• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Book Recommendations

Meg

Here's something I thought would be fun! :D Post a list of books you like and then someone else can recommend books for you based on what you like. :3

Here's some of my favorites:
Rebecca
The Catcher in the Rye
We the Living
A Tale of Two Cities

I also really like books by James Rollins and Vince Flynn. :D Basically any good espionage or action adventure Indiana Jones-ish stories I like.

How about you guys?

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Mine would be:

The Forbidden Game trilogy (L.J.Smith)
Skyfall (Anthony Eaton)
The Waterhorse
The Book of Mischief
The Art of War (Sun Tzu)
The Pern series (Anne McAffrey)
The Last Vampire (Christopher Pike)
The Sweet Valley franchise (Francine Pascal)
Romeo and Juliet (duh)

I haven't read any of those books Meg so I can't contribute much else to the thread.

Meg

^ Ah that's ok. :D

I see you like The Art of War. Would you be interested in other military books?

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Most of my collection is manga.(Yu-gi-oh!, Loveless, Nana, Dance in the Vampire Bunde, Blood Sucker and Battle Royale. There are also two Star Trek manga books)

But i do like:
Star Trek: To reign in hell: the exile of Khan Noonien Singh
Bram Stoker's Dracula
The Darren Shan Series
Both Devil may cry novels.

Meg

DAMN IT ALL WHY CAN'T WE EDIT

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
I can edit my posts actually. :/

EDIT (Irony not intended): DT, have you ever read the Eragon books? I liked them when I was your age. (That made me sound really old XD)

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Actually I did read the Eragon books. Odd that the movie is fairly accurate to it as well.

Ronan

oakheart
Premium
The Book Thief
Dragons of the Autumn Twilight (Dragon Lance Series)
Harry Potter (of course :p)
Hunger Games Trilogy (blame my Test Prep teacher for that XD)
ANYTHING Sherlock Holmes related.

That's about it. I'm sure there's more, I have a freaking library in my room. >.>

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Meg, If you enjoyed "1984", you might also like "Brave New World", "Farenheit 451" and "Catch 22" (if you haven't read them).

My personal favourite books are:

"Alamut" by Vladimir Bartol
"Steppenwolf" by Hermann Hesse
"Dracula" by Bram Stoker
"Dune" by Frank Herbert
"Bravo Two Zero" by Andy McNab
"Wild Swans" by Jung Chang
"Memoirs of a Geisha" by Arthur Golden
And anything by Tolkien or John Gribbin.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
^ Ah that's ok. :D

I see you like The Art of War. Would you be interested in other military books?

Very much! :D

Hmm...for Harry Potter...the only books I can really think of that incorporates magic and witches is The Secret Circle series, but it's YA. In the sense that I don't think it quite breaches the lines for a mature audience like HP does. It is a tad bit darker than Harry Potter, more in the lines of the Deathly Hallows but...I'm not sure if it's everyone's cuppa tea.

If you liked Tolkien you might like Terry Pratchett. Very diverse worlds with various weird little characters (I love how he does the accents for them), very fantasy oriented.

@VB - You can try The Broken Well trilogy by Sam Bowring. I got it because the excerpt of the first book sounded insanely similar to Dante and Vergil's situation whatnot with the good twin bad twin thing. And Losara (the apparently 'evil' one) reminded me of Vergil. A LOT. The difference though is that the two male leads in the books are not brothers - they're one and the same split in half.

You can see if they have it for sale on amazon, because the author is an Aussie and his first books in the trilogy came out here in New Zealand only last year. Not very popular books, I still haven't seen the second book come in store (unless I missed it) so you might need to do some digging online for a copy. I don't think the third one in the trilogy is out yet. But VERY good, nonetheless, just make sure you have undisturbed time when you start to read it. It's unfortunately not one of those books that you can just pick up where you left off - you need to make it straight through the first five chapters to wrap your head around what's going on. Because there is a lot going on.

And...uuuuuggggghhhh. Am I the only one who hasn't read Dracula yet? And I need to read it for research, but nuuuuuu, of course my dumb library won't have it! GAH! *headdesk*

Meg

^ Ok MV, well for you I'd say "American Caesar." Its a fantastic book about the life of General Douglas MacArthur as well as gives great info about the wars he fought it. I highly recommend it to anyone with even a passing interest in military history.

Mr Anderson

gun slinging sword master
I reccomend the Sword of Truth series for those into fantasy but be mature there are a few adult themes they don't dominate the story but the are there.I also reccomend Dragon Road by Laurence Yep I believe, anyways it's a good historical fiction book that you can appreciate.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
the "wheel of time" series by Robert Jordan.

(i've read more books than i could possibly remember and liked almost all of them but i don't have 5 years to list everything so instead i just decided to recommend the series i am reading right now)

Meg

Meg, If you enjoyed "1984", you might also like "Brave New World", "Farenheit 451" and "Catch 22" (if you haven't read them).

Ah, thanks Lexy. Though I have read all of those before. XD

Top Bottom