make it different (in my opinion).

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Revamping would work.
Take what they have & restore the horror element, reconstruct the gameplay to fit a survival horror style & continue ResidentEvil with 7.
Not reboot to reset the storylines or characters, hire a developer that's familiar & has done survival horror, no fans alienated & the story goes forward.

That could be an idea, though I wonder what will come after RE6. I mean, everything's already been done, I guess. Leon is now, what, forty years old? Well, not that old, but you get my point. I think RE was supposed to end with RE6. Not sure what else there is to do. ''Hey, guess what, Leon? Zombies again. Get to work.'' Or Chris having to do his Rambo routine again.

I guess they should do something new.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
lol That's a Revamp.
They upgraded graphics, character models.....blah blah & the story still went forward & away from survival horror.
We want them to Revamp it back to the survival horror ResidentEvil was.

I agree, i think they ruined Leon S. Kennedy, Jill Valentine, Chris Redfield, Albert Wesker, & Ada Wong permanently for a survival horror style ResidentEvil.

They've become action heroes, so how can they now go back to a slow pace terrifying survival horror after they've shown they can go Rambo & Jackie Chan on a zombie situation.

Capcom screwed up that universe for them & the only way they'd fit it again is a Reboot.

They could make it work, they just need to hamstring the characters and hit them with a new threat that is hard to combat. Look at what Joakim is doing with The Phantom Pain.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Hey, the entire concept of the second RE4 prototype was to take an established character from the franchise, already hardened by his previous adventures and cocksure to his survival, and put him into a bizarre supernatural situation beyond his comprehension or capacity to adequately combat. There's no reason that concept couldn't work in a new RE game.

I love RE4 more than anybody, and I still wonder what could have been...

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Now my take on the topic.......reboot as entirety is an iffy issue....but from a story standpoint yes RE needs one.

As long as they return back to survival horror roots (reboot it, remake it, revamp it, restart, make a spin-off series, it doesn't matter).

However, don't beat the story to produce more stuff. Resident Evil as a story ended after Wesker (the main villain and key focus of the villains for the entire series) died and Ouroboros (the main villains main objective) was destroyed in RE5.

RE6 story was forced sh*t that was extremely pushed out of RE's ass and now RE is constipated. Plus RE6 was the climax of the series...what now...Umbrella is dust, Neo-Umbrella seems like good guys, Ada seems to want help Leon and will always be shrouded in mystery, Chris and Jill finally reunited, the G virus is gone, the T virus is gone, Las Plagas is gone, and the new C virus is most likely gone due to Jake, Chris seems to want to be done with the BSA stuff, the president is dead, the world seems to be recovering after this age of bio-terrorism, and well what now.

Also RE overall story is littered with tons of plot holes and inconsistencies to the point calling RE swiss chess won't be enough...RE's story is one of Raiden's victims, a jumble collection of random body parts and pieces coated in blood.

Going back to RE's survival horror roots are great but going back to its story not so much....unless if they pull off a large time skip and continue the series with new main characters, a new story direction, new villains, and a new plot and don't look back or they degrade the story further with bunch of side stories including our favorite characters.

If your going to milk RE....fine...but at least treat its story with respect like you did MegaMan....I mean MegaMan was rebooted, revamped, and spin-offed a lot compared to same many comic books. They wanted a darker more serious MegaMan story line...bam they made MegaMan X, they wanted a MegaMan sandbox in the style of Mario 64...boom MegaMan Legends, RPG MegaMan....Battle Network.....a 3D version of Battle Network....Starforce, a Zero spin-off...MegaMan Zero give that dude his own series...he is not blue and doesn't have an arm cannon, and since Zero ended what now.....MegaMan ZX.

Outside MegaMan they rebooted Bionic Commando and Final Fight...though those failed

Capcom has been doing this sh*t for decades....its not something new that they're highest selling and biggest franchise might, could, or should get one.

If they're going to milk it might as well milk it the right way because lets face it asking Capcom to not milk RE or any of their flagship IPs is like asking Nintendo to not milk Mario or Sega to not milk Sonic (poor Sonic).

Top Bottom