• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Capcom hates Dante?

GinDan

I read somewhere that the first director of DMC2 disliked Kamiya's Dante + Bingo Moriashi don't like to write for Dante. And Itsuno wants to exclude Dante from the Story there is an interview with Itsuno in the manga Vision of V he says DMC5 is the story of Nico, V (ergil) Nero but he's not talking about Dante.

Vergil had better treatment than Dante. I hope with all my heart that Kamiya gets Dante back and makes a game; Because Itsuno and Capcom are doing ****.

Goldsickle

I'm interested in reading this if there's a link.
It's always best to confirm directly from the staff.

I remember how fans made assumptions that Hideki Kamiya has "hard feelings" towards Capcom for "what they did to his beloved franchise".
But when interviewed, he still shows respect for Capcom and will block anyone who speaks ill of the company on his Twitter.

So yeah, I'd rather hear it from the developers themselves.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
There's also the artbook stuff. @berto posted them a while back.
Odd. I didn't get a notification for this mention.

Anyway. Hate is probably not the right word. God, I hate having to keep saying it like this. I feel like I'm advertising. I made a video a while back and I talked about this. It's not that they hate Dante but rather that they don't know what to do with him. Dante is Kamiya's character and Itsuno's mentioned in interviews how he doesn't want to 'desecrate' the character, but they don't know how to go about making him talk, move or be. That's why they want to shift to Nero, because he is their creation and they feel more comfortable working on him.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Odd. I didn't get a notification for this mention.

Anyway. Hate is probably not the right word. God, I hate having to keep saying it like this. I feel like I'm advertising. I made a video a while back and I talked about this. It's not that they hate Dante but rather that they don't know what to do with him. Dante is Kamiya's character and Itsuno's mentioned in interviews how he doesn't want to 'desecrate' the character, but they don't know how to go about making him talk, move or be. That's why they want to shift to Nero, because he is their creation and they feel more comfortable working on him.
I tend to not be notified either.

@GinDan

For myself, I'm open to Kamiya returning to DMC but I'm not expecting much. Bayonetta feels like DMC's excesses dialed up to 11. So I'm skeptical how he'd handle the storytelling.

Bingo and Itsuno's problems with Dante aren't uncommon. They are more present if you read franchises like Marvel, DC, Star Wars, Doctor Who etc. Learning how to adapt to existing franchises is a skillset you learn. It's probably more common in the States than Japan.

Last edited:

Goldsickle

“DMC 3” has even been called “DMC 0” at times.

Bingo: There were talks of setting it in a parallel world at first, because Vergil being alive doesn’t quite mesh with the events of “DMC (1)”. But Itsuno-san said, “If it’s interesting, then do it and don’t worry. If it has to be a parallel world, then it’s a parallel world.” I agreed, so I went ahead and wrote it that way.
So at some point, DMC3 could have been an alternate reality or even a reboot....?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
So at some point, DMC3 could have been an alternate reality or even a reboot....?
I find it funny that they didn't think about just setting the game after 2. Just take the Dante and Vergil aspect and set the story in hell.

For example, Vergil returns and works for someone who wants to raise the Temen-Ni-Gru. Dante decides to stop the bad guy but also wants to leave the Demon World. So his central goals are in conflict...

In hindsight it just feels more intuitive. Sometimes the easier option is just the best one.

@GinDan
The initial director of DMC2 was never revealed. In the artbook 3142 other members explained about it.

From what I gather, DMC2 was a rush job that was cobbled together from existing game concepts. There was another protagonist with a green jacket. I think they also said the director liked quiet heroes so all those decisions probably impacted DMC2's direction.

@berto can you explain further?

Last edited:

BlackAngel

@Goldsickle
@Picard had a list of statements from the creators during DMC4.

@GinDan

I don't think it's hatred for Dante, but confusion.

Dante is a character Bingo inherited from Kamiya. Nero is a character he created so he probably has a better sense of who Nero is.
No wonder the story is so weak.

Top Bottom