• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Can someone explain to me how V is not a terrorist?

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
Hmm, you might have point there.

And I guess by my logic DmC would be supporting terrorism.
i don't think its supports terrorism

but in the worlds of DmC and V for vendetta the people can't help themselves if they can't see there being controlled

so depending on how you want to look at it the terrorism is justified

even tho in DmC its allot more black and white good vs evil
where in V its all in a Gray area whether or not what V is doing is right

Meg

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Enough said.

Exejpgwmv

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Enough said.
No.
A freedom fighter can be a terrorist, or at least use terroristic methods.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying V is a bad guy because he's terrorist.(And if I did I would be a hypocrite.)

Exejpgwmv

i don't think its supports terrorism

but in the worlds of DmC and V for vendetta the people can't help themselves if they can't see there being controlled

so depending on how you want to look at it the terrorism is justified

even tho in DmC its allot more black and white good vs evil
where in V its all in a Gray area whether or not what V is doing is right
Oh I know that.

I just wanted to know why fans of the movie or novel, object so much to V being called a terrorist.

Meg

No.
A freedom fighter can be a terrorist.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying V is a bad guy because he's terrorist.(And if I did I would be a hypocrite.)
I'm not saying he is or isn't a terrorist. Rather that it's all a matter of perspective.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/20/Bioshock_infinite_lutece_twins.jpg

He was committing crimes against a corrupt state that killed many of its own people and practically imprisoned the rest. Now we can be here all day arguing if his methods were right, (from a moral standpoint- obviously no) but you can't deny that a coup was necessary.

And so, the government obviously sees him as purely a terrorist, but the people he is empowering and liberating probably see him as a freedom fighter.

Exejpgwmv

I'm not saying he is or isn't a terrorist. Rather that it's all a matter of perspective.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/20/Bioshock_infinite_lutece_twins.jpg

He was committing crimes against a corrupt state that killed many of its own people and practically imprisoned the rest. Now we can be here all day arguing if his methods were right, (from a moral standpoint- obviously no) but you can't deny that a coup was necessary.

And so, the government obviously sees him as purely a terrorist, but the people he is empowering and liberating probably see him as a freedom fighter.
It's not a matter of perspective.
Terrorism:
  • Involve violent acts or acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;
  • Appear to be intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping.
Unless your using a different definition for the word, he is a terrorist.
Regardless of what he fights for or why he fights.
Source: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/terrorism/terrorism-definition

(Sorry if I come off as rude or condescending.)

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Terrorism:
  • Involve violent acts or acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;
  • Appear to be intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping.

That line doesn't mean a terrorist isn't a terrorist by definition, what it means is that people have a tendency to disregard that they are themselves terrorists if fighting a cause through it. Or, accepting that they are terrorists and committing terrorist acts "for the greater good".

V is a terrorist by the definition of it, but the point is that the country sunk so low it is the only way to force change, or, that people have to die and be affected in the cause because there is no way to affect change peacefully.

Meg

snip for space
*sigh* Have you seriously never heard that quote before? That one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." It's a pretty well known quote. At least in the USA, it is. Not sure where you're from. Well either way, it's a famous quote.

And posting definitions isn't enough. There's a difference between denotation (dictionary definition) and connotation (personal definition). All I'm saying, is that regardless of what is considered the true definition of terrorism, the people in the movie he is liberating probably don't see him that way. So it is a matter of perspective. Their perspective. And since the government is the bad guy in the movie, we the viewers are inclined to be sympathetic with V, Evie, and the people of Britain: the characters that wouldn't view V as a terrorist.

To me, he is both a terrorist and a freedom fighter. I'm simply explaining how/why other people would see it differently.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Yeah, he is both. And the world isn't black and white enough that a good guy can always win by peaceful means, etc.

Exejpgwmv

V is a terrorist by the definition of it, but the point is that the country sunk so low it is the only way to force change, or, that people have to die and be affected in the cause because there is no way to affect change peacefully.
I know that. Why are you telling me this?

Remember I made this thread for people to explain to me how V is not terrorist.
Primarily because so many people object to him being called as such.

Blue_Rose

One way to get yourself shot
Terrorism:
  • Involve violent acts or acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;v

Well it is a matter of perspective. If those acts of violence are committed against a certain population, then that population would view the one who committed the acts as a terrorist. To the "terrorist's" comrades, they would view him as a hero.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I know that. Why are you telling me this?

Remember I made this thread for people to explain to me how V is not terrorist.
Primarily because so many people object to him being called as such.

Well then they cannot. Because he is. What they are doing instead is justifying his terrorism.

Nobody who understands what a terrorist actually is can then answer you in this thread.

Exejpgwmv

Not sure where you're from.
MERICA!!!

the people in the movie he is liberating probably don't see him that way. So it is a matter of perspective.
That isn't how it works though.
Just because you don't see something a certain way doesn't make it not so.
(Example: It's a fact that the earth revolves around the sun. Unless you plan to change the definition of the word "revolve".)

I'm simply explaining how/why other people would see it differently.
And on that front, you did so perfectly.
But it's not the point of the thread.

Exejpgwmv

Well it is a matter of perspective. If those acts of violence are committed against a certain population, then that population would view the one who committed the acts as a terrorist. To the "terrorist's" comrades, they would view him as a hero.
See my latest response.^

Top Bottom